Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

  1. #1
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,132

    Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    We certainly know the coordinators, Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians.

    We know about their potential heir apparents, Keith Butler and Randy Fichtner.

    We know the long-term veteran DL coach and assistant head coach John Mitchell.

    We know about the improvements made by Sean Kugler and Carnell Lake.

    Yet, we never seem to hear anything about the guy who is coaching the position that is deepest with young talent (coaching up guys who all have round 3 pedigree or later). Many people may not even know the name of WR coach Scottie Montgomery.

    When QB coach Kenny Anderson retired after the 2009 season, WR coach Randy Fitchner was promoted to QB coach at that time, and Tomlin nabbed Duke WR coach Scottie Montgomery to replace him. Other than a non-descript 3 year NFL career in which he caught 16 passes for 160 yards and 1 TD in total, there didn't appear to be much to get excited about with this hire.

    However, consider that Wallace, Brown, and Sanders have all been developed under Montgomery's watch. Scottie wasn't here for Wallace's rookie year, but he was here for his breakout second season (60 catches 1,257 yards 21.0 YPC average 10 TD's) and Wallace is poised to improve upon those numbers in his 3rd NFL season (2nd with Montgomery). Montgomery has been Brown and Sanders' only WR coach at the NFL level, and he had them competing with one another for playing time from the very start of their rookie seasons, and by the end of the year, they were making clutch catches to clinch playoff victories. Now this year, Brown is on pace for a 70 catch 1000 yard season (remarkable for a 6th round pick in his second year), and Sanders was impressive as well before getting hurt. You'd have to think that Montgomery has played a major role in developing this "Young Money Crew" but you rarely hear anyone giving him any credit as the Young Money Coach (at 33 years of age, he is actually 2 years younger than one of his wideouts, Hines Ward). Perhaps it is time that we recognize his contributions to the team's exciting young WR corps.


  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Maybe he's the heir apparent to Tomlin.

  3. #3
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,809

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Maybe he's the heir apparent to Tomlin.
    it's possible. after all, Tomlin's coaching career began as the WR coach at Virginia Military Institute...

  4. #4

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Not to toot my own horn, but...

    Posted Sept. 1:

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think that the problem, specifically in that SB, was that the DBs (including Troy) did not play well...I'm prepared for the Steelers to take their chances with the younger players and trust that Lake can help our young players to improve as Kugler did last year with the offensive line...or what Scottie Montgomery did with the young $ WR crew...Montgomery was also a new addition to the coaching staff last year, but his performance is overlooked because of the tremendous scrutiny directed at the O-Line...

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,959

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Not to toot my own horn, but...

    Posted Sept. 1:

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think that the problem, specifically in that SB, was that the DBs (including Troy) did not play well...I'm prepared for the Steelers to take their chances with the younger players and trust that Lake can help our young players to improve as Kugler did last year with the offensive line...or what Scottie Montgomery did with the young $ WR crew...Montgomery was also a new addition to the coaching staff last year, but his performance is overlooked because of the tremendous scrutiny directed at the O-Line...
    I hate to tell you this, but you tooted your own horn


  6. #6
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,132

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Not to toot my own horn, but...

    Posted Sept. 1:

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think that the problem, specifically in that SB, was that the DBs (including Troy) did not play well...I'm prepared for the Steelers to take their chances with the younger players and trust that Lake can help our young players to improve as Kugler did last year with the offensive line...or what Scottie Montgomery did with the young $ WR crew...Montgomery was also a new addition to the coaching staff last year, but his performance is overlooked because of the tremendous scrutiny directed at the O-Line...
    I hate to tell you this, but you tooted your own horn


  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Not to toot, but......

    Quote Originally Posted by Flippy on 3/15/72
    Today is the day of the real Immaculate Conception. Today God introduced Michael Tomlin into the world who will one day be a leader of men. And he will be the youngest ever to lead these men to victory.

    I had a dream that in 4 years another boy named Scottie will be brought into this world to assist Michael in leading these men. He will have a smaller role, but will be instrumental in the development of the Young Money Crew. His accomplishment will be overlooked by many, but nonetheless they will be instrumental to the success of these men

  8. #8
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,809

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Not to toot, but......

    Quote Originally Posted by Flippy on 3/15/72
    Today is the day of the real Immaculate Conception. Today God introduced Michael Tomlin into the world who will one day be a leader of men. And he will be the youngest ever to lead these men to victory.

    I had a dream that in 4 years another boy named Scottie will be brought into this world to assist Michael in leading these men. He will have a smaller role, but will be instrumental in the development of the Young Money Crew. His accomplishment will be overlooked by many, but nonetheless they will be instrumental to the success of these men

    now that is an impressive prediction!

    from now on I will have to start referring to you as Nostradanus...

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,950

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Scottie Montgomery Song

    Scott-eee Oh Scott-eee
    Your work is not shoddy
    It's an impressive body
    of work Oh Scott-eee!

    You're a regular Ann Landers
    For Brown, Wallace, and Sanders
    Your young and not crotchety
    Still a peer to Ward and Cotchery
    I love your weekly preparation
    Teaching receivers to gain separation
    Excluding the one who is part asian
    Beam me up! Steeler Nation.

    (repeat chorus)



    There, he is now fully sung.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368

    Re: Unsung assistant coach who never gets talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Not to toot, but......

    Quote Originally Posted by Flippy on 3/15/72
    Today is the day of the real Immaculate Conception. Today God introduced Michael Tomlin into the world who will one day be a leader of men. And he will be the youngest ever to lead these men to victory.

    I had a dream that in 4 years another boy named Scottie will be brought into this world to assist Michael in leading these men. He will have a smaller role, but will be instrumental in the development of the Young Money Crew. His accomplishment will be overlooked by many, but nonetheless they will be instrumental to the success of these men

    now that is an impressive prediction!

    from now on I will have to start referring to you as Nostradanus...
    my wife usually prefers nostrdumbass, emphasis on the dumbass

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •