Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grades for the year and our draft needs...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Grades for the year and our draft needs...

TE- Are there any TE's out there with round 1 grades? A big TE who can block, pass block, and catch would be a great compliment to Miller.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
    I think S is another position to look into. Mundy is decent but Polamalu and Clark are coming of age.

1st rnd---S
    2nd Rnd--ILB
    3rd Rnd--O-Line
    This is a good start. Those are all 1st round possibilities for us, I believe.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think S is another position to look into. Mundy is decent but Polamalu and Clark are coming of age.

1st rnd---S
    2nd Rnd--ILB
    3rd Rnd--O-Line
    This is a good start. Those are all 1st round possibilities for us, I believe.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    It is really hard to determine draft needs before March 1st with any certainty. We don't know who the Steelers will cut, who will be resigned to extensions, etc.

For example, you said our receivers are the best in football and there is no need to add to the pool. I think that may not be the case. We will likely cut Hines Ward and Battle given our cap situation. Cotchery will be a free agent. Wallace's rookie contract will be up and we must decide if we can afford to extend him or if we will try to give him the high tender as a RFA. We will likely retain him, but it is not a sure thing. But, even if we do retain Wallace, we may only have 3 proven WRs on the roster going into the draft. I'd say that makes WR a draft need especially considering the number of 4 WR sets we like to use. Furthermore, this is the year of the big receiver in the draft. There is incredible depth at WR in this draft. WR could be an excellent value in the middle rounds. We could find another future starter.

Plus factor in sanders injury history

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We definately need DEFENSE

Harrison could play for 4 or 5 more years, but then again what if he doesn't??
    Farrior is done after the year.

I also don't see Ryan Clark being around for more than 2 more years.

OG needs to be addressed on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball. But Free Agency might be our best bet there since we've had no luck getting OG's in later rounds
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

1st rnd---S
    2nd Rnd--ILB
    3rd Rnd--O-Line
    I would add nose tackle to that list. Casey Hampton has actually lasted longer than the average nose tackle, but in that position the end can come mighty quick. Joel Steed is a perfect example of that. The good thing about the Steelers needs is that you can usually find the best player in at least one of those positions even at the end of the first round. Some might have questioned taking a center like Pouncey in the first round, but if the guy has a chance at being the best at his position it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    We definately need DEFENSE
    I agree. When people talk about the Steelers getting old, they are talking about the defense. With Hnes Ward no longer a starter, the Steelers O is one of the youngest in the NFL. It is Farrior (36), Hoke (35) Hampton (34), Keisal (33), Harrison (33), Clark (32) who make the defense old. The departure of Aaron Smith will begin the renewal process on D, but we're going to have to go heavy on the D in the draft the next two years.

Starter

User Info Menu

In response to WindyCity, we already have Antonio Brown and I would not trade him for anyone.

I agree about S and ILB being priorities, unless we can switch someone currently on the roster as a CB over there. I am still wondering/hoping about Mortty Ivy at ILB. Could he have a future there? I dont know, is he currently with the team. I think he had been on and off lately. Could Worilds maybe play ILB? Could he do worse than being at OLB?

I wonder how long Heath has left. He has been fabulous but we might need to start thinking about it soon.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think the Packers have the best group of WR in the NFL.

Also, we won't have money to sign a FA OG. We will need to draft a quality OG in the first couple of rounds to upgrade that position.

I think we have three big needs....ILB, Safety, and OG. The play at those positions is mediocre at best. You can probably get away with our group of safeties for another season, but ILB and OG must be upgraded. The team also needs a NT but I am not sure if they can get a quality NT late in round 1.

I saw a post saying the team should draft all defense and using the Pats as an example of why that should happen. The Pats problem is that they have not drafted well. They have drafted defensive players that simply have not worked out. It is possible that Pioli was more significant in talent evaluation than what has been described.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I'd draft all defense.

Look what happened to the Pats. They got Brady all these weapons and linemen and their offense looks terrific, but their D is suffering big time and they won't compete for a title as a result.

Ben + Defense = Championships

Until Ben dies, load up on D talent.
    Sorry Flippy, I respectfully disagree. The Pats are 6-3 and can still beat almost team in the league when their offense is on. The NFL is changing it's rules to help high powered offenses score more points. When you say "until Ben dies" you're selling out you're key to victory. I'm of the opinion "make sure Ben doesn't die" so that you CAN win more championships. Pouncey is great. Gilbert and Starks are both solid. Those three men are covering pretty well for our below average guards but what if we had two great pass blocking guards? What if we could score an extra 7 points a game? Our defense wouldn't need as drastic of upgrades.

Having said that, I agree that we need upgrades at NT, ILB, and FS. But I still think OG is our weakest link (LG and RG).

Backup

User Info Menu

I think OG is the biggest weakness on our team also. DJ whiffs on too many blocks as well. When we run the ball and DJ doesnt even make contact with a defender we have 8 guys blocking 11 tacklers. Thats not gonna work out most of the time.