Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ike is garbage

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ike is garbage

Ike isn't garbage but he isn't as great as some believe.

The guy can't locate the ball... that is why he doesn't get the love other CB's get.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok I am going to accept the ridiculous premise that Ike is garbage.

What does that say about Lebeau and Tomlin if this is true? Where were the adjustments made when it was obvious in the first half that Ike was garbage?

They were so fearful of the run they refused to adjust. An inverted zone? When the guy has been torching you all day?

Really?

Ike had a bad game no arguing that...

The coaching staff had a worse game. No way that run call should have been made to sell out on the run.

The coaching staff came in with a gameplan and they were stubborn. The only thing that could've ended the game in OT was a TD and they sold against the run when thing that had killed them all day long was the deep pass.

if Ike is garbage what does that make our brain trust?

brothervad

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    Ok I am going to accept the ridiculous premise that Ike is garbage.

What does that say about Lebeau and Tomlin if this is true? Where were the adjustments made when it was obvious in the first half that Ike was garbage?

They were so fearful of the run they refused to adjust. An inverted zone? When the guy has been torching you all day?

Really?

The coaching staff had a worse game. No way that run call should have been made to sell out on the run.

The coaching staff came in with a gameplan and they were stubborn. The only thing that could've ended the game in OT was a TD and they sold against the run when thing that had killed them all day long was the deep pass.

if Ike is garbage what does that make our brain trust?

brothervad
    According to many hear at PlanetSteelers the brain trust are the problem, just sayin.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

The coaching staff had a worse game.

Sadly it seems to me that THIS coaching staff has had quite a few really bad games and shouldn't be evaluated only on W & Ls during this past year's easy schedule.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tebow had to much time to throw!! This is on the coach's Defensive game plan...Bad

Once hiked I think Tebow made a few tweets before he throw the ball....

Sword

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    Ike is a great corner who had a horrible game. My complaint is he was clearly struggling and as far as I can see - we made no adjustments to help him out. That last play we had him completely naked and alone in one on one. Just a horrible defensive call from lebeau.

here's something to consider. I'm not making excuses for Ike as he clearly had a bad game - but when we rushed 3, Tebow had all day to make plays. several times the broncos rushed 3 and Ben was getting sacked, hit, ball knocked out of his hands etc.

That's where the problems really started.
    Great? Are you kidding me? He is decent at best. He is really in my opionion a solid #2. But he is not great by any means. 9 years in the league and has a total of 13 INT's. That alone is far from great.
    9 seasons and 13 picks, so what who cares? most of the time ike doesnt get balls thrown his way. nnamdi asomugha has been in the league for 9 years as well and has a total of 14 picks. i guess asomugha is a decent corner as well.
    franklin, the word that was used was "GREAT". Do you think Ike is a "GREAT" corner? Seriously.

Ike is a descent corner who would be better served playing as a teams #2.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe the title of the thread was done on
    the heat of the moment. But once you get in Ike head. He becomes garbage . Mentally strong he is not.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades

Sadly it seems to me that THIS coaching staff has had quite a few really bad games and shouldn't be evaluated only on W & Ls during this past year's easy schedule.
    Yup this has been my argument all day with the many people i work with coming to me asking what happened (as if I had something to do with it). I blame coaching over Ike.

And not to diverge from the thread topic too much, but Shades definitely hit on something that has been nagging at me. The coaches, as greatful as I am to them for producing a winning product recently, have really brought themselves under the spotlight. The defensive game plan and lack of adjusting out of said plan, the constant poor clock management (what the heck were they doing at the end of the 1st half), and the decision to play Ben vs. the Clowns I believe all culminated in this atrocity we witnessed yesterday. I only give Ike a small piece of the blame. More goes to the coaches who set him and the team up for failure over the course of the last few weeks and during the game.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Iron Shiek]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steeler Shades":18bqfr9n

Yup this has been my argument all day with the many people i work with coming to me asking what happened (as if I had something to do with it). I blame coaching over Ike.

And not to diverge from the thread topic too much, but Shades definitely hit on something that has been nagging at me. The coaches, as greatful as I am to them for producing a winning product recently, have really brought themselves under the spotlight. The defensive game plan and lack of adjusting out of said plan, the constant poor clock management (what the heck were they doing at the end of the 1st half), and the decision to play Ben vs. the Clowns I believe all culminated in this atrocity we witnessed yesterday. I only give Ike a small piece of the blame. More goes to the coaches who set him and the team up for failure over the course of the last few weeks and during the game.[/quote:18bqfr9n]

Blame has to go both ways. Ike got torched on several big plays yesterday. But here's the thing, if you know you dont have help towards the deep middle of the field, you cannot let that receiver get inside on you. Force him towards the sideline where the sideline is your help.

