Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clock Management Before Halftime

Backup

User Info Menu

Clock Management Before Halftime

What a mess that was... A veteran QB, and veteran coaches and they look like they never been in that position before. Certainly, "no huddle offense", is not a "hurryup offense" with the Steelers. Ben is not smart enough to run a "hurryup offense". He can not read defense on the fly...We've always knew that though.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Clock Management Before Halftime

Yeah, Ben is terrible "on the fly." All those 4th Q comebacks and all.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Although it wasn't the difference in the game, that was terrible management of the clock. And then terrible play calling after we stopped it.

If we didn't think we were close enough for a FG, why not use the time out? If we run a similar play maybe we get out of bounds and stop the clock, or clock it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It wasn't Ben's fault, that's on Arians!!

They subbed ...Hines Ward runs off the field, so someone had to run onto the field.

You don't sub, they should have spiked it!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I had no problem with the management. They just didn't have enough time.

AND, if their FG kicker didn't suck that would have helped.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe

They subbed ...Hines Ward runs off the field, so someone had to run onto the field.

$$$

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser

$$$
    Yeah, I did wonder why they didn't spike it. But, I thought they already had a play called so didn't need to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ya, when they mentioned on the TV that they were subbing a player I thought WTF??? Isn't this a hurry up offense? Don't you have a personnel grouping for more than one play? Can't you spike it and then huddle and sub?

Legend

User Info Menu

It was everyones fault. Why not call timeout with a gimpy Ben? Why sub? Why does it matter if we subbed? It takes just as much time to run up the new LOS as it does to sub a player...

and why did it take another 5 seconds to snap the ball after we were set?

They all were at fault. At the first sign of confusion Ben should have used the time out. He used it the other week when we didn't need to on that 4th down dry fake we try all the time.

Too many vets to pass the blame off on each other.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Remember that game in 2008 against the ravens where Santonio caught the ball at the Goldmine at the end of the game to win? If you remember the sequence of place before that we call our last timeout at something Like one minute to go in the game. And if that hadn't been touchrown the clock would've run out. After that game Tomlin said something about you should've saved the timeout and since then it seems to me that he has been under the false impression that he can save time at the end of the game by saving a timeout that he could have used earlier in the two minute drill.

It really is my only complaint about the guy. There have been a number of cases over the years where he misuses timeouts or leaves them on the table at the end of the half.

Sorry about any typos I'm posting from my phone.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]