Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Stonio Again!!

Legend

Re: Stonio Again!!

Brown looks like something special but I can't put him ahead of Holmes when it comes to accomplishments as a Steeler. Holmes pretty much immortalized himself with that SB catch.

He could have been the best Steeler WR ever if he wasn't such an azz off the field.

Let's not forget that our dumb ol' front office happened to best the Jets in another way as well ... I bet they wish they still had Cotchery on their roster!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Holmes contract a tough escape

By Rich Cimini
    Jan 2, 2012

The Jets made Santonio Holmes their marquee free-agent signing last offseason, retaining him with a five-year, $45 million contract.

Now they could be stuck with him because of an unusual clause in the contract.

Holmes is due a fully guaranteed $7.75 million in base pay for 2012, according to a person familiar with the contract. In addition, if he's on the Jets' roster on the second day of the waiver period (Feb. , more than half of his 2013 salary becomes guaranteed -- specifically, $7.5 million of $11 million.

So, basically, the Jets have to decide if they're willing to lock into Holmes for $15.25 million in guaranteed money. If they're okay with committing that much, it's like saying you're signing up for two more years of Holmes.

If they cut him, they'd still owe him $7.75 million and they'd take a $12.5 million cap hit in 2012 -- more than $3 million more than it would cost to have him on the roster.

So it came as no surprise Monday when Rex Ryan said he expects to have Holmes back in 2012. A trade is out of the question, because the trading period opens at the start of the league in early March, and it would be hard to deal that contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/p ... ugh-escape

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Holmes contract a tough escape

By Rich Cimini
    Jan 2, 2012

The Jets made Santonio Holmes their marquee free-agent signing last offseason, retaining him with a five-year, $45 million contract.

Now they could be stuck with him because of an unusual clause in the contract.

Holmes is due a fully guaranteed $7.75 million in base pay for 2012, according to a person familiar with the contract. In addition, if he's on the Jets' roster on the second day of the waiver period (Feb. , more than half of his 2013 salary becomes guaranteed -- specifically, $7.5 million of $11 million.

So, basically, the Jets have to decide if they're willing to lock into Holmes for $15.25 million in guaranteed money. If they're okay with committing that much, it's like saying you're signing up for two more years of Holmes.

If they cut him, they'd still owe him $7.75 million and they'd take a $12.5 million cap hit in 2012 -- more than $3 million more than it would cost to have him on the roster.

So it came as no surprise Monday when Rex Ryan said he expects to have Holmes back in 2012. A trade is out of the question, because the trading period opens at the start of the league in early March, and it would be hard to deal that contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/p ... ugh-escape
    LOL @ the Jets & Stonio.

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Let's not forget that our dumb ol' front office happened to best the Jets in another way as well ... I bet they wish they still had Cotchery on their roster!
    I don't know about every way. The Jets took a run at FA Chris Kemoeatu a few years ago and the Steelers somehow managed to retain him. If only we could reverse that move now.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Santonio's been gone for 2 years and people are still talking about him like he's still in a uniform. People can make all the jokes they want about him. But you know we wouldn't have made it to SB XLIII and won it without Holmes making plays. I will always be grateful to Holmes for his contributions to our success.
    And yet you have a vendetta against Ben, who apparently had nothing at all to do with that drive to win SBXLIII. Glad you are grateful to the guy we dumped (and now his second team can't stand him), but you are ready to replace the quarterback who leads us to the Super Bowl every other year.
    williar = teeceemadison. Pretty sure Ben must've gotten "close" to one of his gfs, friends, or family members. Dude's been on a monomaniacal anti-Ben vendetta for years.

Stonio is news because he's a recent ex-Steeler. It's not out of line to talk about players we've recently cut or traded. Still Steeler news IMO.

As I've said elsewhere, I'll always be grateful for his play as a Steeler. Also, as was already mentioned he was a big part of the Jets' success last year. However, at this point I'm really starting to think he might be the new Terrell Owens (it actually took me a minute to remember TO's name...and I think that's a good thing). Perhaps this is just more prevalent for WRs. However that doesn't mean we have to accept it. I prefer my Steelers to be primadonna-less.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Updated: January 18, 2012

LT: Jets rift 'as bad as I've been around'

By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

If Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes remain New York Jets teammates in 2012, they might need an intervention to repair their relationship.

The Sanchez-Holmes rift was "as bad as I've ever been around," LaDainian Tomlinson revealed in a television interview.

