Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Props to Ben...

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Props to Ben...

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    The throw to Wallace wasn't under thrown, Ben actually "threw Wallace open" 50 yards down field. He saw that Wallace had inside position on the DB and threw the ball so that it was a foot race for Wallace and the trailing DB to get to the ball. The ball was thrown to a great spot any NFL receiver needs to make that catch when your quarterback makes a play like that. I thought that was a great throw. That drop was emblematic of Wallace the second half of the season (unfortunately).

Pappy
    Wrong. Watch it again.He had a step on the corner ,like he almost always does.If Ben leads him and Wallace doesn't have to break stride , it's a score.

He may have thrown it away from the safety a bit , who was trailing a tad but he still had to almost completely stop for it ,again , like he almost always does.
    he didn't stop he had to adjust and that's part of being a WR. Wallace isn't on rails... that was a great throw and Wallace whiffed.
    If your definition of "great throw" is not hitting him in stride than you're right. He makes alot of "great throws"

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Leper Friend]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Leper Friend":1yv319t4
    The throw to Wallace wasn't under thrown, Ben actually "threw Wallace open" 50 yards down field. He saw that Wallace had inside position on the DB and threw the ball so that it was a foot race for Wallace and the trailing DB to get to the ball. The ball was thrown to a great spot any NFL receiver needs to make that catch when your quarterback makes a play like that. I thought that was a great throw. That drop was emblematic of Wallace the second half of the season (unfortunately).

Pappy
    Wrong. Watch it again.He had a step on the corner ,like he almost always does.If Ben leads him and Wallace doesn't have to break stride , it's a score.

He may have thrown it away from the safety a bit , who was trailing a tad but he still had to almost completely stop for it ,again , like he almost always does.
    he didn't stop he had to adjust and that's part of being a WR. Wallace isn't on rails... that was a great throw and Wallace whiffed.
    If your definition of "great throw" is not hitting him in stride than you're right. He makes alot of "great throws"[/quote:1yv319t4]

On that play it was a great throw because he had defenders on his outside and Ben threw him open on the inside.

The ball hit Wallace in the hands, arm, stomach and he didn't catch it.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

[quote=feltdizz]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Leper Friend":wp47d0q9

Pappy

If your definition of "great throw" is not hitting him in stride than you're right. He makes alot of "great throws"
    On that play it was a great throw because he had defenders on his outside and Ben threw him open on the inside.

The ball hit Wallace in the hands, arm, stomach and he didn't catch it.[/quote:wp47d0q9]
    He absolutely should have caught it , no way I'm arguing that.And if this didn't happen so often I probably wouldn't even mention this particular throw.However , he did have to completely slow down , like almost always on his deep throws.He may have thrown away from the safety but he had a step on both. If just leads him and Wallace doesn't break stride and he outruns everyone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Props to mediocrity....While I didn't see the whole game, I did see the end 3rd and 4th quarters. During that time I saw Ben make as many bad plays as good. He continues to hold the ball too long when he has time to throw and takes a ridiculous amount of sacks.

The last drive in regulation should have resulted in at least a field goal attempt. Ben did not make any significant plays to help out on that drive. He had a critical delay of game and took sack after sack. Ben was not the difference maker that great QB's should be in big games. I know about the ankle sprain however he wasn't lighting nothing up before the injury.

I see that many of you will never accept that Ben is just as much a part of this team's problem as anybody else. Dude is regressing right before our eye and no one wants to admit it....Just like grandma with altzheimers.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Props to mediocrity....While I didn't see the whole game, I did see the end 3rd and 4th quarters. During that time I saw Ben make as many bad plays as good. He continues to hold the ball too long when he has time to throw and takes a ridiculous amount of sacks.

The last drive in regulation should have resulted in at least a field goal attempt. Ben did not make any significant plays to help out on that drive. He had a critical delay of game and took sack after sack. Ben was not the difference maker that great QB's should be in big games. I know about the ankle sprain however he wasn't lighting nothing up before the injury.

