Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Well it's the offseason...who is the best ILB in the draft?

Hall of Famer

Re: Well it's the offseason...who is the best ILB in the dra

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    The best way for us to upgrade this team with a starter is on the OL.

We need to keep Ben healthy
    We need to give him more time to find receivers
    We need to open more holes for the RB to run through, which commits more D to the run, which takes defenders out of coverage

We currently have an injured C, a solid rookie OT, and nobody else who has locked a spot on the OL. We don't know the health of Colon and Starks (FA), we don't have one good NFL OG, our current OL as it stands right now (Gilbert, Kemo/Legs, Pouncey, Foster, Colon) is in shambles. Unproven Chris Scott, no play in two seasons Colon, J. Scott, ACL Starks.......what do we have going for us right now?????
    I agree that OL needs to be the focus of the early rounds. If DeCastro or Konz is there, I hope they pull the trigger. I'm not sure if there is a tackle worth the pick who will fall to us. Maybe. If there is not OL, then we need to look at BPA especially considering that NT, ILB, and FS may have slim pickings at the end of the first. It is a fantastic draft to pick up a big WR. There could be great value in rounds 1-5.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.

We need to open more holes for the RB to run through, which commits more D to the run, which takes defenders out of coverage

We currently have an injured C, a solid rookie OT, and nobody else who has locked a spot on the OL. We don't know the health of Colon and Starks (FA), we don't have one good NFL OG, our current OL as it stands right now (Gilbert, Kemo/Legs, Pouncey, Foster, Colon) is in shambles. Unproven Chris Scott, no play in two seasons Colon, J. Scott, ACL Starks.......what do we have going for us right now?????
    I agree we need OG help. The FO will know the health status going into the draft and they also know where they have the players penciled in. Assuming everything we hear is correct Gilbert & Colon will be the starters at OT & Pouncey at C. Anyway you want to "pencil" it we have 3 out of 5 locked in. Kemo restructure or cut...Good chance. They could use a starter at OG through the draft and someone to coach up to play LT. I'm sure they will be addressed.

The biggest issue in my eyes is the $$$. I believe that will be a big part of the Steelers draft process. 10 of the top 15 salaries are on the defensive side of the ball. Out of those 10...8 of them are over 30.

Even more revealing out of those Top 15 contracts:
    Top 5 Position Salaries for 2012 (Excluding Ben's 16.9 mil)
    1. 20.5 Mil OLB
    2. 16.5 Mil ILB
    3. 15.5 Mil S
    4. 12.5 Mil DL
    5. 10.9 Mil OL

Those defensive contracts include only two players below 30 in Woodley & Timmons. The other 8 are all over 30. The DL contracts are 8 mil of Hampton & 4.5 mil of Keisel. They addressed the DE issue the last two years. That number would have been a little uglier if I knew what Smith's number or 2012 is since he restructured & added a year. Right now he counts $875,000 plus whatever his base is but I expect him to retire so the Steelers will have $875k of dead money. The OL is Colon & Kemo. Kemo has '12 & '13 left but his signing bonus dead money will be under 2 mil so expect him to be cut if he doesn't restructure.

So all that being said...Where is the influx of youth through the draft going to be needed soon? The reason why teams build through the draft is to regulate the position salaries and not have to bring in FA to fill voids. The Steelers need defensive cap relief so 30+ positions will be on the radar. Since it hasn't been addressed inside of the 5th round & since I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers have anything long term at ILB, NT, & S to replace those 30+ players other than quality back-ups & rotation guys...You could easily believe it is coming....Very soon.

Hall of Famer

[quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by "steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3t8wmq9u

I agree we need OG help. The FO will know the health status going into the draft and they also know where they have the players penciled in. Assuming everything we hear is correct Gilbert & Colon will be the starters at OT & Pouncey at C. Anyway you want to "pencil" it we have 3 out of 5 locked in. Kemo restructure or cut...Good chance. They could use a starter at OG through the draft and someone to coach up to play LT. I'm sure they will be addressed.

The biggest issue in my eyes is the $$$. I believe that will be a big part of the Steelers draft process. 10 of the top 15 salaries are on the defensive side of the ball. Out of those 10...8 of them are over 30.