Tomlinson, the latest player to characterize the dissension-torn locker room as The Florham Park Zoo, said he's not sure if Sanchez and Holmes can co-exist. The future Hall of Famer claimed the locker-room problems "got out of hand" toward the end of the season, adding that coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum fueled the mentality because they like players that speak their mind.

Details of the Sanchez-Holmes feud emerged at the end of the season, but Tomlinson said things started to fall apart in the third or fourth week.

"I've been around some locker rooms and quarterback-receiver situations and what-not, but it was as bad as I've been around," Tomlinson said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL," which aired Wednesday night.

"You know, it was at the point where I think the players could no longer do anything about it. There was nothing that the players could do. So when it gets to that point, there are certain changes that need to happen. Can it be fixed? I think absolutely it can be. But they're going to have to make some tough decisions."

Tomlinson said the players actually had a name for the rift -- the East Coast-West Coast beef, because Sanchez is from California, Holmes from Florida. He said they "poked fun at it," but he added, "In all seriousness, Santonio, obviously, he's a great player. There are some things that obviously he needs to work on as far as being a leader."

If he were the GM, Tomlinson said it would be a "tough one," the decision on whether to keep Sanchez and Holmes together. The Jets have said they plan to retain Holmes, who signed a five-year, $45 million contract before the season, but their true intentions will be known in the coming weeks. He's already guaranteed $7.75 million for 2012 and, if they don't cut by him Feb. 8, they'd have to guarantee an additional $7.5 million.

Tomlinson, contemplating retirement as he heads into free agency, didn't spare Ryan and Tannenbaum, intimating they contributed to the mess.

"They created this," he said. "This is the type of football team that they wanted. Mike Tannenbaum, Rex Ryan are both brash, in-your-face type of style, say whatever you want, just get it done on the field. And then it leads to other things, as guys are calling each other out and saying, 'I'm not getting the ball' or whatever it may be."

Perhaps it's no coincidence that, on the field, Sanchez and Holmes had terrible chemistry. There were 29 quarterback-receiver tandems in which the quarterback targeted that specific receiver at least 100 times, and the combo with the worst completion percentage was Sanchez to Holmes -- 50.2 percent.

The Sanchez-Holmes relationship started to fray after a Week 4 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, according to a source. Afterward, Holmes called out Sanchez and the offensive line, criticizing them publicly. The next day, Sanchez spoke to the offense as a group, asking for team unity. Shortly thereafter, Holmes made more critical comments to the media.

In the days leading up to the final game, Sanchez called a special quarterback-receivers meeting to watch film and Holmes showed up, complaining, as first reported by ESPNNewYork.com. He didn't show for the next day's meeting. In the game, Holmes was benched after jawing with teammates.

Tomlinson, reiterating what he said last Sunday on ESPN's NFL Countdown, refuted a claim by one unnamed player telling the New York Daily News that Sanchez is "lazy." But he did say the Jets need a backup to push him.

"I would say a bit pampered because he has no competition," Tomlinson said. "He has no real threat to say, 'This guy may take my job.'"

Tomlinson said Sanchez can overcome the turmoil, but "he just has to have pieces around him to help him get it done."

The NFL's leading active rusher also questioned the decision to stray from their Ground & Pound offense, another shot at Ryan.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," he said. "So a team that was coming off two straight AFC Championship Games relied heavily on the run. My opinion now, why would you just totally switch up your identity at that point?"

Tomlinson said he loves playing for the outspoken Ryan, but he admitted he doesn't always like the bravado.

"I would prefer him not to say it as much as he did," said Tomlinson, who said plenty himself.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... nio-holmes

Legend

Anyone still missing Stupidio? The Jets are probably praying for a way to get rid of him.

The front office is right on the mark again with player decisions and knowing when and what trash to take out to the curb!!!!

Still waiting for the off season news that Stupidio gets popped for dope again!!!!!
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Anyone still missing Stupidio? The Jets are probably praying for a way to get rid of him.

The front office is right on the mark again with player decisions and knowing when and what trash to take out to the curb!!!!

Still waiting for the off season news that Stupidio gets popped for dope again!!!!!
    Only thing better than Santokio screwing up the Jets would be to have him screw up the Ravens or the *'s.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

AB is developing nicely but uhhh yeah, I still miss Stupidio on the field...

Not sure why a story about Holmes trash talking on a team that encourages trash talking makes him a villain.

If your starting QB needs a back up to push him it's a problem.