Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stonio Again!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Stonio Again!!

Unloading Santonio for that 5th rounder is looking like a very prescient and smart personnel move. I was slightly surprised when it happened, but not upset. It was a rather bold decision, to cut ties with one of your best offensive players and a SuperBowl MVP, for what could have easily become nothing, since 5th rounders are often cut.

But the head coach and personnel people could see the problems that would probably occur with Holmes in the future. Not only drug related but also attitudinal. This is one of the reasons I have a lot of faith in Tomlin and the Steeler personnel people. They evaluate character and players, well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile
    Unloading Santonio for that 5th rounder is looking like a very prescient and smart personnel move. I was slightly surprised when it happened, but not upset. It was a rather bold decision, to cut ties with one of your best offensive players and a SuperBowl MVP, for what could have easily become nothing, since 5th rounders are often cut.

But the head coach and personnel people could see the problems that would probably occur with Holmes in the future. Not only drug related but also attitudinal. This is one of the reasons I have a lot of faith in Tomlin and the Steeler personnel people. They evaluate character and players, well.
    if he left as a free agent after his last signed year, we likely would have received a 3rd round compensation pick

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Santonio's been gone for 2 years and people are still talking about him like he's still in a uniform. People can make all the jokes they want about him. But you know we wouldn't have made it to SB XLIII and won it without Holmes making plays. I will always be grateful to Holmes for his contributions to our success.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers wanted to spread the message that no one is too big for the what the Steelers expect out of their players. I'm not saying Santonio was that bad of a guy but, they knew he was going to demand big money, miss some games, had some off field stuff and that they had other receivers that could get the job done.

the Steelers did the right thing and we didn't need to look back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky
    That's definitely not how you be great.
    That's how you be cut.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he's getting crushed on various jets boards. I particularly like this post:

Originally Posted by Bleed Green
    That is why the Steelers are a winning franchise, they knew to get rid of him.
    +1 trillion.

Build through the draft. Not FA. Cut cancer when they need to.

[url="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239376"]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showt ... p?t=239376[/url]

[url="http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=70090"]http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=70090[/url]
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't need props from other fans about the team that I love but, is nice to hear that other fans recognize that our franchise is a cut above.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, Santonio made some invaluable plays for us as part of a Team. Now he has made himself into a joke and a cancer, and he is wasting his talent and his value.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Santonio's been gone for 2 years and people are still talking about him like he's still in a uniform. People can make all the jokes they want about him. But you know we wouldn't have made it to SB XLIII and won it without Holmes making plays. I will always be grateful to Holmes for his contributions to our success.

He was incredible during the SB run that year. It was time, however, to cut our losses and I'm happy to have Brown instead.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    I don't need props from other fans about the team that I love but, is nice to hear that other fans recognize that our franchise is a cut above.

I agree, but it's fun to read. this is a good one too....

Originally Posted by TurkJetFan
    Holmes has surfaced as a total cancer...

its now leaking that Holmes has been an issue all season and that's not gonna cut it.

dont tell me our captain is whining and being a buzzkill in the huddle down a crucial stretch of the game...its simply bull****.

Holmes needs a closed door session with Rex, Tanny and Woody. If it doesn't work them find a way to move him out of here.

We knew Holmes was a pain in the a$$. Pittsburgh gave away a very talented player away for a bag of footballs and a ham sandwich. We just didn't know how big a pain he is until now. I saw it with my own eyes when he was AWOL just 30 minutes before the bus departure to the AFCCG last year. He was dropped off at the hotel's side door by some girl. That is most likely why he was benched to start the game. Hopefully, a new OC will rekindle his competitive spirit. He is a special talent. If his theatrics help get Schitty fired, he did the team a big favor.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!