I see that many of you will never accept that Ben is just as much a part of this team's problem as anybody else. Dude is regressing right before our eye and no one wants to admit it....Just like grandma with altzheimers.
    He's not regressing but he is what he is.That's not necissarily good or bad.

I'm just saying he has his stregnths - great at extending plays , he's got a rocket arm , and he's usually clutch when it matters.

But he still struggles with certain things as well . He misses way to many throws that should be routine and at times it's almost like he has to wait until the wr's are wide open before he'll throw it instead of just trusting the route.He's also inconsistent when he has to just run the offense,not improvise.

Pointing these things out doesn't make me a "hater". We're lucky to have him. But again , he is what he is. A very good , not elite QB who plays very unconventionally .If he were more consistent throughout the whole game,he wouldn't need to pull out so much stuff late.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm just saying he has his stregnths - great at extending plays , he's got a rocket arm , and he's usually clutch when it matters.

But he still struggles with certain things as well . He misses way to many throws that should be routine and at times it's almost like he has to wait until the wr's are wide open before he'll throw it instead of just trusting the route.He's also inconsistent when he has to just run the offense,not improvise.

Pointing these things out doesn't make me a "hater". We're lucky to have him. But again , he is what he is. A very good , not elite QB who plays very unconventionally .If he were more consistent throughout the whole game,he wouldn't need to pull out so much stuff late.
    I agree with you. Ben does some good things but he makes alot of bad plays as well that puts the team in bad situations and people seem to always want to overlook those things. It's like they want to hold on to the "Ben-saved the day" attitude...

I don't think he was very good in wildcard game. Not from what I was watching. He was as much of a problem as he was a solution... Then someone has the nerve to start a thread entitled "Props to Ben". I'm like "Really" "Seriously".... I guess we have relegated to accepting mediocre performances from our "star" QB...

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, I know Ben tried to pull off a yet another miracle in some respects and I applaud his desire and effort despite his injuries, and yes, he's pulled off miracles in the past, but...

I really think his overall vision of the field is horrible; and not just last night. How many times has he stood back there, looking and looking, for an open receiver, only for us to hear "Ben had a man open downfield." while he throws into double coverage? I firmly believe that's why he gets sacked or flushed out of the pocket time and again. I don't know why he can't make the quick reads that other QBs of supposedly much lesser talent do all the time.

As a good example, go back and look at that late game ball he threw to Heath in triple coverage. Look at the top of the screen and you'll see a WR in the endzone on top of the "B" in broncos wide open from his man waving his hand. And another two plays late in the game too where a wide open receiver on the sideline at the top of the screen was waving his hand and Ben forced the ball over the middle.

Yeah, I know, the view from the couch is a whole lot better. But, I have to ask why is it that even when he DOES appear to have some time back there, he still can't find the open man on his second or third routes?

On that last drive, he looke like HS material...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one that ball was in the air for the better part of 60 yards and as far as I'm concerned he threw Wallace open with the safety trailing him that pass not being caught for a 52 yard gain is all on Wallace. The ball was in a perfect place. There isn't anyone in the NFL throwing that ball out in front of Wallace that far down field, they'd have to throw it 75 yards or more.

Ben made enough mistakes during the game most of them not seeing the field, but that throw wasn't one of them, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers were way behind and tied the game in regulation...

I only wish they could have had an OT possession...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with you. Ben does some good things but he makes alot of bad plays as well that puts the team in bad situations and people seem to always want to overlook those things. It's like they want to hold on to the "Ben-saved the day" attitude...

I don't think he was very good in wildcard game. Not from what I was watching. He was as much of a problem as he was a solution... Then someone has the nerve to start a thread entitled "Props to Ben". I'm like "Really" "Seriously".... I guess we have relegated to accepting mediocre performances from our "star" QB...
    you miss half the game and then say he didnt have a good game??

how many of your 285 posts on here are about ben sucking, not being as good as everyone thinks, or being the cause for all the losses? 280??