Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antonio's Brown's 5 for 151 give him 55 for 925 in 13 games!

Re: Antonio's Brown's 5 for 151 give him 55 for 925 in 13 ga

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Make no mistake, Brown is turning into an awesome WR. But, without Wallace to pull coverage his way I don't think Brown's numbers would look as good.
    I think the same thing can be said about every good to great WR.

Pappy

there's a misconception in the NFL that no #2 WRs can be great without the #1 WR on the opposite side. Personally I think Brown is better than Wallace at this stage of his game. Brown is dangerous everywhere on the field and if u heard the announcers the other night ... Brown is an extremely hard worker
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    To be fair to Holmes, he does have a terrible QB and an OC that would prefer to run the ball. But, I feel that Brown is at least as good. It is really hard to compare them. I prefer Brown's attitude and love the way he has earned Ben's confidence. I'm very glad he is on this team and he'll be dirt cheap next season too. Great draft pick.
    I don't think it's hard to compare them. I think Brown's professionalism (e.g. work ethic)gives him the edge. For the record, he had four years with Ben. AB has already surpassed three of Santonio's efforts with Ben, and had one (his last) which will be generally where AB ends this season.

I'm not discounting Santonio's big-play efforts with the team. He was a very good Steeler for us for those years. But his (lack of) professionalism ran him out of town, while AB is lauded for his professionalism.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Antonio Brown no longer a Steelers secret

DEC 17
    By Jamison Hensley

Second-year receiver Antonio Brown has become the Pittsburgh Steelers' No. 1 playmaker on offense.

After making a game-breaking play against the Bengals, the Steelers' Antonio Brown was talking to a swarm of reporters until quarterback Ben Roethlisberger asked to speak to the wide receiver off to the side.

Brown came back to his locker with a big grin on his face. So, what did Roethlisberger whisper to him?

"I can't reveal our secrets," Brown said coyly.

Well, there's one secret that can't be kept any longer: Brown is the top playmaker on the Steelers.

He first bypassed Hines Ward on the depth chart. He then climbed past Mike Wallace as the go-to target. Not bad for a sixth-round pick out of Central Michigan.

In a matter of a months, Brown went from the Steelers' promising No. 3 wide receiver to the popular No. 1 target when Pittsburgh needs to finish off a team.

It happened two weeks ago against Cincinnati when Brown returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown to answer a Bengals touchdown and essentially put the game away before halftime. It happened again last week against Cleveland when Brown took a short pass and turned it into a 79-yard touchdown to close out the game with 2:52 remaining.

The Steelers might need to rely on Brown even more Monday night at San Francisco if Roethlisberger can't play on his injured ankle.

"He is improving in all areas -- in route-running, coverage recognition, being quarterback-friendly and just an overall understanding of the game and how he fits in the big picture," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Brown. "That's what we expect of all second-year men, to grow by leaps and bounds in all areas, and he has done that to this point."

Antonio Brown's 79-yard touchdown against Cleveland sealed a Steelers' victory.
    Brown, the 195th player taken in the 2010 draft, has improved "by leaps and bounds" in this season alone.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Brown averaged 43.7 yards receiving with no touchdowns and no 100-yard performances in his first nine games this season. In the past four games, however, he has averaged 94.7 yards receiving with two touchdowns and three 100-yard games.

An argument could be made that wide receiver Mike Wallace remains the Steelers' most dangerous threat because of his speed. But Brown has been the team's most consistent threat based on his production.

"[The Steelers] have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game," Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb said last month.

Brown flashed his potential last season when he beat Webb for a 58-yard catch, the critical late play in the Steelers' divisional playoff win over the Ravens. He's just taken it to the next level this year.

"I always knew I was capable," Brown told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "It's a league of opportunities, and that's all it's about."

The real "secret" to Brown's success has been his bond with Roethlisberger. Brown leads the Steelers in passes thrown his way with 97, which is eight more than Wallace. He also ranks second in the AFC with 23 third-down receptions, which shows that Roethlisberger looks to him in pressure situations.

These numbers aren't being produced by talent alone. It's the result of hard work and long talks.

"If you watch us during practice, he's constantly by my side," Roethlisberger said. "He's just always right there, and it's good because he's coming to me asking 'OK, Ben on this play do you want me to do this, do you want me to do this?' And I think that's awesome because I know where he's going to be, and that's one of the biggest reasons why I think we've been so successful on third down."

Brown's biggest strength is his versatility. He can beat a team as a wide receiver or as a returner. He can beat a cornerback deep or show off his elusiveness by grabbing a short toss, spinning around a defender with a fake and racing untouched to the end zone.

"When you get single coverage and a guy that's as talented as he is, with body control, with his hands, he's got the speed to run deep," Roethlisberger said. "He just has a lot of tools [and] he puts in the extra work."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ers-secret

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    To be fair to Holmes, he does have a terrible QB and an OC that would prefer to run the ball. But, I feel that Brown is at least as good. It is really hard to compare them. I prefer Brown's attitude and love the way he has earned Ben's confidence. I'm very glad he is on this team and he'll be dirt cheap next season too. Great draft pick.
    I don't think it's hard to compare them. I think Brown's professionalism (e.g. work ethic)gives him the edge. For the record, he had four years with Ben. AB has already surpassed three of Santonio's efforts with Ben, and had one (his last) which will be generally where AB ends this season.

I'm not discounting Santonio's big-play efforts with the team. He was a very good Steeler for us for those years. But his (lack of) professionalism ran him out of town, while AB is lauded for his professionalism.
    Yeah, my post was in reference to someone comparing their numbers for the year. If you really think that is fair, then you must be a huge Mark Sanchez fan.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    WRs are fun. They make the game cute.

But as long as we have Ben, he'll make any WRs we put on the field.

I hope we don't overpay these WRs.

Remember the formula QB + Defense = Championships.

WRs are rounding errors in that equation.
    Eh, I don't know. I don't think you throw Limas Sweed, Fred Gibson, and Danny Farmer out there and have as much success.

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    ... Brown is an extremely hard worker
    And that is the best part of this story. Brown worked hard and reaped the benefits. I'm sure Tomlin has made that fact perfectly clear to other young players who may be struggling for PT.

Leadership by example.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe

Yeah, my post was in reference to someone comparing their numbers for the year. If you really think that is fair, then you must be a huge Mark Sanchez fan.
    Nevertheless, the reply on your part that you cannot compare the two is wrong because they DID play with the same QB. Had he not been a Steeler at all THEN you might have a point.

I would go on to say this: It is easier to compare these two receivers than it is to compare ANY two receivers who are not teamates

Brown sets all-purpose yards record

By Mike Prisuta - WDVE-FM

It was a record that stood since 1992, which meant something to Antonio Brown. And it was a Pittsburgh Steelers’ record, which meant everything to the franchise’s newly-anointed, all-time leader in single-season all-purpose yards.

“It’s prestigious,” Brown said after amassing 77 all-purpose yards in the Steelers’ 27-0 Christmas Eve victory over the St. Louis Rams, an output that ran Brown’s 2011 total to 2,048. “I play for one of the greatest organizations. To have something like that, it’s special.

“I’m just thankful.”

Brown totaled 8 yards rushing, 34 receiving, 5 on punt returns and 30 on kickoff returns against the Rams.

He had reported to Heinz Field with 984 receiving yards and was fixated on pushing that total into four figures to the extent that he was unaware running back Barry Foster’s mark of 2,034 all-purpose yards in 1992 was within striking distance.

“I had no idea,” Brown said. “I knew I was close to 1,000 yards receiving. That’s what I was kind of thinking about.”

Brown pushed his receiving yards total to 1,018.

His day also included a couple of tackles, one after an interception thrown by fill-in quarterback Charlie Batch, and one when the Rams tried a fake punt on fourth-and-10 from the Pittsburgh 44-yard line with 13:30 left in the second quarter and the Steelers leading, 3-0.

Special teams coordinator Al Everest said the Steelers were aware something might be up at that juncture and had all four eligible receivers either covered or sealed off due to the nature of the punt return they were running.

Punter Donnie Jones eventually took off running once he determined there was nowhere to throw the ball.

Brown blasted him 1-yard shy of the first down.

“I was about 35, 40 yards deep,” Brown recalled. “I saw at the snap of the ball he kind of hugged the ball like he was throwing a pass, so I hurried down to make a stop.”

Added Everest: “That’s (Brown’s) guy. Fortunately for us, Antonio read it, came up quickly and made the tackle. (Jones) took off running and Antonio made a great play.

“It was a good tackle. He’s a good football player.”

This season Brown has become an explosive football player as well. After reporting to training camp as “a highly conditioned athlete,” according to Coach Mike Tomlin, Brown has spent this season realizing more of the potential he flashed as a rookie, and he has earned enough trust from the coaching staff to have started three of the last six games.

Brown didn’t start against the Rams, as the Steelers opened with three tight ends, running back Rashard Mendenhall and Hines Ward at wide receiver. But Brown was able to do enough upon entering the game to continuing earning the respect and admiration of veterans such as Ward, as well as set the franchise record for all-purpose yards.

“Just phenomenal considering where the kid came from,” Ward said of Brown, a No. 6b draft pick (195th overall) from Central Michigan in 2011. “When he touches the ball special things always happen.

“I haven’t seen somebody with such big-play capability since (wide receiver Antwaan) Randle El. Every time on punt return I stand up because it could be the one. Hopefully, (Brown) will continue to gain confidence and make a name for himself in the postseason.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... abc082eb5a

He sucks. He only got me 3 points in my fantasy league.

Pro Bowler

should've benched him like i did
    I guessed correctly with Batch starting