Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers players have plans for the bye

Steelers players have plans for the bye

Steelers players have plans for the bye

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Thanksgiving is a week away, but thanks to the Steelers bye week many players will be able to celebrate the holiday with their families.

I plan to go home and have Thanksgiving dinner with the family, said Stevenson Sylvester. We are having an early dinner. My mom thought the bye week was next week, but I told her it was this week so we are doing it early.

Chris Carter has a long trek home to California for the weekend, but he knows its going to be well worth it.

I will probably spend two days traveling but it will be good to get back and catch up with my family, said Carter. I am looking forward to my moms cooking. I already gave my mom the menu. I have to get some of her chicken, yams. Its going to be like Thanksgiving. Since I wont be able to be there for it we are going to have an early one.

While dinner is on the calendar for some players, having lunch with his son Jaden is at the top of the list for Hines Ward this weekend.

I am looking forward to having lunch at my sons elementary school, said Ward. He is excited about that. He is at a new school so he is taking me there with him for lunch.

Spending time with family is on the agenda for many players, including Chris Hoke who is the father of five.

I am going to go to the gym with my wife and then go out to lunch, said Hoke. It will be great to take my kids to basketball and football practice and see my kids game on Saturday.

Its hard when we travel on Saturday and I miss my kids games. When I miss their stuff its hard on me. It will be fun to be there for my son this weekend.

Larry Foote is looking forward to daddy duty over the weekend, but knows it will be anything but relaxing.

I am going to sit on the couch and chase kids around all day, said Foote. You think its relaxing to have the bye, but when you have a four-year old, two year old, 15-year yr old and a pregnant wife there isnt going to be any relaxing.

And of course, some players will be tuning in to football over the weekend.

I am going to rest and watch football, said James Farrior. I didnt subscribe to DirecTV so I will just watch whatever is on TV and keep up with the other scores.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 815a7eb7d4

Re: Steelers players have plans for the bye

I am with James Farrior, that is exactly what I would do. Of course, I don't have any kids so it makes it easy to do that.

call me crazy but you'd think the NFL players would get FREE Sunday Ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie36
    call me crazy but you'd think the NFL players would get FREE Sunday Ticket!
    I'm thinking NFL players like James Farrior probably can afford it...

Steelers cry: 'Here we go, Bengals'

Thursday, November 17, 2011
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After winning in Cincinnati Sunday, the Steelers will rank among the Bengals' biggest fans this weekend. The winner of Cincinnati's game at Baltimore will tie the Steelers for first place in the AFC North Division, and it is no surprise they would rather it be the Bengals.

"I'm a fan this weekend," said defensive captain James Farrior. "I've got to be pulling for the Bengals this weekend, don't I? We need the Bengals to mix it up a little bit. We're going to shake up this race, try to keep it close to the end and win it at the end."

Pulling for one division opponent over another may be distasteful to them, but the Steelers (7-3) need someone to beat Baltimore (6-3, like the Bengals) at least one more time for them to have a chance to win the division. They cannot do it because they already have lost twice to the Ravens. If they finish in a tie, the division title goes to Baltimore.

The Steelers, however, are in control when it comes to the Bengals, who will visit Heinz Field for their second game Dec. 4. Before the past weekend, the Steelers needed Baltimore to lose twice but Seattle took care of one with an upset victory against the Ravens.

The skinny: The Steelers can expect to face former Pitt and West Allegheny High School QB Tyler Palko, who has replaced the injured Matt Cassel.

"That helped us out," Farrior said. "Any time they lose a game, it's going to help us out tremendously. But we have to take care of our business, we can't really focus on who they're playing and how they're playing. We just have to take care of the things we can control."

Even if the Ravens lose once, the Steelers must win their remaining six games in order to finish ahead of them, win the division title and secure one of the two playoff seeds in the AFC, with a bye and home games that go with it.

But, perhaps, playing at home in the playoffs does not mean that much anymore. Before 2005, no team had played all its playoff games on the road and won a Super Bowl. The Steelers were the first to do it in '05 and, since then, the New York Giants and Green Bay Packers have followed suit.