But having said that, by Ike letting him get inside, I think this had to be a blown coverage on one of the safeties.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't put all the blame for loss on Taylor

Monday, January 09, 2012
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DENVER -- One by one, Steelers front-office people, coaches and players stopped by to console cornerback Ike Taylor. Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau was first. Owner Dan Rooney and general manager Kevin Colbert. Players Ryan Clark, Casey Hampton and Keenan Lewis. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was the last. He practically lifted Taylor out of his chair and hugged him.

"I just told him I loved him," Roethlisberger said later. "I know he's beating himself up. I told him not to do that. I told him he's still one of the best cornerbacks in the league to me."

Touching, right?

Too bad the players didn't do more to support Taylor on the field. If they had, maybe the Steelers still would be in the AFC playoffs instead of home this morning trying to figure out how they lost to the Denver Broncos Sunday night, 29-23, in overtime.

"People are going to blame it all on Ike," linebacker James Farrior said. "But it was all of us. There were 11 of us out there on defense and all of us are responsible for what happened."

It's not exactly a mystery why the Steelers' season is done. Their defense -- ranked No. 1 in the NFL in points allowed and yards allowed coming in -- made the worst quarterback in the league look like John Elway. Tim Tebow, who completed just 46.5 percent of his passes in the regular season, completed just 10 on this gorgeous winter day in the Rockies, but they went for a staggering 316 yards. The Steelers defense had allowed just two completions for 40 or more yards in the 16-game season. It allowed four in this loss. It also allowed Tebow to throw a 30-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Eddie Royal over cornerback William Gay in the second quarter.

By now, you've probably seen the replay a hundred times of the winning touchdown in overtime. On the first play from the Denver 20, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas beat Taylor with an inside move, caught the ball at the Broncos 38, fought Taylor off with a stiff arm at the Broncos 48 and outran him and safety Ryan Mundy to the end zone. It was stunning on a couple of fronts. It took just 11 seconds. It was the Broncos' fourth win in overtime.

You might say the Steelers were Tebowed.

Farrior is right, everyone will blame Taylor. His big mistake was not making the tackle after the catch. "The run after was significant," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Taylor declined to talk to the media after the game. A club official stood guard at his locker to make sure no one approached.

Taylor's teammates were left to talk for him and said LeBeau had called a run defense. That left Taylor in one-on-one coverage with no help.

"We had [shown] a pretty good tendency of running on first-and-10," Broncos coach John Fox acknowledged.

Not this time.

"When I saw [Mundy] creeping up, I knew if I beat the cornerback, I had a touchdown," Thomas said.

So he did.

Taylor also was beaten by Thomas for 51- and 58-yard passes in the second quarter, leading to two touchdowns. In the second half, he was called for a 5-yard holding penalty and a 32-yard pass interference penalty.

"Ike is one of the big reasons we're here," Farrior said. "He's been great for us all year. There were a lot of times when he didn't have any help out there tonight. We called a lot of run-stopping defenses."

The problem is the defense didn't do enough to stop the Denver run. The Broncos had 131 rushing yards, 50 by Tebow.

"When you have a guy in single coverage like Ike, you had better get to the quarterback," Farrior said. "We didn't do that nearly enough."

Tebow wasn't sacked.

Part of that might have been the result of losing Hampton to a knee injury on the first series and defensive end Brett Keisel to a groin injury in the second quarter. But where were outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley? Did anyone notice them all day?

The Steelers offense also could have done more to bail out Taylor. Pro Bowl-starting wide receiver Mike Wallace dropped what should have been a 52-yard gain to the Denver 28 early in the second quarter. Roethlisberger threw a bad interception moments later that led to a Denver field goal. A bad snap over Roethlisberger's head in the shotgun by center Doug Legursky -- in for injured All-Pro Maurkice Pouncey -- late in the first half probably cost the Steelers a field goal.

But the most painful blunder might have came on a first-and-10 play from the Denver 45 with 29 seconds left in regulation. One completion by Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to 17 points in the second half, could have set up kicker Shaun Suisham for a possible winning field-goal attempt. Instead, defensive end Elvis Dumervil blew in and knocked the ball out of Roethlisberger's hand. Roethlisberger recovered, but the 11-yard loss all but ended their drive.

"We were moving it and we had a shot," Roethlisberger said. "Someone got, it felt like a finger, on the ball and knocked it out."

Roethlisberger figured the Steelers would win it in overtime. Tebow and Thomas made sure they never got the ball back.

Taylor took the brunt of the blame, but, clearly, there was more to this loss than just him.

"I just talked to him corner to corner," LeBeau said when asked what he said to Taylor.

LeBeau played cornerback for the Detroit Lions a lifetime ago and was good enough to make the Hall of Fame.

"I know how he's feeling," LeBeau said of Taylor. "But that's part of playing corner. Ike will be back. He's down right now, but he'll be back."

Next season, sure. Not next weekend, though.

None of the Steelers will be playing in New England Saturday night. They'll be watching the Broncos.

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12009/1202347-87-0.stm#ixzz1j1lGvvBL"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12009/12 ... z1j1lGvvBL[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha