Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody else wondering where Lawrence Timmons has been?

Starter

User Info Menu

Anybody else wondering where Lawrence Timmons has been?

It was kind of expected that Timmons was going to step up and become the next great Steeler linebacker. We were looking for splash plays - forced fumbles, picks, sacks... and paid him handsomely based on that expectation. He was supposed to possess a unique skill set - safety speed and linebacker size - that would help him become the new wild card in the Steeler D, augmenting or even supplanting Troy in that role, some said.

In watching last night's game, it seemed to me that his physique - and his cover skills - looked about the same as James Farrior's... which brings me to my question. Has Timmons bulked up too much? It seems like he's carrying an extra 15 or 20 pounds, and to me it's robbing him of the skill set that was supposed to make him a star. Time to call Jenny Craig? Is he going to be another Levon Kirkland? Do they change his workout regimen and help him slim down? Or have they taken a high first round pick and effectively turned him into a lead footed heavy hitting inside thumper the like of which can be easily had on the second day of every draft?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Anybody else wondering where Lawrence Timmons has been?

The guy has always been "expectations" and "potential". I'm really tired of the love fest that people have with Timmons. Look at it objectively and he doesn't deserve all the credit he gets. I would say he's average.. big deal.

I don't know the terms of his contract but I hope it's not near top 10-15 LB money.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Said it before, but Paul Posluszny should have been the pick...after four years, compare the stats. I also am tired of the POTENTIAL of Timmons...show up for once this year and realize that potential!

Legend

User Info Menu

For a guy that is supposed to be an asset in coverage, he routinely gets toasted by opposing TEs.

Although he made a few plays in the run game, Timmons has probably been the biggest disappointment on the defense.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    For a guy that is supposed to be an asset in coverage, he routinely gets toasted by opposing TEs.

Although he made a few plays in the run game, Timmons has probably been the biggest disappointment on the defense.
    No kidding

0 Force Fumbles
    0 Sacks
    1 INT (that fell right into his lap)

Now, that's impressive. But as a 5-year pro, he's has all the "potential" to be great.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    It was kind of expected that Timmons was going to step up and become the next great Steeler linebacker. We were looking for splash plays - forced fumbles, picks, sacks... and paid him handsomely based on that expectation. He was supposed to possess a unique skill set - safety speed and linebacker size - that would help him become the new wild card in the Steeler D, augmenting or even supplanting Troy in that role, some said.

In watching last night's game, it seemed to me that his physique - and his cover skills - looked about the same as James Farrior's... which brings me to my question. Has Timmons bulked up too much? It seems like he's carrying an extra 15 or 20 pounds, and to me it's robbing him of the skill set that was supposed to make him a star. Time to call Jenny Craig? Is he going to be another Levon Kirkland? Do they change his workout regimen and help him slim down? Or have they taken a high first round pick and effectively turned him into a lead footed heavy hitting inside thumper the like of which can be easily had on the second day of every draft?
    I think Timmon's may have bulked up. I can't explain this drop in production after last year. I expected a lot more from him.

Mend is also a guy who bulked up and is slower.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Was he the guy that was covering Heath Miller and did such a great job on him, pretty much taking him out of the game. Well, he sure looked like the Timmons of a few years ago when he was frequently used in that capacity.

Anyhow, it occurred to me that maybe the Steelers will not have to use a bunch of #1 and 2 draft picks on ILB's in the next few years. Are any of these SF LB's going to be FA's. They sure seemed to be overloaded with them.

Legend

User Info Menu

I keyed on Timmons for a whole lot of that game last night.
    On 2 consectuve plays he blitzed and Gore stoned him on both.
    He missed several tackles including the one where Farrior penetrated deep into the backfield and Timmons just missed the tackle for a loss and the niners gained 2 yards.
    Just not the player he was last year IMHO

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Timmons really misses Aaron Smith. That guy could open things up for any linebacker.

Look at Timmons drop off in production since Smith has been gone (his move to OLB not withstanding).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1
    Was he the guy that was covering Heath Miller and did such a great job on him, pretty much taking him out of the game. Well, he sure looked like the Timmons of a few years ago when he was frequently used in that capacity.

Anyhow, it occurred to me that maybe the Steelers will not have to use a bunch of #1 and 2 draft picks on ILB's in the next few years. Are any of these SF LB's going to be FA's. They sure seemed to be overloaded with them.
    I also saw where that LB was covering Miller late in the game. He was just plain faceguarding the guy. Miller did have some good catches/moves in the game though.