Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Team Needs a Redzone Target/Playmaker Bad!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This Team Needs a Redzone Target/Playmaker Bad!

When you are inside the 20 you need a player who can exploit one on one match ups in a short amount of distance. Mike Wallace is great when he can stretch a defense but he isnt going to out muscle or out jump a defender in a short distance. And neither is Antonio Brown. Now I dont expect them to go get a Megatron but someone who can beat these 5 foot 10 corners in the air or be able to physically create seperation inside a tight area is a must.

WR Alshon Jeffrey (6 ft 4 230) may just be that guy.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: This Team Needs a Redzone Target/Playmaker Bad!

I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit. Lets sleep on it a bit and revisit this thought near draft time.

Legend

User Info Menu

totally agree

part of the reason of our red zone struggles is we dont have that big physical WR who can easily get off the LOS

our guy now get jammed too easily

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's a luxury that should take a backseat to o-linemen and secondary.

Kemoeatu should never play another game with us again. Our Center has a chronic ankle problem. Legursky I like... as a versatile, swing 8th man type. Starks is serviceable, on a strong line that is (not on the garbage line we have). Sadly, one could argue that are best piece moving forward is... Marcus Gilbert?

And we've seen our Secondary... all I have to say about them is that Tim Tebow torched them. Enough said.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel
    I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit. Lets sleep on it a bit and revisit this thought near draft time.
    +1

I am screaming a for a tall, physical WR who is not afraid to catch the ball in traffic something Mike Wallace will never do.

Alshon Jefferey from South Carolina would be a nice pick.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

It would also help if we looked to some of the best red zone targets we already have. Heath Miller ought to be utilized more. Cotchery, too.

But I agree. Another tall, physical receiver wouldn't hurt.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit.
    Tell that to David Johnson, who got plowed when he was as defenseless as could be...if it were a Steeler who hit a Bronco like that, it would have been a flag...

BTW, we do have 6' 5" Wesleye Saunders who showed good hands and feet in the 1 red zone opportunity where he was targeted...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit.
    Tell that to David Johnson, who got plowed when he was as defenseless as could be...if it were a Steeler who hit a Bronco like that, it would have been a flag...

BTW, we do have 6' 5" Wesleye Saunders who showed good hands and feet in the 1 red zone opportunity where he was targeted...
    $$$
    Would like to see Saunders utilized more as a red zone option.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Where is Limas Sweed when you need him? (Seemed to have been replaced by Mike Wallace yesterday).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    When you are inside the 20 you need a player who can exploit one on one match ups in a short amount of distance. Mike Wallace is great when he can stretch a defense but he isnt going to out muscle or out jump a defender in a short distance. And neither is Antonio Brown. Now I dont expect them to go get a Megatron but someone who can beat these 5 foot 10 corners in the air or be able to physically create seperation inside a tight area is a must.
    I agree. I think this is the reason why they went after Plax last offseason. I expect they will try something again to address their redzone problem....settling for FG's will kill you in the playoffs.