Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grades for the year and our draft needs...

Grades for the year and our draft needs...

O-L... C Yea 31 sacks leads the NFL but about 10 of those are on Ben. I think they have done decent at protecting Ben, rush blocking has been weak however.

WR... A Best wideouts in the NFL in my opinion. No need whatsoever.

QB... B+ Slow start but has come on very strong last 6-7 games. Start looking for replacement in 2 years. Lefty will be back next year.

RB... C Passing much more and run blocking has sucked. I still believe we have a great back in Mendy. Isaac is a starter elsewhere. Moore is servicable with Dwyer and Batch who got hurt looks like a keeper.

TE... B With Heath, Johnson cathing a few balls here and there and with Saunders whom I like, we should be set.

DL... D+ Not stopping the run as well as in the past. Hampton looks like he is getting old. Hood has done notta, while Keisal has done a decent job. I have been impressed with McClendon and Hoke has had a solid game or two in replacing Hampton early on.
    Still we are somewhat set for the future here with Heyward, Hood and McClendon.

LB'S... B- Need more splash plays here, Farrior getting older (last year). Slvester is still a mystery. Harrison is still a beast. Timmons solid but not making splash plays. Worilds only looks decent and Woodley is having a nice year. Need everyone healthy.
    Could use a nice inside LB in the draft to replace Farrior as Sly doesn't look much better than a Backup.

Secondary... B+ Ike needs to make the pro bowl. K Lewis looks like he is making strides. C Allen is playing which is a good sign. He looks solid when out there and has potential to be a long time starter. Gay has come on of late making great plays on the ball. Texas rookie (fogot name) is out there also and looks like he is gaining playing time.
    I would of thought this would be our area of need but with so many looking the part maybe we can get away with just looking in the 3rd round again for a stud.

I said all this to say...I LOVE THIS TEAM. Yes we are getting older but the guys play together like a family. We have the best WR core in the league. Great personalities like Troy, Keisal and Ben with some nice young players about to step up.

Those are my grades for the year... I say lets win number 7 then focus on the draft.
    I believe ILB and O-L maybe where we look. Thoughts?

Re: Grades for the year and our draft needs...

Quote Originally Posted by SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL

QB... B+ Slow start but has come on very strong last 6-7 games. Start looking for replacement in 2 years. Lefty will be back next year.
    Thoughts?
    Ben is 29 ...it would have made more sense if you said "find his career backup this year" b/c I think Ben has a good 6-8 yrs left
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe

Thoughts?
    Ben is 29 ...it would have made more sense if you said "find his career backup this year" b/c I think Ben has a good 6-8 yrs left

Yea we may can wait another 3-4 years. What I meant was that we could at least start the process of finding Ben's eventual replacement and groom him a couple of years on bench. So more accuratley that would be 3-4 years when Ben is 33 or so.

Thoughts?

Yea we may can wait another 3-4 years. What I meant was that we could at least start the process of finding Ben's eventual replacement and groom him a couple of years on bench. So more accuratley that would be 3-4 years when Ben is 33 or so.

If he continues to get pounded into the ground, whether its the OL's fault or his, we may need to start looking real soon.

Hall of Famer

It is really hard to determine draft needs before March 1st with any certainty. We don't know who the Steelers will cut, who will be resigned to extensions, etc.

For example, you said our receivers are the best in football and there is no need to add to the pool. I think that may not be the case. We will likely cut Hines Ward and Battle given our cap situation. Cotchery will be a free agent. Wallace's rookie contract will be up and we must decide if we can afford to extend him or if we will try to give him the high tender as a RFA. We will likely retain him, but it is not a sure thing. But, even if we do retain Wallace, we may only have 3 proven WRs on the roster going into the draft. I'd say that makes WR a draft need especially considering the number of 4 WR sets we like to use. Furthermore, this is the year of the big receiver in the draft. There is incredible depth at WR in this draft. WR could be an excellent value in the middle rounds. We could find another future starter.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Legend

I'd draft all defense.

Look what happened to the Pats. They got Brady all these weapons and linemen and their offense looks terrific, but their D is suffering big time and they won't compete for a title as a result.

Ben + Defense = Championships

Until Ben dies, load up on D talent.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I'd draft all defense.

Look what happened to the Pats. They got Brady all these weapons and linemen and their offense looks terrific, but their D is suffering big time and they won't compete for a title as a result.

Ben + Defense = Championships

Until Ben dies, load up on D talent.

if we don't draft an OG to take Kemo's spot Ben may die sooner than anyone thinks...

Thoughts?
    Depends on the hits. If he stays healthy, yeah, he can play into his mid 30's and play well, but not if he gets sacked 45 times and hit twice that every year. It adds up.

I think S is another position to look into. Mundy is decent but Polamalu and Clark are coming of age.

1st rnd---S
    2nd Rnd--ILB
    3rd Rnd--O-Line

Sign Starks....he's solidified the line as best he can. Keep Gilbert at RT, Pouncey in the middle, acquire a FA guard, and draft another in the first round. Doesn't have to be a Hutchinson or Faneca type signing, either. Maybe a Will Woolford type plugger that would upgrade Kemo. G is the weakness on the line.

On D, FS and DL depth can't hurt. Even if Hood, McClendon, and Heyward are the future, everyone else is old. If Sly isn't ready, we need someone to play inside next to Timmons. Farrior is on the other side of the mountain.

Finally, take a flyer on a dynamic kick returner. I live in Chicago so I see a lot of Devin Hester. He changes games. We won't find another one of him because they're once in a generation, but don't underestimate what a great special teamer can do, even if he doesn't play a regular position.