Thread: Hines Ward's milestone

Hines Ward's milestone

He needs 5 catches to reach 1000 total for his career and I was wondering how much they'll actually use Hines vs the Browns. With Sanders returning this week Hines would normally only see about 10-25% of the offenses snaps, but with this record within reach will they use him more?

Do they try to get the ball to him early and often or wait until they have a sizeable lead or do they just go about business as usual and not worry about his milestone? How could this affect the game if they try to get him the ball?

I'd love for Hines to reach 1000 because he deserves it. I just hate a lot of the schemes that are implemented to get him the ball. The bubble screen being one of these schemes.

Pro Bowler

Re: Hines Ward's milestone

Your guess is as good as mine.
    Maybe we can use this to our advantage if the Browns think we are trying to get him the ball and then go another way; thats right up the "GeniusBA's" alley in deceiving the defense
    I dont see what the big deal is, he'll be here next year, get him the 1000th catch in the Hienz opener next year.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Apparently, they tried to throw more to Hines last week against the Rams when the game was all-but-sewn-up, but the Rams were aware that he was going for 1000, and did not want him to get it against them, so the DB's were yelling out "double 86" throughout the 4th quarter. If the NFC West Rams were aware of this, I'd imagine the AFC North Browns would have a clue about it too, so it would be better to throw to him early. That way, if they want to double team Hines to prevent 1000, they'd be leaving Wallace or Brown with single coverage, and we'd eat them alive.

Hall of Famer

i dont know why the steelers would play sanders much in this game given how injury prone he is. im predicting 5 wr screens to ward tomorrow which will probably result in a total of 6 yards

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Apparently, they tried to throw more to Hines last week against the Rams when the game was all-but-sewn-up, but the Rams were aware that he was going for 1000, and did not want him to get it against them, so the DB's were yelling out "double 86" throughout the 4th quarter. If the NFC West Rams were aware of this, I'd imagine the AFC North Browns would have a clue about it too, so it would be better to throw to him early. That way, if they want to double team Hines to prevent 1000, they'd be leaving Wallace or Brown with single coverage, and we'd eat them alive.
    That would be awesome if BA was aware of that and let it fly to Wallace and Brown, but I'll not hold my breath for either BA to be alert or the Browns to double Hines.

Legend

BA's script:

1. Bubble screen to Ward
    2. Bubble screen to Ward
    3. Bubble screen to Ward
    4. Punt
    5. Bubble screen to Ward
    6. Bubble screen to Ward
    7. Bubble screen to Ward
    8. Punt
    9. Bubble screen to Ward
    10. Bubble screen to Ward
    11. Bubble screen to Ward
    12. Punt

Pro Bowler

If he draws a double-team every time, we should start him.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848