Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Safety- an Aussie's option...

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Player Safety- an Aussie's option...

Alright guys, we keep hearing about the crackdown on helmet-to-helmet hits & the importance of player safety from Goodell's NFL. Funny thing is, the NFL cronies are not attacking the cause of the 'danger', only the 'effect'.

If they really wanted to improve player safety, if they were really serious, the single most dangerous aspect of NFL football, and in fact, helmet-to-helmet hits, is.... the helmet. It is the weapon that makes helmet-to-helmet hits the danger they are.

Now, I could be extreme & suggest the NFL does away with the helmet. But I won't be extreme. I'll suggest an option.

Right now, the NFL helmet is, I believe, 2-layered. The inner casing is that white padded perspex, which is, in turn, surrounded by the harder perspex shell on the outside. The outside shell allows for nice, sleek, attractive looking helmets. It's also dangerously hard when in contact with a person's face, for example.

My suggestion involves a bit of sideways thinking- keep the inner padded perspex layer to form the 'shape' of the helmet, but instead of adding a hard perspex coating to the outside, use a much softer, and safer, casing of rubber on the outside- say 4-8mm thick. Essentially, you protect the players head with a big padded helmet, but you also protect the opposition player due to the softer casing coming in contact with them.

Rubber products are easy to access, affordable & technology alows them to be used in many varied ways. There is really no reason you couldn't encase players heads in rubber & offer them superior protection while eliminating a large portion of personal injury risk to the players around them.

Where's Goodell?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Re: Player Safety- an Aussie's option...

No.

Hope that helps. But thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Alright guys, we keep hearing about the crackdown on helmet-to-helmet hits & the importance of player safety from Goodell's NFL. Funny thing is, the NFL cronies are not attacking the cause of the 'danger', only the 'effect'.

If they really wanted to improve player safety, if they were really serious, the single most dangerous aspect of NFL football, and in fact, helmet-to-helmet hits, is.... the helmet. It is the weapon that makes helmet-to-helmet hits the danger they are.

Now, I could be extreme & suggest the NFL does away with the helmet. But I won't be extreme. I'll suggest an option.

Right now, the NFL helmet is, I believe, 2-layered. The inner casing is that white padded perspex, which is, in turn, surrounded by the harder perspex shell on the outside. The outside shell allows for nice, sleek, attractive looking helmets. It's also dangerously hard when in contact with a person's face, for example.

My suggestion involves a bit of sideways thinking- keep the inner padded perspex layer to form the 'shape' of the helmet, but instead of adding a hard perspex coating to the outside, use a much softer, and safer, casing of rubber on the outside- say 4-8mm thick. Essentially, you protect the players head with a big padded helmet, but you also protect the opposition player due to the softer casing coming in contact with them.

Rubber products are easy to access, affordable & technology alows them to be used in many varied ways. There is really no reason you couldn't encase players heads in rubber & offer them superior protection while eliminating a large portion of personal injury risk to the players around them.

Where's Goodell?
    I've been saying this all along. All this supposed emphasis on 'player safety' yet they haven't made any mandated equipment changes. Until they find a way for players to retract their head like turtles you will continue to get head to head hits. It's impossible to get your head out of the way when tackling and smart offensive receivers will have no problem lowering their head to get a penalty.

Goodell had a knee jerk reaction to one week when a number of players got hurt. Now he's backed himself in a corner and doesn't know what to do.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

I think that is the most logical, sensible idea I have heard in a long time. Unfortunately theres nothing logical or sensible about what Goodell does.

your option is much more realistic than mine. But mine would be less costly. Very simply make the rules for contact within 10 yards not 5 yards.

My thought is this...teams will have more trouble with over the middle stuff and defenders will not be in position to destroy the receiver coming over the middle...they will be on the receiver.

Defenses will adjust spending more time in coverage than blitzing

Won't take away the deep middle stuff, but I can guarantee it would reduce the number of injuries.

Only problem is it wouldn't play in the constant scoring mindset of the modern day fan.

Gotta have 42-35 scores to make it exciting

brothervad

Hall of Famer

What to do with the face mask? Change its material? Would that still protect a face? How would you mount a metal face mask on a rubber helmet?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    your option is much more realistic than mine. But mine would be less costly. Very simply make the rules for contact within 10 yards not 5 yards.

My thought is this...teams will have more trouble with over the middle stuff and defenders will not be in position to destroy the receiver coming over the middle...they will be on the receiver.

Defenses will adjust spending more time in coverage than blitzing

Won't take away the deep middle stuff, but I can guarantee it would reduce the number of injuries.

Only problem is it wouldn't play in the constant scoring mindset of the modern day fan.

Gotta have 42-35 scores to make it exciting

brothervad

I think you're really getting to base of it all here.

The issue is the speed and openness of the game, which the league has created with its new rules every year.

Bigger players + more speed to the game = bigger and more uncontrollable contact = more injuries

I believe it would be possible to both make the game more physical and reduce injuries at the same time

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    What to do with the face mask? Change its material? Would that still protect a face? How would you mount a metal face mask on a rubber helmet?
    You would still have the fibreglass/perspex inner shell for the helmet to give it it's 'base'- you could simply attach the grill to the inner shell for stability. The rubber shell on the outside of the helmet would simply remove the hard outer casing. It shouldn't, as far as I can tell, destabalize the strength of the helmet- simply reduce the hardness of the outer shell with a softer substance.

The grill can remain metal. Helmet's would still remain 'hard' due to the inner casing, they don't become pliable rubber hats. But it would stop them being a rigid weapon that makes hard contact with an opponant without any buffering.

As a side effect- the next time Ben whacks his hand on a defenders helmet, he'd be less likely to break his fingers...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Legend

Until they find a way for players to retract their head like turtles you will continue to get head to head hits. It's impossible to get your head out of the way when tackling
    This is what I was thinking. The NFL is putting the emphasis on player safety firmly at the feet of the players- demanding they change the style the game is played on their part.

But an adjustment in equipment could allow the game to continue, mostly unchanged, and then put player safety emphasis at the feet of the NFL- not the players. That way, the NFL gets what it wants & doesn't need to continually fine players.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Reduce the size of Goodell's head and the players will be fine.

And in all seriousness, reducing the size of the helmets is the way to go. I can't stand the term helmet to helmet. Why the f--k do they have helmets in the first place?