Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

Since Marcus Gilbert is likely moving to LT, this may create a win-win situtation for the Steelers draft wise. I have been taking a long hard look at Zebrie Sanders (SKL gets credit for this ), and he is a solid RT who very well could come right in and start (like Gilbert did this tear). Because of the premium put on the LT those that are draft-able in round one are out of reach for the Steelers at 24. But a legit RT isnt. And quite frankly they may be even able to trade back a few spots and draft Zebrie Sanders along with acquiring another pick in round 2, 3, or 4. I am not a salary cap guy but I would think this would also free up "some" money by releasing Willie Colon. Too me, the more I look at this, the more I like it. I am not yet at 100% sold but I am starting to reach for my wallet.

Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

Oh, if Cody Glenn happens to be there at 24 then that too would work. Glenn can play either Tackle or Guard.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Releasing Colon is not an option, capwise, at this point...

IIRC, releasing him would increase his cap hit this year...not the other way around...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Releasing Colon is not an option, capwise, at this point...

IIRC, releasing him would increase his cap hit this year...not the other way around...
    So at no point during this off season he can released and save even a small amount of money? If not ok so be it. I still like the thought of Sanders or Cordy Glenn having a shot at that position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

Any OL without Chris K on it would be the best we have had in a long time.

As far as the money thing goes, it looks like the deal Colon signed last season was a 5 year deal with a $6M SB. That means that the Steelers must still account for $4.8M in pro rated SB.

The best way to save on next year's cap is to cut him after June 1. We save all of his $4.5M salary and only get charged his $1.2M SB which is already accounted for on the cap. We are then charged $3.6M dead money in 2013.

The other way would be to cut him prior to June 1 and eat all of the remaining SB in the coming season. Savings would be about $900K.

Steelers generally won't cut a guy this soon with this much money still owing. I'm not a fan, but expect to see Colon back at RT next season.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think if they cut him after June 1st, they can elect to push the $3.6 mil to the following year or split it more evenly...like $2.4 this year and $2.4 next...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    ....As far as the money thing goes, it looks like the deal Colon signed last season was a 5 year deal with a $6M SB. That means that the Steelers must still account for $4.8M in pro rated SB.

The best way to save on next year's cap is to cut him after June 1. We save all of his $4.5M salary and only get charged his $1.2M SB which is already accounted for on the cap. We are then charged $3.6M dead money in 2013.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think if they cut him after June 1st, they can elect to push the $3.6 mil to the following year or split it more evenly...like $2.4 this year and $2.4 next...
    Now were talkin. This makes my thought even better. I think it is foolish for the Steelers to think they could rely on Willie Colon who has been injured two full straight seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Since Marcus Gilbert is likely moving to LT, this may create a win-win situtation for the Steelers draft wise. I have been taking a long hard look at Zebrie Sanders (SKL gets credit for this ), and he is a solid RT who very well could come right in and start (like Gilbert did this tear). Because of the premium put on the LT those that are draft-able in round one are out of reach for the Steelers at 24. But a legit RT isnt. And quite frankly they may be even able to trade back a few spots and draft Zebrie Sanders along with acquiring another pick in round 2, 3, or 4. I am not a salary cap guy but I would think this would also free up "some" money by releasing Willie Colon. Too me, the more I look at this, the more I like it. I am not yet at 100% sold but I am starting to reach for my wallet.

The OL you desribe is still weak at Guard and Ben would continue to a victum of pressure up the middle.

Colon is not going anywhere unless it is via an injury settlement. The cap hit wouldn't make sense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

The OL you desribe is still weak at Guard and Ben would continue to a victum of pressure up the middle.

Colon is not going anywhere unless it is via an injury settlement. The cap hit wouldn't make sense.
    Well word from the Steelers is they are very happy with Legursky and Foster at guard and according to what my cap guy steeler.fan.in.t.o. says....cutting Colon after June 1 saves 4.5 million. How does that not make sense?

By the way anyone who thinks any team is going to solve all their offensive line problems in one off season is not thinking in reality. One piece at a time guys. Pouncey, Gilbert, Sanders and or Glenn is a step in a much better direction.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":27kgffys

Well word from the Steelers is they are very happy with Legursky and Foster at guard and according to what my cap guy steeler.fan.in.t.o. says....cutting Colon after June 1 saves 4.5 million. How does that not make sense?

By the way anyone who thinks any team is going to solve all their offensive line problems in one off season is not thinking in reality. One piece at a time guys. Pouncey, Gilbert, Sanders and or Glenn is a step in a much better direction.[/quote:27kgffys]

5 mil of Rooney's money unearned...That's why Colon isn't going anywhere if healthy. Being over the cap isn't coming as a surprise to the Rooney's or Colbert. They had a plan in place last year or they wouldn't have given Colon, Woodley, Polamalu, & Timmons those contracts if they weren't in the plans. They will shave by restructuring those deals & others but the cuts will be coming from names like Scott, Battle, Smith, Allen, & McFadden.....And if others like Kemo, Farrior, Foote, & Ward don't restructure...They could be gone too.