"I definitely think it's still important," Farrior said. "We've had teams in the past that did it [on the road]. We've done it. Green Bay did it last year. But, when you play at home, it's a different feel. You still have to go out and play the game, but it's definitely a better feeling to have your home crowd and have that be an advantage for you in the game."

So, Farrior and his teammates will pull for Cincinnati Sunday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11321/11 ... z1dzTxHiwe

Awesome pic HS

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Let's hope no matter their plans we come out of the gates ready to go and not crap the bed vs KC.
    @_Hellgrammite

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Let's hope no matter their plans we come out of the gates ready to go and not crap the bed vs KC.

The boys should be mostly healthy, rested, re-loaded and ready start the drive to the playoffs. This is where they build momentum to be the team that we all thought they would be at the beginning of the season.

Of course, they looked great the last few pre-season games and then came in flat against a team you would never think they'd be flat against to start the year. That sometimes concerns me that they might be flat after the bye as well. Tomlin, Farrior or Ben need to give them some kind of "St. Crispin's Day" speech or something. Let's go get it boys, now is your time!!

Steelers remain busy during bye

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, November 19, 2011

Good Bye(s)

The Steelers have won three consecutive games after their regular-season bye and lost one such game since Mike Tomin took over as coach in 2007. Here are those results:

2010: vs. Browns, W 28-10

2009: at Broncos, W 28-10

2008: at Bengals, W 27-10

2007: at Broncos, L 31-28

James Farrior is in his 15th NFL season.

And when the inside linebacker gets a break, such as the one the Steelers players have been enjoying since last Wednesday afternoon, he figures to get as far away from football as possible.

But it is his day job, not football, that Farrior put in the rear-view mirror earlier this week when he went home to Virginia.

"I'm going to be watching football this weekend just like every other fan in the United States," Farrior said. "This is a stress-free weekend. It's just a big weight lifted off your shoulders. We can just relax and reflect 10 games in and (on) what we have the rest of the way and check out a little football and see how things shake out this weekend."

The Steelers are 7-3, and they will be tied with the Ravens or Bengals for first place in the AFC North when they return from the bye.

Farrior pretty much summed up what the bye encompasses for the players that scattered Wednesday, following the Steelers' final practice of the week.

The only extended break of the regular season gives them a chance to get away from a grind that started in late July. It also provides them with an opportunity to recalibrate their minds and bodies.

"I think it's perfect," said Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace of the bye. "If we get to where we want to go, and that's the Super Bowl, the bye week comes right in the middle of it. At the beginning of the year, I was kind of like, 'That's kind of late,' but you couldn't ask for a better time right now."

Wallace went back to New Orleans for the break, but he didn't completely get away from work.

He and wide receiver Antonio Brown were among the players that downloaded game film of the Kansas City Chiefs onto their iPads so they could get a jump on studying the Steelers' next opponent.

"We're on a mission, so you can't just stay completely away from it," Wallace said on how much he distances himself from football during the bye. "You try to, but when you're trying to get where we're trying to get, you don't just want to lose focus all the way, but you want to enjoy yourself as well."

Farrior said he won't start looking at film of the Chiefs until he returnsto Pittsburgh since the Steelers have an extra day next week to prepare for Kansas City.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, like Farrior, didn't plan on taking any work with him when he returned home for a couple of days.

"When I'm away from football, I'm away," said Woodley, who went back to Michigan to see family and friends, rest the injured hamstring that has sidelined him for the last two games and even pay a visit to his high school.

At least one member of the Steelers didn't look at the bye as an opportunity to get get away from football for a few days.

"I'll be in here looking at video, Kansas City, getting ready for them," defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau said. "It's just what I do."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1eAaCMPsX

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Wallace went back to New Orleans for the break, but he didn't completely get away from work.

He and wide receiver Antonio Brown were among the players that downloaded game film of the Kansas City Chiefs onto their iPads so they could get a jump on studying the Steelers' next opponent.
    I LOVE this part!

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west
    Awesome pic HS
    It came from this week's issue of ESPN the Magazine that did an in depth look at a single NFL game (all of the preparation that goes into that one game) and the focus happened to be on Steelers at Texans in week 4. Sucks that it was an in depth profile of a loss, but I always like these kinds of behind-the-scenes things. I'm about half way through it now.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware