Thread: Do We Matchup Well Vs Anyone?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do We Matchup Well Vs Anyone?

1. NE - sure we beat em, but we surprised them. We'd have to win a shootout next time and Ben's gimpy.

2. Baltimore - They matchup well against us. We need Flacco to be old Flacco and mess up. Rice is a problem. Their TEs are a problem. Their WR is a problem. Their D is problematic between Suggs, Ngata, and Reed.

3. Houston - They're the most complete team left in the AFC imho. But they're missing a QB.

4. Denver - We don't stop the run well. And Denver has a good D. If we can't get a big lead and force Tebow into mistakes, this could be a tough matchup.

5. Cincy - Maybe the one team that we matchup the best with. But they have a decent D and can run the ball and have a WR and TE that we'll have problems covering. We'll never play them of course.

6. GB - We'd have to win a shootout with Big Gimpy. Just like NE.

7. NO - See #6.

8. SF - We didn't matchup well against them last time. They have a good all around team and don't make mistakes. And their punter is a nightmare for us.

9. Detroit - They remind me of Houston with a QB. Might be a tough matchup for anyone.

10. Giants - These guys could be the toughest out in the playoffs if they can get some sound D.

11. Falcons - Another potential shootout we'd need to win.

I'm not trying to be negative, but we're going to need our offense to tear it up to have a chance in the playoffs. Surprisingly we have the biggest YPP differential in the league, so we're solid. But I just think we're going have a tough go at it on the run to #7.

Now would be a great time to figure out how to get some turnovers. And I think some of our defenders may step it up for the playoffs. But the thing that worries me most, is gimpy Ben may be more likely to turn the ball over himself.

Anything can happen, but I worry about our ability to control the LOS on both sides of the ball. And it's going to make this run all the more challenging.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Do We Matchup Well Vs Anyone?

No Steeler team with Ben at QB has ever scored less than 20 points in a playoff game; we've scored 20 or more in all 13 of our playoff games with Ben at the helm (meanwhile, Colts teams with Peyton Manning at QB have scored less than 20 points in 10 out of 19 playoff games).

Meanwhile, our defense has allowed a league-low 227 points this season (do the math; it's a hair over 14 points per game).

Denver, judging by their 8-8 record, is an average NFL team. I don't see them scoring more than our average points against. And I don't expect a Steeler playoff team lead by Ben Roethlisberger to score less than 20 points. Vegas lines opened with us as slightly more than a TD favorite, which sounds about right to me, according to these numbers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Do We Matchup Well Vs Anyone?

That's a little reassuring.

I worry about Ben's health this go round more than anything. He seemed out of sorts to me in the Cleveland game. He seemed to be playing a little nervous compared to the typical nonchalant Ben we're used to seeing.

The guy's a warrior and I'll never count him out. Especially with Deebo/Troy on D. And we finally have a threat on ST in AB. Keisel's been having a great year. And if Woodley can play, he tends to come alive in the playoffs. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a fresh Worldis having a Keisel like impact when he was playing behind Kimo.

I also worry about all of our games typically being close and possibly having a game come down to Sushi.

But most importantly, we're not controlling the LOS like we used to. And I think that's what's lead to our turn over differential this season.