Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Positives

Miscellaneous Positives

Ok we are (-12) in takeaway/giveway category and still on the verge of a 12-4 season, that is absolutely amazing to me. Im not a stats guy but this points in the direction of us being a really tough and resilient team. If I'm Tomlin, I have to put emphasis on ball security because if we don't turn the ball over we will blow the doors off these other teams.

The Ravens will be without Boldin these playoffs? If that is true then they are in big trouble when it comes to playing us again. I would say that their chances of beating us without him are slim to none. Boldin helped keep our guys out of the box. He was used to keep our defense honest and without him they open themselves up to alot of aggressive stuff from Lebeau.

As for the Cheats they are without DE Carter who gave us significant problems the last time we played. Carter was the only bright spot on New England defense. Against us, Carter is so important to their D that without him we will rip them apart. Now, they will have to blitz to get any pressure, and that probably won't work. With Carter, they could get pressure while only rushing 4, they could then drop guys in the zones and thats how they got that one pick which led to great field position for them and a subsequent TD. If they rush 4 now they give Ben too much time and our guys will get open, if they bring it then they leave a terrible secondary (minus Patrick Chung) exposed to a group of WR who can take it to the house at anytime. Big problems for them without Carter if they have to face us again. With Ben hobbled this is great news should we have to see them again.

Re: Miscellaneous Positives

Our tunrnovers, are they mostly on Ben ? I remember Hines and Miller giving up one each but after that, I kind of think they were mostly on Ben with interceptions and fumbles.

The Steelers are -11 in two games the Ravens I and San Francisco (2 of the 4 losses) and in the other 13 games they are -1, so basically break even. That's why their record is as good as it is and their turnover ratio is bad. Statistically the -7 and the -4 are outside the standard deviation, so they make the ratio look bad over all, but in fact they weren't thast bad.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Outside of not having any more turnovers throughout the Browns game and playoffs what, does the Steelers need to do to right the ship for success that will get us to the Super Bowl ?

And ultimately win the Super Bowl ?

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Outside of not having any more turnovers throughout the Browns game and playoffs what, does the Steelers need to do to right the ship for success that will get us to the Super Bowl ?

I would say that playing smart is big for them. This means things like avoiding dumb penalties or special teams errors. It means good clock management and down/distance decisions.

It may just be my homerism and I'm OK with that. However, I do believe that this Steelers team is as talented and experienced as they need to be to win it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    The Steelers are -11 in two games the Ravens I and San Francisco (2 of the 4 losses) and in the other 13 games they are -1, so basically break even. That's why their record is as good as it is and their turnover ratio is bad. Statistically the -7 and the -4 are outside the standard deviation, so they make the ratio look bad over all, but in fact they weren't thast bad.

Pappy

atta boy Pappy!

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig

We have to do better with Red Zone scoring opportunities.

We must run the ball effectively, with better consistency.

We must find a way to bring more pressure on the opposing QB's.

If we could do all three of those things, I'd say we have a decent shot of going somewhere in the playoffs.

That's an excellent post, Pap.

Skol!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

It's also pretty amazing that we are 11-4 with umpteen different starting offensive line combinations (seriously, we must have had 10 or 11 different starting fives on the offensive line this year).

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    It's also pretty amazing that we are 11-4 with umpteen different starting offensive line combinations (seriously, we must have had 10 or 11 different starting fives on the offensive line this year).
    eh, bunch of drama queens.....