Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

  1. #21

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    THE problem? No

    A problem? Yes, a big problem

    But not THE problem

  2. #22
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,304

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    The Steelers find themselves in a position that few teams ever get in the NFL.

    They have a franchise quarterback who gets along with his offensive coordinator.

    They have a defensive coordinator that may be coveted by other teams, but he isn't leaving to become head coach due to his age and his defense is typically a top 5

    They have an offensive coordinator who many think is a buffoon, but he has transformed the Steeler offense from a run first to a pass first offense to take advantage of the rules. He isn't leaving to be a head coach, mostly because of his age and partly because his offense hasn't reached its potential.

    They have a head coach who won't be going anywhere too soon, because the owners of the team believe in stability at the top.

    In other words, the Steelers have a head coach, defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator that aren't going elsewhere to coach and this creates an atmosphere of continuity and outstanding player relations. No other team (and probably not the Steelers once Lebeau, Arians or Tomlin retire) have the opportunity for stability at the three primary coaching positions.

    So, while some hate Arians, some hate Lebeau and some hate Tomlin, the bottom line is the Steelers have leadership stability at the top and I hope it doesn't change any time soon.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    Too bad stability on offense can't game plan, make game time adjustments, doesn't use the players to the best of their abilities.

    Also too bad that the head coach doesn't have enough offensive smarts to interject to lousy game day planning, game day adjustments oops, no game adjustments with his OC.


    Bruce Arian comments that have stuck out to me.

    Reporter: Bruce, you tried running that play all day and it didn't work against the defense why, with minutes remaining, the game on the line would you run that play again ?

    Arians: That's exactly why I ran that play I, didn't expect the defense to believe we would try that play again since, we had no success with it the entire game.


    I believe this was after our last Super Bowl with Green Bay having a starter out for the game or during the game in the secondary.

    Reporter: Bruce, why didn't you throw against the backup during the game ?

    Arians: We don't attack players or go against their weaknesses, we stick with our game plan.

    That's our brilliant OC.

    The sad thing is, he will probably leave when Ben retires or Bruce gets him killed and you'll never know just how terrific this offense could be had we had an OC that was at least half way decent.

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Too bad stability on offense can't game plan, make game time adjustments, doesn't use the players to the best of their abilities.

    Also too bad that the head coach doesn't have enough offensive smarts to interject to lousy game day planning, game day adjustments oops, no game adjustments with his OC.


    Bruce Arian comments that have stuck out to me.

    Reporter: Bruce, you tried running that play all day and it didn't work against the defense why, with minutes remaining, the game on the line would you run that play again ?

    Arians: That's exactly why I ran that play I, didn't expect the defense to believe we would try that play again since, we had no success with it the entire game.


    I believe this was after our last Super Bowl with Green Bay having a starter out for the game or during the game in the secondary.

    Reporter: Bruce, why didn't you throw against the backup during the game ?

    Arians: We don't attack players or go against their weaknesses, we stick with our game plan.

    That's our brilliant OC.

    The sad thing is, he will probably leave when Ben retires or Bruce gets him killed and you'll never know just how terrific this offense could be had we had an OC that was at least half way decent.
    OMG, did he really say those 2 things? If he did, I hate him more than ever and he should be fired on those comments alone!

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    A- please provide a link to whatever article those quotes were from.
    B- we will see how good Arians offense & gameplanning skills are with Batch at QB & he doesn't have Ben out there with his backyard football skills.
    @_Hellgrammite

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    I did not read his words, I heard his words in his interview. Believe me, I did hear him say those comments and I wouldn't give false statements or anything like that.

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    Bruce Arian comments that have stuck out to me.

    Reporter: Bruce, you tried running that play all day and it didn't work against the defense why, with minutes remaining, the game on the line would you run that play again ?

    Arians: That's exactly why I ran that play I, didn't expect the defense to believe we would try that play again since, we had no success with it the entire game.


    I believe this was after our last Super Bowl with Green Bay having a starter out for the game or during the game in the secondary.

    Reporter: Bruce, why didn't you throw against the backup during the game ?

    Arians: We don't attack players or go against their weaknesses, we stick with our game plan.

    That's our brilliant OC.
    Sounds like the genius to me.

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    I'm telling you, " not only is Arians a tool, he's the entire tool box "

  9. #29

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    A- please provide a link to whatever article those quotes were from.
    B- we will see how good Arians offense & gameplanning skills are with Batch at QB & he doesn't have Ben out there with his backyard football skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzwig
    I did not read his words, I heard his words in his interview. Believe me, I did hear him say those comments and I wouldn't give false statements or anything like that.




    FWIW, you've got at a witness here. I heard both interviews. And both quotes I've seen in print, but I am not gonna take the time to try and find them. As I'm sure Fezz fell the same way. But, the words are true and came directly from Arians' blowhole.

    QB hobbled on one leg? OL banged up and not great at pass blocking? No problem, let's dial up 45 pass plays and make our franchise QB a sitting duck against one of the most phyiscal defenses in the league in the 9ers, with a really good pass rush. Brilliant!!!(Those are my words, not Bruce)

    Rockon

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Is Bruce Arians the Problem or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    A- please provide a link to whatever article those quotes were from.
    B- we will see how good Arians offense & gameplanning skills are with Batch at QB & he doesn't have Ben out there with his backyard football skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzwig
    I did not read his words, I heard his words in his interview. Believe me, I did hear him say those comments and I wouldn't give false statements or anything like that.








    FWIW, you've got at a witness here. I heard both interviews. And both quotes I've seen in print, but I am not gonna take the time to try and find them. As I'm sure Fezz fell the same way. But, the words are true and came directly from Arians' blowhole.

    QB hobbled on one leg? OL banged up and not great at pass blocking? No problem, let's dial up 45 pass plays and make our franchise QB a sitting duck against one of the most phyiscal defenses in the league in the 9ers, with a really good pass rush. Brilliant!!!(Those are my words, not Bruce)

    Rockon



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •