Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we rest Ben as soon as we clinch a spot??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should we rest Ben as soon as we clinch a spot??

Obviously it all depends on how quickly he can heal up. But if we clinch a playoff spot, should we concede the division and concentrate on getting Ben and Pouncey ready for the playoffs??

Consider that even if we win out, there's still a good chance we're a wild card.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Should we rest Ben as soon as we clinch a spot??

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Obviously it all depends on how quickly he can heal up. But if we clinch a playoff spot, should we concede the division and concentrate on getting Ben and Pouncey ready for the playoffs??

Consider that even if we win out, there's still a good chance we're a wild card.
    I would. Just get to the playoffs...these guys have enough post-season experience that they don't 100% need to come in guns blazing on a 5 game winning streak. Just get to the playoffs healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would not. Not only is winning the division possible but also the #1 seed. Home field advantage plus a first round bye would be huge. Now if the Ravens win next week and the Steelers lose....then yes, rest before the wildcard game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    I would not. Not only is winning the division possible but also the #1 seed. Home field advantage plus a first round bye would be huge. Now if the Ravens win next week and the Steelers lose....then yes, rest before the wildcard game.
    I would rest Ben but I doubt it would happen. Ben plays like every play is his last and I could see him taking a hard hit late in the 4th quarter when we are up by 14 on a 3rd and 22 scramble.

John Wayne only knows how to play the game one way...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

If he can play, he plays. When you start trying to set up your lineup the last few weeks of the season, you lose your edge. See 2005 Colts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel
    If he can play, he plays. When you start trying to set up your lineup the last few weeks of the season, you lose your edge. See 2005 Colts.

Players play. You might pull him earlier if there is a game salted away. Other than that, the guy should be in making plays. This team doesn't seem to do well with time off this year. They need to be in their flow to make it go.

Legend

User Info Menu

To me, it depends on the severity of the injury at the time. Homefield advantage is really important and worth fighting for if at all possible. I say play him if he can go and is improving health wise, but if he is not improving or getting worse then I think you have to sit him and deal with road games.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Don't see how we can. One game away from division and potential Home field through the play-offs. Just can't throw that chance away. Anyway, historically, resting starters late hasn't proven to be a real benefit for teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

No way do I sit Ben. He sets the tone for this team and will keep them on fire going into the postseason.

Momentum is important.

Legend

User Info Menu

Two reasons why I would not rest him if he is able to play.

1) He has to be used to playing on a bum ankle. This is a chance to practice that.

2) His best chance of recovering from the injury is to give him a week off. We have to go for it if it is still in the cards.

BTW, I'm not sure of all of the tie breaking scenarios, but if we get to 11 wins then we are in. One more win in the last three games and we are clinched.....so we have already pretty much assured ourselves and I'm not even close to holding Ben out.