Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziggy Should

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ziggy Should

On the radio today they were talking about Ziggy Hood and his lack luster performance this season. Does anyone agree with that or have any comments on that ?

I have to agree and mentioned earlier this season that Ziggy doesn't play like a third year guy that was a number one pick. I doubt he will ever get to the quality that Smith was in his hay day.

I would love to see Heyward in there given the chance over Ziggy because I think Heyward is going to be a good player for us. Ziggy IMHO seemed to do better last season than this season.
    Maybe with Harrison back and Woodley back Ziggy will gain from that but to me, he's just an avergae player at that position.

Ziggy Should be making an impact at this stage or at least every so often. I just don't see him bringing much to the table.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ziggy Should

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    On the radio today they were talking about Ziggy Hood and his lack luster performance this season. Does anyone agree with that or have any comments on that ?

I have to agree and mentioned earlier this season that Ziggy doesn't play like a third year guy that was a number one pick. I doubt he will ever get to the quality that Smith was in his hay day.

I would love to see Heyward in there given the chance over Ziggy because I think Heyward is going to be a good player for us. Ziggy IMHO seemed to do better last season than this season.
    Maybe with Harrison back and Woodley back Ziggy will gain from that but to me, he's just an avergae player at that position.

Ziggy Should be making an impact at this stage or at least every so often. I just don't see him bringing much to the table.
    Aaron Smith wasn't all that in his third year and got better as he gained experience and strength. The run defense has suffered a bit, but last year's run defense was ridiculous. Were Steeler fans expecting the same dominating performance this year while injecting the defensive line with some young blood?

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig

Your expectation of him was all wrong, if you ever thought he would be anything but "just" a solid run-defense player. And for that matter, if you have high expectations of Cam Heyward (beyond what I just described for Hood), you're setting yourself up for disappointment again.

Both are just going to solid, tough guys... HOPEFULLy in the mold of Aaron Smith. Brett Keisel. Ray Seals. Gerald Wiliams. Keith Willis. These aren't 10-sack guys. They are 3-sack guys, who take on blockers, and play their assignments to a tee.

As for Hood, his insertion into the lineup has coincided with our defense looking better, more spry, more like Steeler defense. I'm happy with his performance, in that regard.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

3-4 DE do more than "take on blockers". Smith racked up some nice tackle numbers in his prime. So did Richard Seymour. If you get stood up every play and rarely get to the ball carrier, it's a problem. The good ones can shed blocks, too, and get in the backfield.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Steelers D-Linemen in the LeBeau scheme are 2-gap run defenders with the responsibility to hold the point and occupy two blockers...players in other 3-4 schemes are 1-gap defenders with the responsibility to get upfield...

Richard Seymour has never collected more than 8 sacks in a year and that only twice...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Steelers D-Linemen in the LeBeau scheme are 2-gap run defenders with the responsibility to hold the point and occupy two blockers...players in other 3-4 schemes are 1-gap defenders with the responsibility to get upfield...

Richard Seymour has never collected more than 8 sacks in a year and that only twice...
    I'm talking about tackles on running plays. Their job isn't solely to hold up two guys so the LBs are clean. Aaron Smith had years of 70+ tackles.

And how do you occupy two blockers when they're zone blocking, pulling, etc.? It's not like electric football where everyone just slams into the line every play.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Aaron Smith had one year of 70 tackles and no years of 70+ tackles...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ziggy was dominant down the stretch last season and has been below the line so far in 2011. He was getting pressure and sacks on 1st and 2nd down late last yr. Not happening this yr. Hopefully with the return of Wood, he'll step it up a bit.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel
    3-4 DE do more than "take on blockers". Smith racked up some nice tackle numbers in his prime. So did Richard Seymour. If you get stood up every play and rarely get to the ball carrier, it's a problem. The good ones can shed blocks, too, and get in the backfield.
    Of course they did. Look, I never said you can't distinguish yourself in this scheme. But you are comparing Ziggy to better football players. Seymour was a top 10 pick based on his physical ability. Aaron Smith is a much better football player and athlete than Hood.

I made comparisons to Steelers of the past. and I stand by it. Keith Willis is a pretty good comparison I think. He was a good player, but certainly no "difference-maker". I see Hood much the same, and Heyward will probably be the same kind of player (though if I had to say, he probably has more potential based a lot on his ranginess (vs. Hood's more stout physique).
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we're not to expect decent sack numbers for their position then IMO it was a mistake taking these guys in the 1st round. If we wanted run stutters. Those guy can be found later and developed. Just look at our track record with smith, keisel, kimo (run of the mill free agent)