Even more revealing out of those Top 15 contracts:
    Top 5 Position Salaries for 2012 (Excluding Ben's 16.9 mil)
    1. 20.5 Mil OLB
    2. 16.5 Mil ILB
    3. 15.5 Mil S
    4. 12.5 Mil DL
    5. 10.9 Mil OL

Those defensive contracts include only two players below 30 in Woodley & Timmons. The other 8 are all over 30. The DL contracts are 8 mil of Hampton & 4.5 mil of Keisel. They addressed the DE issue the last two years. That number would have been a little uglier if I knew what Smith's number or 2012 is since he restructured & added a year. Right now he counts $875,000 plus whatever his base is but I expect him to retire so the Steelers will have $875k of dead money. The OL is Colon & Kemo. Kemo has '12 & '13 left but his signing bonus dead money will be under 2 mil so expect him to be cut if he doesn't restructure.

So all that being said...Where is the influx of youth through the draft going to be needed soon? The reason why teams build through the draft is to regulate the position salaries and not have to bring in FA to fill voids. The Steelers need defensive cap relief so 30+ positions will be on the radar. Since it hasn't been addressed inside of the 5th round & since I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers have anything long term at ILB, NT, & S to replace those 30+ players other than quality back-ups & rotation guys...You could easily believe it is coming....Very soon.[/quote:3t8wmq9u]

I agree, but other than safety, the STeelers have addressed this problem.

Young players with promise
    CB-Brown, Allen, Lewis
    DE-Heyward, Hood
    NT-McClendon
    ILB-Timmons, Sylvestor
    OLB-Woodley, Worilds, Carter (Carter and Worilds could be debated)

We can basically field an under 30 defense right now.

I think the Steelers must add another young safety to compete and they must add another run defender (NT or ILB).

So, I think the Steelers will add an OL (probably a G) in the first three rounds and then pick the BPA from S, NT, ILB, RB, and possibly even WR to fill out those early selections.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I agree, but other than safety, the STeelers have addressed this problem.

Young players with promise
    CB-Brown, Allen, Lewis
    DE-Heyward, Hood
    NT-McClendon
    ILB-Timmons, Sylvestor
    OLB-Woodley, Worilds, Carter (Carter and Worilds could be debated)

We can basically field an under 30 defense right now.

I think the Steelers must add another young safety to compete and they must add another run defender (NT or ILB).

So, I think the Steelers will add an OL (probably a G) in the first three rounds and then pick the BPA from S, NT, ILB, RB, and possibly even WR to fill out those early selections.
    I didn't mention CB because we have addressed that pretty well and it looks good. DE was addressed the last two years like I mentioned. OLB was adressed too...At least we hope. I did say inside the 5th round and that means NT, ILB, and S have not been addressed. We have no reason to believe that Sylvester & McClendon are long term solutions. They have their roles on this team. Mundy is an adequate back-up but I don't think he is any long term replacement. I would not be a surprise to me to see ILB, NT, G/OL, & S in the 1st 4 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Round 2
    Vontaze Burflict Az St 6'3 245
    Tank Carder TCU 6'3 235
    Tank Card is not a 2nd Rounder in this draft. He had a terrible year and has been downgraded. No Thank you.

I like James Michael-Johnson in the 4th round to be honest. I think he is going to be a steal.

I also like Mychal Kendricks starting in round 3.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

luke kuechly is imo the best ILB in the draft by a long shot. ive seen every game he played at BC and he is one of the most impressive college players ive ever seen on and off the field. the guy has always had a 4.0 gpa so you know he is a very smart player much like matt ryan. i doubt kuechly will be there when the steelers pick but he would be definetly the bpa imo. i know BC has been awful the past few years but he would have the same stats any where he played. 500 something tackles in 3 seasons!!! the guy is a machine

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... ke-kuechly

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Vontaze Burfict (1st) or Nigel Bradham (3rd) would be my two on my wish list. Also interested to see how the Texas LBs Robinson & Acho are projected into a 3-4. Bradham reminds me alot of Kendrell Bell. He could be some good coaching away from being a playmaker.

Bradham looks like a real playmaker.

Funny that people in here want an ILB "Thumper" type- Farrior has been playing at around 220lbs for a couple of seasons- we haven't seen a 'Thumper' in this defense in a while.

The benefit to Bradham is he isn't going to soak up a 1st or even a 2nd round draft pick. Grab a big body NT to free up the LB's (Poe) & grab another OL in Round 2 before you get Farrior's eventual replacement.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00