Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,201

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    As I posted before:

    Marino YPA 9.0
    Brees YPA 8.2

    Now to add others
    Brady YPA 8.5
    E. Manning YPA 8.3
    Big Ben 8.15
    Rogers 9.3

    Given that the quickest release I have ever seen is from Dan Marino I would say you could plug in Rogers YPA numbers easily given today's no touch the WR football.

    you put Dan Marino in GB/Rogers YPA where it's a 58% pass 42% run his numbers look like this:

    Marino (YPA 9.3):--327-564 5245 yards

    Marino (YPA 9.3 with NO 62%-38% ratio):--404-630 5859

    Perhaps a reach but looking back in 1984 these are the number on YPA for QB's that year:

    Yds/Pass Att
    1. Dan Marino*+ MIA 9.0
    2. Joe Montana* SFO 8.4
    3. Neil Lomax* STL 8.2
    4. Steve Bartkowski ATL 8.0
    Lynn Dickey GNB 8.0
    6. Mark Malone PIT 7.9
    7. Ken Anderson CIN 7.7
    8. Dave Krieg* SEA 7.6
    Marc Wilson RAI 7.6
    Phil Simms NYG 7.6

    A couple of things to note--Boo Malone was 6th in the NFL for YPA
    And more importantly just how far above his competition Dan Marino was at the time. It is very similar to Rogers:

    Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 9.25
    Tom Brady, QB NE 8.5
    Matt Schaub, QB HOU 8.49
    Eli Manning, QB NYG 8.25
    Carson Palmer, QB OAK 8.2
    Drew Brees, QB NO 8.18
    Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 8.15
    Tony Romo, QB DAL 8.03
    Cam Newton, QB CAR 7.91
    Philip Rivers, QB SD 7.76

    If I wanted to take this further, I probably would compare league Pass to run % then to now just to guage how different the overall situation is in the NFL and use that overall % increase as a modifier to the pass/run ratio of Marino 84.

    Suffice to say...yes 6,000 may be overstating it...but not by much.

    brothervad
    Good info. Thanks for re-posting. It gives a depth of perspective.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL






  2. #22

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Great thread. And I agree with all of you who don't like the modern, pass-happier direction of professional football. I too, am watching less NFL these days. Hardly ever watch anymore unless it's the Steelers playing.

  3. #23
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,987

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Quote Originally Posted by rockonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    And I absolutely hate fantasy football. How anyone can cheer for a player on a hated
    team is beyond me.

    p.s. - Sorry fantasy nerds. Please don't tell your mom that I made fun of you.



    Fantasy football is doing it's best to ruin real football.

    Rockon
    This was what I was gonna post.

    The love of stats IS ruining the league. Plus look at Brees and Rodgers defenses. In the bottom 5 for the both of them. It's quickly becoming ARENA FOOTBALL folks.

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    i wouldnt say fantasy football is ruining the game since its been around for a very long time. only in the last 7 or 8 years its become extremely popular. i would say a combanation of different things has turned the nfl into arena football. the biggest reason for the change i think has been the rule changes. its impossible for defenses to play actual defense anymore. marino didnt really play all that long ago in the scope of things however the game is played very differently now compared to the 80's and 90's

  5. #25
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,149

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    All the NFL has done here is to throw more water into the soup. Instead of thinking of rules that emphasize pure essence of football to make the game thicker and heartier, they've watered down the meaning of scoring and offense.

  6. #26
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,493

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    All the NFL has done here is to throw more water into the soup. Instead of thinking of rules that emphasize pure essence of football to make the game thicker and heartier, they've watered down the meaning of scoring and offense.
    So you are saying that Campbell's soup should stop using their Chunky soups for their NFL ads and switch instead to their chicken broth?

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,149

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    All the NFL has done here is to throw more water into the soup. Instead of thinking of rules that emphasize pure essence of football to make the game thicker and heartier, they've watered down the meaning of scoring and offense.
    So you are saying that Campbell's soup should stop using their Chunky soups for their NFL ads and switch instead to their chicken broth?
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! :P Plus, it would be a whole lot more representative of the truth. I really appreciate truth in advertising.

  8. #28
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,144

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Saw this blurb on Grantland.com and thought of this thread:

    Was it right that I didn't get excited about Drew Brees' new passing yards record? It reminds me of Oscar Robertson averaging a triple-double, or any of the Bonds/McGwire home run records; it's impossible to separate the era from the accomplishment itself. When Dan Marino threw for 5,084 yards in 1984, you were allowed to (a) pummel the QB every chance you had, (b) dive at the QB's knees as he was throwing the ball, (c) crush any receiver coming over the middle, and (d) jam receivers at the line by any means necessary, even if you had to use a crowbar or a chainsaw. It was impossible to throw for 5,000 yards back then. Only two other 1984 QBs cracked 4,000 yards (Neil Lomax and Phil Simms); nobody else cracked 3,800 yards; and only five guys even attempted 500+ passes (Marino's 564 was the highest). In 2011? Ten QBs will crack 4,000 yards; six will crack 4,500 yards; two (including Tom Brady) will crack 5,000 yards. Heading into Week 17, ten 2011 QBs have already thrown more than 500+ passes, with Brees leading the way with 622. It's a totally different game. Heading forward, we're going to see multiple QBs throw for 5,000 yards every season right?

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,201

    Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Saw this blurb on Grantland.com and thought of this thread:

    Was it right that I didn't get excited about Drew Brees' new passing yards record? It reminds me of Oscar Robertson averaging a triple-double, or any of the Bonds/McGwire home run records; it's impossible to separate the era from the accomplishment itself. When Dan Marino threw for 5,084 yards in 1984, you were allowed to (a) pummel the QB every chance you had, (b) dive at the QB's knees as he was throwing the ball, (c) crush any receiver coming over the middle, and (d) jam receivers at the line by any means necessary, even if you had to use a crowbar or a chainsaw. It was impossible to throw for 5,000 yards back then. Only two other 1984 QBs cracked 4,000 yards (Neil Lomax and Phil Simms); nobody else cracked 3,800 yards; and only five guys even attempted 500+ passes (Marino's 564 was the highest). In 2011? Ten QBs will crack 4,000 yards; six will crack 4,500 yards; two (including Tom Brady) will crack 5,000 yards. Heading into Week 17, ten 2011 QBs have already thrown more than 500+ passes, with Brees leading the way with 622. It's a totally different game. Heading forward, we're going to see multiple QBs throw for 5,000 yards every season right?
    Excellent info, Ghost !
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL






Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •