Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did we see a shift in the LeBeau Doctrine yesterday?

Legend

User Info Menu

Did we see a shift in the LeBeau Doctrine yesterday?

Historically - LeBeau brings the kitchen sink at QBs when we need our defense to make a play. This is especially so against rookie/inexperienced QBs.

Also - Over the last year or so, when we've done that, these young QBs have developed an irritating habit of looking like Joe Montana, and killing us with 1st down completions on 3rd and forever ... costing us a few games here and there.

Yesterday - rookie QB, in the past a situation guaranteed to see 5 or 6 or more coming at him like a freight train, over and over. But LeBeau instead chose to win by confusing him with coverage ...

I just don't recall LeBeau going that route very often. I wonder if it's a nod to the reality that we're not able to dial up the rushing pressure like we could a few years ago, and that gives the QB another moment or two to find the weak spot in our zone.

Or ... am I just totally off base?

What do you guys think ... ?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Did we see a shift in the LeBeau Doctrine yesterday?

What I have been seeing the past couple of games is that the DL is getting turned loose to go after the QB versus just occupying OLmen. Kiesel was a monster yesterday.

Our defense would really improve if our DL was given the greenlight to attack more often.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

We did the same thing vs Palko and plenty of fans on here complained that DL wasn't bringing pressure.

I thought the coverage sacks and lack of pressure was DL's mantra for rookies.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    What I have been seeing the past couple of games is that the DL is getting turned loose to go after the QB versus just occupying OLmen. Kiesel was a monster yesterday.

Our defense would really improve if our DL was given the greenlight to attack more often.
    It's easy to pin your ears back when the score is 28 to 7 at half. In a close game it's harder to call pass rushes.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

It's easy to pin your ears back when the score is 28 to 7 at half. In a close game it's harder to call pass rushes.

One could also argue that the way to make a game 28-7 is to attack the QB more consistently.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

One could also argue that the way to make a game 28-7 is to attack the QB more consistently.

One could also argue that the way to make a game 28-7 is for the offense to move the ball consistently and score touchdowns....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did anyone else notice that Keenan Lewis was the RCB for most of the game and not Gay? Gay was the nickel. Another LeBeau shift!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And Cortez Allen subbing in for Clark too...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    And Cortez Allen subbing in for Clark too...

"The Steelers have been looking for ways to get talented rookie corner Cortez Allen into their dime package and may have found it.

They brought safety Ryan Clark off the field at times in the dime in favor or Allen, giving them four corners and Troy Polamalu on the field at the same time.

That's a lot of coverage."

posted by Dale Lolley

[url="http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/"]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

My sense it that Lebeau is realizing that our LBs just don't have the juice to pass rush for the entire game. Dropping them into zone coverage can keep them fresh longer so that they can dial it up when they need to in the 4th Q.