Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody else wondering where Lawrence Timmons has been?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Anybody else wondering where Lawrence Timmons has been?

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis
    Playoffs are coming and the slate is wiped clean. With a healthy Harrison and Woodley back in their familiar positions outside, I expect to see a loaded-for-bear Timmons unleashed.
    What makes you think Woodley will be back in his familiar position. The guy has taken:
    -the first 1/4 of the season off
    -the 3/4 of the season off
    -and this last 4/4 of the season off

What makes you think he will be in there? The guy is stealing money from the team as far as I'm concerned. jhansle said it best--Timmons was supposed to be "a playmaker" on our D... a D that is thirsting for ONE MORE playmaker. It's basically impacted our whole team, in not being able to get turnovers, get off the field more on D, etc. He's not doing it.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Starter

User Info Menu

What makes you think Woodley will be back in his familiar position. The guy has taken:

What makes you think he will be in there? The guy is stealing money from the team as far as I'm concerned. jhansle said it best--Timmons was supposed to be "a playmaker" on our D... a D that is thirsting for ONE MORE playmaker. It's basically impacted our whole team, in not being able to get turnovers, get off the field more on D, etc. He's not doing it.
    And yet, somehow, this team is 11-4 heading into the final game of the year. It's all about the playoffs in this league. You know it and I know it. Let's see how it all shakes out in the REAL season before we start accusing guys of "stealing money."

I get it that you're not a Woodley fan and probably didn't want the team to give him a new contract. But bashing a guy who's been injured and saying he's stealing money? I don't get it. He was dominating teams in the games leading up to his hammy injury. Ask Tom Brady. Hamstring injuries are brutal because you can't keep your fitness level up while you're healing. Look at Andre Johnson in Houston. Is he stealing money?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Because he always steps up his game in the playoffs?

First four playoff games he played in...2 sacks in each of those games.
    Last three playoff games he played in...1 sack in each of those games.

That's 11 sacks in 7 career playoff games...he's never had a playoff games without a sack.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Hadn't thought about the amount of OLB Timmons has been asked to play this year... definitely not playing it effectively. He just gets engulfed by the offensive tackles he's rushing against.

Kinda reminds me, though, of Carnell Lake's "take one for the team" season in '95, when Rod Woodson went out and we turned an All - Pro caliber safety into an average corner. It obviously worked, though, because that team made the Super Bowl, and the defeat there certainly wasn't on the defense (ahem... Neil O'Donnell... ahem)

One thing's fairly certain, though... like it or not, Timmons/Woodley is the core of our D for the next several years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Stop making excuses, the guy has 1 sack this year and it came while he was unblocked.
    He doesnt shed blocks very well and isnt half as physical as Farrior is even at his age.
    He's been a dissappointment this year so lets hope he shines during the playoffs.
    If he makes plays in the post season he will have earned a pass from me this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seems like I'm always with the negatives but, it doesn't mean I don't feel positive about other stuff that goes well. To me life is like, work on the stuff that needs fixed.

I'm not happy with Timmons, the guy looks so out of place when he is on the field. Seems like he's late with a tackle, someone ran around him, away from him and he gets neutralized pretty easily.

Unless they are using him as a take the brunt of the offenses so that the rest of the defense can do their job but, I just don't see it. That's the linemens job anyway.

I see nothing that tells me that, we are getting the bang for our buc or draft selection with Timmons.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis
    I get it that you're not a Woodley fan and probably didn't want the team to give him a new contract. But bashing a guy who's been injured and saying he's stealing money? I don't get it. He was dominating teams in the games leading up to his hammy injury. Ask Tom Brady. Hamstring injuries are brutal because you can't keep your fitness level up while you're healing. Look at Andre Johnson in Houston. Is he stealing money?
    Actually, I did become a Woodley fan. And I hope I still can be one. I take issue with specific factors of his history with the team, and coupled with his current (and most certainly, legitimate) injury... not to mention his HUGE salary... and I'm frustrated.

Starting off seemingly every season slowly... to me... indicates that he doesn't come to the season properly prepared. Now of course, that means that maybe he's on to something (given that in the playoffs, he steps up. Maybe he knows his body that well.) Fine. But then... you shouldn't get a contract that pays you for 16+ games then. I bet Harrison could take off the first month of the year, older guys like Farrior, Aaron Smith probably would love to show up in October and get the opportunity to play in January. But if you area $60m man, you gotta give even more.

As I said, I don't really doubt his hamstring is a legit injury. I'm not questioning his toughness... I'm questioning his preparation, especially given his contract.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lots of opinions and hate for Timmons, but the guys who know and matter just signed him up for another 5 years. I think that says more about his performance than internet opinions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Lots of opinions and hate for Timmons, but the guys who know and matter just signed him up for another 5 years. I think that says more about his performance than internet opinions.

WORD!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the same guy or guys that believe Arians is good enough or possibly the same guy that is in charge of clock management