Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy Polamalu missed opportunity?

Troy Polamalu missed opportunity?

On that first touchdown by Bengals. Looked like Troy could have easily put his hands up
    on that ball coming in. He looked up saw the ball come but, looked like he gave-up on the play? He could have dove with his hands up and got a piece of that ball? I watched it several times. He was close enough....

Sword

Re: Troy Polamalu missed opportunity?

It was a horrible play by Troy P. He did absolutely nothing on the play. The safety is supposed to play the ball in that situation and Troy did nothing. The only thing I can guess is that he saw Clark coming over and he didn't want to bump into him. It was a poor play by Troy.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Clark was coming in fast across the WR so Troy probably wanted to keep out of the way and let Clark make the play... else they both run into each other, the WR makes the catch, and they end up on Sportcenter's not top 10

Looked to me like a fluke

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    Clark was coming in fast across the WR so Troy probably wanted to keep out of the way and let Clark make the play... else they both run into each other, the WR makes the catch, and they end up on Sportcenter's not top 10

Looked to me like a fluke
    i agree. having said that I don't think it's a big secret that coverage is not the strongest part of troy's game.

Pro Bowler

It was so weird that I just think he either misread what was happening or didn't know the ball was in the air. All he had to do is wave high and he would have prevented it. Too weird to just be a bad play.

Hall of Famer

Even if he felt he needed to let Clark try to make a play on the ball, he needed to put himself in position to jar Green's arms after he caught the ball. It was a bad play, but otherwise Troy had a stellar game.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

It was just like 2 outfielders in baseball who meet at the ball and stop, trying to avoid a collision and the ball just falls between them. It seemed clear to me that Troy stopped playing the ball because he felt Clark coming in for his smash up derby style punishment.

I was just saying this to some friends. Troy is an amazing player and athlete. But we need someone in the deep secondary to compliment him. Someone who can make plays on the BALL. The league has outlawed separating the ball from receivers who have already made a catch. So, Ryan Clark no longer has any value – that was his one and only strength. Time to stick someone else back there. I think we’d be better off with McFadden back there.

I'm glad a thread was started about this. I was disgusted by what I saw and thought it was the worst attempt at playing the ball that I had ever seen.

It looked to me like Troy stumbled slightly just before the ball arrived, then put out his hands to make sure he didn't contact the receiver. In doing so, it looked like he lost track of the ball. I'm not sure Clark coming over had much to do with it...at least I hope not. You don't eschew an opportunity to make a play because you think someone else might be in a better position to do so...make the play!

If anyone sees an explanation for this, please post the comments. Thanks.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Pro Bowler

I don't think this explains anything (in fact it raises additional questions), but here's what he had to say:

"He made a nice play on the ball," said Polamalu of the 6-4 Green. "I saw the ball the whole way and thought I could make a play on it, but I didn't."

Pro Bowler

"I saw the ball the whole way and thought I could make a play on it, but I didn't."
    O, thanks for clearing that up for us Troy