Thread: Something a llittle different...Rules Committee

Legend

User Info Menu

Something a llittle different...Rules Committee

I was watching the game last night and every time the Broncos would kick off I kept thinking (and hoping) for AB to get a nice return and give the offense field position. Alas, the Broncos didn't want AB's hands on the ball in the return game period, so they simply kicked it out of the end zone every time and alas, no returns.

I hated moving the kickoff up to the 35 at the beginning of the year, but as kick returners began taking chances from 7, 8, 9 yards deep in the end zone the kick return became really exciting. Here's my proposal to make the kick return even better and leave the kickoff at the 35.

Force the kicking team to keep the ball in play on the kickoff. If it goes out of bounds on the sideline put the offense at the 40 as always. If a kickoff sails completely out of the end zone without ever hitting the field of play, put the ball on the 40. If the kickoff hits in the field of play and then goes out through the end zone put it on the 20 as usual.

This keeps an exciting play in the game or puts your defense in a bad way by putting the offense at the 40.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Something a llittle different...Rules Committee

While I'd love to see something -- anything -- to make KRs a real part of the game again, I just can't see it. The NFL's justification for moving the ball was to reduce player injuries. They want to see less returns, not more.

I personally want to see the ball moved back, but make any pre-kick motion by anyone but the kicker a penalty. That compromise gives us more returnable balls but still lets the league say they care about player safety.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    While I'd love to see something -- anything -- to make KRs a real part of the game again, I just can't see it. The NFL's justification for moving the ball was to reduce player injuries. They want to see less returns, not more.

I personally want to see the ball moved back, but make any pre-kick motion by anyone but the kicker a penalty. That compromise gives us more returnable balls but still lets the league say they care about player safety.
    All I know is that it just sucked last night that the chance for the Steelers to turn things around offensively was basically neutered by simply kicking the ball into the cheap seats after a score and put the Steelers on the 20.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    All I know is that it just sucked last night that the chance for the Steelers to turn things around offensively was basically neutered by simply kicking the ball into the cheap seats after a score and put the Steelers on the 20.
    Yeah - but that doesn't happen as consistently as it does in mile high air. In most other stadiums, we get a chance at a few returns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Yeah - but that doesn't happen as consistently as it does in mile high air. In most other stadiums, we get a chance at a few returns.
    I'd like to guarantee it; the kick return is an exciting play. There aren't enough of them, they've limited the run up by the coverage team, moved the ball up and eliminated the wedge, it's as safe as it can be without just putting the ball on the 20 without a kick.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -