Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santonio-Is this how you be "great"?

Backup

User Info Menu

Santonio-Is this how you be "great"?

Last year after backup quarterback Mark Brunell received snaps with the New York Jets first team, starting quarterback Mark Sanchez said he wanted to fight head coach Rex Ryan. Now on Sunday after a 19-17 loss at the Miami Dolphins, wide receiver Santonio Holmes actually did start fighting with his teammates.

Twice — and to the point that Holmes was benched in the fourth quarter in what he called a "coach's call."

Holmes was the Jets' big-name coup during the offseason as they managed to re-sign a wide receiver nicknamed "Tone Time" after several big plays last season in the fourth quarter gave the Jets key midseason wins. Having signed a five-year, $45 million dollar deal in August, Holmes has failed to produce, finishing the season with his lowest receiving yardage of his career.

One source told The Newark Star Ledger that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer benched Holmes because Schottenheimer had simply had enough. "He quit," the player said. "It's happened for the past two to three weeks. It's happened all season."

Playing in what might have been the last game of his career, veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson said that Holmes showed his teammates an "I quit" mentality throughout the game. This was confirmed by several sources, both named and unnamed.

"Well, I'll tell you what. It's tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner. You a captain, guys looking at you. You got to lead by example. You got to play your tail off until the last play," Tomlinson said. "And when that doesn't happen, you will have guys look at you in the way that captains shouldn't be looked at. You should always put yourself out there as a leader."

[ Related: Complete NFL playoff picture ]

It has been a pattern for a player of whom much was expected this year. In fact, Holmes has had a habit of doing more running with his mouth than with the ball this year, his second season with the Jets.

Despite being named a captain by head coach Rex Ryan prior to the season, Holmes still exhibited the same selfishness and reckless behavior that marked his tenure (and exodus) from Pittsburgh after the 2009 season. Holmes went through the media to call out the offensive line early in the season for poor play then reportedly threw offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer under the bus in a meeting with Ryan in October. Later in the season, he admitted that Sanchez was placating his receivers by forcing the ball to them.

But on Sunday in the huddle, Holmes picked two fights leading to him being replaced by wide receiver Patrick Turner, a player who was on the Jets practice squad earlier in the season. Schottenheimer made the decision to yank the Jets fifth highest paid player (and captain) from the game. At the podium following the game, Holmes said he "hopes for the best" with regards to whether the embattled offensive coordinator would return to the team next year.

"It wouldn't be my decision to make that choice whether he returns or not," Holmes said.
    For his part, head coach Rex Ryan denied knowledge of the incident post-game, a coach known for his frequent misspeaks suddenly finding the mute button when his star player throws a tantrum.

"I never saw it," Ryan said of the incident. "Maybe I'll see it and talk to people about it. I'd rather not really comment about it until I know the particulars. I know he was on the bench when I asked where he was. That's as far as I know. I don't have any idea if it was injury related or what it was. So I guess you'd have to ask Santonio."

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Santonio-Is this how you be "great"?

Always said we would never miss Stupidio. Haven't missed him for one second and as a result we have one of the best groups of young WRs in the NFL.

Rex Ryan and the Jets deserve our trash and they can keep this bum and deal with him for years to come. Anyone want to lay odds that he gets popped in the off season for being a doper????
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I know the guy has a crappy attitude but anyone would get fed up with that dink and dunk offense Sanchez is running there.
    6.40 yds per attempt is 27th in the league

Legend

User Info Menu

way to show leadership and be a great captain, Stonio...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Always be grateful for his play when he was a Steeler, but it was a good move to let him go. Glad our FO doesn't keep these type of players around.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Backup

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be mad if we still had him. He is was a great player. He willed us to the Superbowl and then willed us to victory all the while calling his shot. I love it. Big time playmaker.

All this other garbage about guys talking too much and having attitude problems...yeah he's not going to win any congeniality awards but I don't care. The bum who wrote the article says that Tone has not produced, when they would have been nothing without him last year. This year was so bad for them that even his all world talent wasn't good enough to mask the ineptitude of Sanchez.

I don't look for moral examples and role models in football players. Im disgusted by the hero worship that plagues our society. "Ohh he's such a class act". Usually that's just what it is an act. Tired of the good guy, bad guy dichotomy of saints and sinners. In there daily lives, people really seem to need somebody else to put down, in order to feel good. Super lame but I guess it sells papers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with the majority of what you're saying pick6. My problems with players occur when their behavior starts to negatively influence the team on the field. At least according to the articles I've seen, a lot of even his own teammates are saying he "quit" on the team and it's been noticeable for weeks. This is not how a good teammate, much less captain acts. I don't care if he smokes bonghits before each game, takes picture of his wang and splashes them all over the net (again), etc. I care that he got paid however many millions and then quit on his team to the point where they sat him down. Inexcusable IMO.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    I wouldn't be mad if we still had him. He is was a great player. He willed us to the Superbowl and then willed us to victory all the while calling his shot. I love it. Big time playmaker.

All this other garbage about guys talking too much and having attitude problems...yeah he's not going to win any congeniality awards but I don't care. The bum who wrote the article says that Tone has not produced, when they would have been nothing without him last year. This year was so bad for them that even his all world talent wasn't good enough to mask the ineptitude of Sanchez.

I don't look for moral examples and role models in football players. Im disgusted by the hero worship that plagues our society. "Ohh he's such a class act". Usually that's just what it is an act. Tired of the good guy, bad guy dichotomy of saints and sinners. In there daily lives, people really seem to need somebody else to put down, in order to feel good. Super lame but I guess it sells papers.

I'm not saying Holmes is in the right but Holmes pouting is the least of the Jets worries...

I don't need Holmes to flame out in order to feel good about dealing him... we made out great in the deal and the Jets made out great in the deal when you look at the success last year.

If anything I think Holmes gave the Jets a false sense of security with Dirty Sanchez.... Sanchez doesn't know how to be great.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6

I don't look for moral examples and role models in football players. Im disgusted by the hero worship that plagues our society. "Ohh he's such a class act". Usually that's just what it is an act. Tired of the good guy, bad guy dichotomy of saints and sinners. In there daily lives, people really seem to need somebody else to put down, in order to feel good. Super lame but I guess it sells papers.[/qu

I'm not saying Holmes is in the right but Holmes pouting is the least of the Jets worries...

I don't need Holmes to flame out in order to feel good about dealing him... we made out great in the deal and the Jets made out great in the deal when you look at the success last year.

If anything I think Holmes gave the Jets a false sense of security with Dirty Sanchez.... Sanchez doesn't know how to be great.
    Yeah, Sanchez seems like a hard worker and a good study but he doesn't seem to have that edge. I don't know if it is his height. I suspect that he is a guy who needs to have practice seem as gamelike as possible. I think his practices are too perfect. If I were his coach I would make sure that he practiced how to quickly set his feet and deliver a strike in a chaotic and menacing environment. He seems like a guy who looks great going against air in practice and this is fine for some QBs but not him. Somehow he needs to model his game after Drew Brees.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pete Carroll said Sanchez wasn't ready when he declared early... Sanchez had success early because he was on a run heavy team but if you watched his career closely, I lived in NYC his rookie year, he was an INT machine when they gave him a longer leash...

The reality is Sanchez just isn't that good.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"