Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Stonio Again!!

  1. #21
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,454

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    The bottomline is:

    The Steelers front office knows which and when to let players leave and which and when to keep players. Their success rate in these evaluations are 90-95%. It continues to amaze me that we have self proclaimed long term fans who continue to doubt what they do with key front line players. We may be able to disagree with depth players and back ups but they pretty well keep it right every time with starters.

    The Jets conveninetly took two of our latest malcontents in Faneca and Holmes. How'd that work out for them. The overpaid for an over the hill Faneca and got one good season out of him. They took and were stupid enough to resign an overrated and troublesome Holmes.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,323

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Our FO made a great decision. I'll always be a fan of the Holmes that was great on our team...

    I'm not trying to defend Holmes actions as a Jet because I don't care for the team but looking at their HC and having Sanchez at QB would make me pout in the huddle.

    Holmes has no one to blame but himself for his situation.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Holmes is one player I don't miss. Probably because of us having Brown. One guy I do miss is Peazy for some reason. That is one dude I would sign for one day so he would retire a Steeler. He is a Steeler for life in my book.
    @_Hellgrammite

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    So will he be a Raider or Bengal next season?
    Both possible landing spots. Throw in Arizona (Pittsburgh West).

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The bottomline is:

    The Steelers front office knows which and when to let players leave and which and when to keep players. Their success rate in these evaluations are 90-95%. It continues to amaze me that we have self proclaimed long term fans who continue to doubt what they do with key front line players. We may be able to disagree with depth players and back ups but they pretty well keep it right every time with starters.

    The Jets conveninetly took two of our latest malcontents in Faneca and Holmes. How'd that work out for them. The overpaid for an over the hill Faneca and got one good season out of him. They took and were stupid enough to resign an overrated and troublesome Holmes.
    And I hope our FO always remembers that... you build through the draft. You don't build trhough free agency. (The Eagles are a classic example this year.)

    I appreciate Holmes for what he did while he was here. I'm not willing to pile on right now after the fact, because despite his immaturity, I think he is a good guy at heart and not the unlikeable guy that others like Ocho, TO, and others are. Don't get me wrong--he is a ME before WE player (unlike Hines, AB seems to be, and all our guys... but particularly our WRs) obviously, but I think he just doesn't have the mental maturity at this point in his life...
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile
    Unloading Santonio for that 5th rounder is looking like a very prescient and smart personnel move. I was slightly surprised when it happened, but not upset. It was a rather bold decision, to cut ties with one of your best offensive players and a SuperBowl MVP, for what could have easily become nothing, since 5th rounders are often cut.

    But the head coach and personnel people could see the problems that would probably occur with Holmes in the future. Not only drug related but also attitudinal. This is one of the reasons I have a lot of faith in Tomlin and the Steeler personnel people. They evaluate character and players, well.
    if he left as a free agent after his last signed year, we likely would have received a 3rd round compensation pick
    Yeah but then no 'MVP' Antonio Brown. I think it worked out perfect...Colbert and Tomlin have incredible foresight!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  6. #26
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,358

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Santonio's been gone for 2 years and people are still talking about him like he's still in a uniform. People can make all the jokes they want about him. But you know we wouldn't have made it to SB XLIII and won it without Holmes making plays. I will always be grateful to Holmes for his contributions to our success.
    And yet you have a vendetta against Ben, who apparently had nothing at all to do with that drive to win SBXLIII. Glad you are grateful to the guy we dumped (and now his second team can't stand him), but you are ready to replace the quarterback who leads us to the Super Bowl every other year.

  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,454

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Santonio's been gone for 2 years and people are still talking about him like he's still in a uniform. People can make all the jokes they want about him. But you know we wouldn't have made it to SB XLIII and won it without Holmes making plays. I will always be grateful to Holmes for his contributions to our success.
    And yet you have a vendetta against Ben, who apparently had nothing at all to do with that drive to win SBXLIII. Glad you are grateful to the guy we dumped (and now his second team can't stand him), but you are ready to replace the quarterback who leads us to the Super Bowl every other year.


    Well stated. I'll give credit to the guy throwing the ball and getting us into the playoffs every year while playing hurt and taking whatever he has to versus the "stoner" who alienates everyone associated with him and quits on his team when things don't go his way.

    Want to root for Stupidio become a Jets fan. The FO did well discarding their garbage before it began to stink too much to bear.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,975

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    When will other teams learn that, usually when we let go of a high profile player they, usually come with troubles or they are no longer producing.

  9. #29
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,454

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    When will other teams learn that, usually when we let go of a high profile player they, usually come with troubles or they are no longer producing.
    I also often wonder why the league continues to pick through our trash cans when we put them out on the street. It never pays off long term. If the Steelers don't want someone you shouldn't either.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104

    Re: Stonio Again!!

    I will always remember when Holmes was drafted out of OSU. He had grown up a Steelers fan and was so excited to go to his favorite boyhood team. He did some huge things for us while he was here, starting with his play to end Cincy's playoff hopes at the end of his rookie season.

    While I was sorry to see him go, it was for the best. It looks like he'll be catching passes from Carson Palmer next year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •