Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

Re: Wheee! Look at the NFL QB's breaking Marino's record...

While I'm not disagreeing with what you guys are saying, I will point out that, realistically, the record is only likely to be broken by 2 QBs, which is still a lot for a record that was never gonna fall in the first place.

There's Brees, who has obviously already broken it, and will be adding to that this Sunday. And Brady, who only needs 185 yds to pass Marino. He'll probably do that.

Eli needs nearly 500 yds. to pass him. Could happen. Not likely. And Aaron Rodgers needs nearly 450 yds. to pass him. He certainly could do that. I doubt he's in that game long enough to throw for that many yds.

So Brady will probably be the only other one to pass Marino, but the fact that so many guys are in the neighborhood is just ridiculous.

Rockon

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    It's a bit extreme to say 4 QBs will break Marino's mark.

Only Brees and Brady are essentially locks. The others would need monster games even in today's NFL to get there. Rodgers would need nearly 450 yds in a game he doesn't need to play in. Eli Manning would need 500 yards. I highly highly highly doubt either happens.

The thing that stands out the most to me about all these passing yardage totals...

...that the Steelers lead the league in yards allowed...again...even with a porous run defense this year allowing 40ish yards more per game than they did last year.

The Steelers have the top rated pass defense allowing only 172.2 ypg. Incredible with todays rules and our past shortcomings in that area.

D Rock, I swear I did not plaigarize. Apparently we were on the exact same wavelength, you were just a couple minutes ahead of me. I guess it's true what they say, great minds think alike.

Rockon

Marino also never had a running game. Everyone in the house knew that he was going to throw. Brees actually has a couple of good RBs.

Imagine what those two Marks Brother midgets could have accomplished knowing that they could go over the middle without fear of being hit.

Maybe I'm wrong about Marino, but I'm going from memory and it seems he was always chucking the ball, but that could be because of the times and all other teams relying on the run makes it seem he was throwing the ball a lot more than he was really. I know he had a great OL that protected him very well.

The more comments I read the more I'm swayed to believe Marino could have done better under today's rules. Maybe 5088 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Maybe I'm wrong about Marino, but I'm going from memory and it seems he was always chucking the ball, but that could be because of the times and all other teams relying on the run makes it seem he was throwing the ball a lot more than he was really. I know he had a great OL that protected him very well.

The more comments I read the more I'm swayed to believe Marino could have done better under today's rules. Maybe 5088 yards.
    Any QB would have done better under today's rules.

In Marinos day you were allowed to separate the ball from the receiver, not so much
    today unless you want to forfeit $25,000 and make a trip to NYC so Mr. Goodell
    can tell you that it's not acceptable to play football like that anymore.

I guess at 32 you can call me a younger fan (maybe I don't qualify unless I wear skinny
    jeans) but I'm not a big fan of the way the game is played today. I'd rather see a 16-13
    ladders and chairs match than a 42-35 shoot out.

And I absolutely hate fantasy football. How anyone can cheer for a player on a hated
    team is beyond me.

p.s. - Sorry fantasy nerds. Please don't tell your mom that I made fun of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    And I absolutely hate fantasy football. How anyone can cheer for a player on a hated
    team is beyond me.

p.s. - Sorry fantasy nerds. Please don't tell your mom that I made fun of you.

Fantasy football is doing it's best to ruin real football.

Rockon

In 1984, the Dolphins passed 572 times, and ran 484. That's a difference of 88 - on average they passed about 5-6 more times than they ran each game.

The 2011 Saints are much more unbalanced. Through 15 games, they've passed 624 times and rushed 396. That's a difference of 228 - which mean that they average 15 more passing plays than run plays every game.

The 2011 Steelers will finish about where the 1984 Dolphins did in terms of balance - right now they have 101 more pass plays than run plays.

The 2011 Patriots are more unbalanced than the 1984 Dolphins, but less unbalanced than the 2011 Saints (about 170 more passes than runs so far).
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast

In 1984, the Dolphins passed 572 times, and ran 484. That's a difference of 88 - on average they passed about 5-6 more times than they ran each game.

The 2011 Saints are much more unbalanced. Through 15 games, they've passed 624 times and rushed 396. That's a difference of 228 - which mean that they average 15 more passing plays than run plays every game.

The 2011 Steelers will finish about where the 1984 Dolphins did in terms of balance - right now they have 101 more pass plays than run plays.

The 2011 Patriots are more unbalanced than the 1984 Dolphins, but less unbalanced than the 2011 Saints (about 170 more passes than runs so far).
    Good info, thanks. Do you have YPA on the QB's involved. YPA would add some interest to the comparisons of Marino, Brees, Roethlisberger and Brady.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

As I posted before:

Marino YPA 9.0
    Brees YPA 8.2

Now to add others
    Brady YPA 8.5
    E. Manning YPA 8.3
    Big Ben 8.15
    Rogers 9.3

Given that the quickest release I have ever seen is from Dan Marino I would say you could plug in Rogers YPA numbers easily given today's no touch the WR football.

you put Dan Marino in GB/Rogers YPA where it's a 58% pass 42% run his numbers look like this:

Marino (YPA 9.3):--327-564 5245 yards

Marino (YPA 9.3 with NO 62%-38% ratio):--404-630 5859

Perhaps a reach but looking back in 1984 these are the number on YPA for QB's that year:

Yds/Pass Att
    1. Dan Marino*+ · MIA 9.0
    2. Joe Montana* · SFO 8.4
    3. Neil Lomax* · STL 8.2
    4. Steve Bartkowski · ATL 8.0
    Lynn Dickey · GNB 8.0
    6. Mark Malone · PIT 7.9
    7. Ken Anderson · CIN 7.7
    8. Dave Krieg* · SEA 7.6
    Marc Wilson · RAI 7.6
    Phil Simms · NYG 7.6

A couple of things to note--Boo Malone was 6th in the NFL for YPA
    And more importantly just how far above his competition Dan Marino was at the time. It is very similar to Rogers:

Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 9.25
    Tom Brady, QB NE 8.5
    Matt Schaub, QB HOU 8.49
    Eli Manning, QB NYG 8.25
    Carson Palmer, QB OAK 8.2
    Drew Brees, QB NO 8.18
    Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 8.15
    Tony Romo, QB DAL 8.03
    Cam Newton, QB CAR 7.91
    Philip Rivers, QB SD 7.76

If I wanted to take this further, I probably would compare league Pass to run % then to now just to guage how different the overall situation is in the NFL and use that overall % increase as a modifier to the pass/run ratio of Marino 84.

Suffice to say...yes 6,000 may be overstating it...but not by much.

brothervad