Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with our 4th quarter defense?

Re: What's wrong with our 4th quarter defense?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Three-quarters good

November 11, 2011
    By Scott Kacsmar

The Cold, Hard Football Facts

Add it all up and some of the results are stunning.

Since 2007, the Steelers ( are tied with the Bills for the most games allowing the winning points in the last 2:00 of the fourth quarter. Seven of the drives ended in the last 0:37.

Since 2009, the Steelers have allowed 4 game-winning touchdowns in the last 0:32 of the fourth quarter.

From 1990-2008, the Steelers had allowed 2 game-winning touchdowns in the last 1:00 of the fourth quarter (both vs. Bengals)

Postseason Facts:

The 2nd largest fourth quarter lead lost in a Super Bowl belongs to D!ck LeBeauís 2008 Steelers (13 points vs. Cardinals)

After getting a rare takeaway this season against the Colts, the Steelers promptly let Curtis Painter engineer an 80-yard touchdown drive to tie the game. Roethlisberger had to lead a game-winning field goal drive. After tying Houston, the Texans immediately went on an 85-yard game-winning touchdown drive.

Though they did their job well enough against the Jaguars and Patriots, the big blow came when Baltimore embarked on the greatest drive in Ravensí history: 2:24 left and 92 yards to go. The Steelers had no answers, no pass rush, and played a baffling style of defense once Baltimore got close enough to take shots in the end zone. It was almost as if the Steelers werenít aware the Ravens had no choice but to score a touchdown. Itís inexcusable for the defense not to have tighter coverage with safety help in that situation.

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articl ... mpany.html
    Not sure who's fall this was... DL for call a defense that had the safety (Clark) out of position, or Clark's for not playing deep enough.

But that was ridiculous!

Pro Bowler

45 minute men is NOT the way to win championships.

Kovacevic: This finish won't bug Steelers

By Dejan Kovacevic, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, November 14, 2011

CINCINNATI ó Think of the Steelers as your shoe raised in the air, ready to squash one of those annoying stink bugs. You want to squash it. You know you can squash it. But the foot never comes down.

In the case of the insect, there's an obvious reason for that: Its demise will smell up the whole house.

In the case of the Steelers, it's safe to say their many shows of mercy this season have been just as malodorous but much harder to explain.

Remember running up 17 points on the first three drives against Jacksonville, only to hang on, 17-13?

Or allowing an equally awful Arizona team to pull within a field goal in the third quarter?

Or Tom Brady's touchdown pass with 2:35 left to get New England within six?

Or Joe Flacco finding guts even he didn't know he had to drive 92 yards?

At some stage of legitimate contention, a team has to slam the door. It has to show some semblance of a killer instinct.

And that's exactly what the Steelers showed Sunday in shutting down Cincinnati, 24-17, at Paul Brown Stadium: Some semblance of it. They whizzed toward unanswered touchdowns on the first two drives, allowed the Bengals to tie the game by the third quarter, then bent, bent, bent ... before ultimately getting it done.

Hey, any finish is a start with this group.

"It feels good," safety Troy Polamalu said. "Feels great, actually. It's nice to get over that hump, especially after last week."

That's when Flacco went the length of the field to lift Baltimore, 23-20. The Steelers had a chance to hold their lead on offense but bumbled their way to a punt. They had a chance on defense, too, but gave up Flacco's 26-yard touchdown pass to Torrey Smith over cornerback William Gay.

Sunday had a similar feel.

These were the two possessions right after the Steelers took that 14-0 lead: First, Polamalu and Ryan Clark inexplicably flanked Cincinnati receiver A.J. Green like the guards at Buckingham Palace, while Green leaped for a 36-yard touchdown catch. Then, Steelers tight end Heath Miller tipped a Ben Roethlisberger pass upward into the hands of Bengals cornerback Leon Hall.

And yet the Steelers later took a 24-17 lead and finally planted a flag in one of those things.

With the Bengals crossing midfield early in the fourth quarter, Gay swatted away an Andy Dalton pass into the hands of linebacker Lawrence Timmons for a ... um ... hang on, I have to look this up.

Oh, right. An INTERCEPTION.

Small wonder defensive end Brett Keisel danced off the field.

"It just felt good to get one, man," Keisel said, grinning through the beard. "It's been crazy how those just haven't come our way."

There would be another, doubling the team's season total to four. The Bengals bullied down to the Steelers' 25 with less than three minutes left, but Gay boldly darted in front of receiver Jerome Simpson for a sweetly timed interception that brought big-time redemption.

"Nothing special, just regular coverage," Gay said. "This was a total team effort."

Only if the offense would do its part this time, and it did: Big tight end Weslye Saunders caught an 11-yard pass for one first down, and Mike Wallace caught a 7-yarder for another.

"Victory formation," Saunders said with a broad smile. "It's always great not to put the defense back on the field. You've got to finish the game the right way."

"Man, that's what we've been looking for all year as a team," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "We haven't been finishing anything. I mean, you can talk about it all you want, but we went out and did it."

The rest of the locker room seemed as delighted about that as the 7-3 record the Steelers carry into the bye week, right back to being tied for best in the AFC. But, as Roethlisberger and others rightly acknowledged, the Steelers didn't play a great game here. Nor did they face a great opponent. Yeah, I know the Bengals are 6-3, but this was just the beginning of the varsity portion of their schedule.

The Steelers were simply the better team, and they followed through on it.

It's what they should have been doing all season, but maybe all that's fumigated now.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1dhexwk3f

When you don't get off the field early, you get gassed later on. Against the Ravens, they spent so much time on the field in the first quarter that it wasn't surprising that they struggled late.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

I agree with some people saying it is partially on the offense. The question is what is wrong with our offense? Once we get a small lead (which a 2TD in this league is a small lead) we go to a run first, throw deep offense.

The only games we have run the offense appropriate for our talents on offense were the first half and part of the second half vs. New England, and the second half vs. Baltimore.

Also, Mendenhall flat out sucks and was a poor first round pick in my opinion. I hope they aren't stupid enough to EVER draft a RB in the first round again.
    @_Hellgrammite

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I agree with some people saying it is partially on the offense. The question is what is wrong with our offense? Once we get a small lead (which a 2TD in this league is a small lead) we go to a run first, throw deep offense.

The only games we have run the offense appropriate for our talents on offense were the first half and part of the second half vs. New England, and the second half vs. Baltimore.

Also, Mendenhall flat out sucks and was a poor first round pick in my opinion. I hope they aren't stupid enough to EVER draft a RB in the first round again.
    Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis were 1st round picks (Bettis by the Rams, but still). Would you not want Franco and the Bus? Mendenhall may not be those guys, but he is certainly better than guys like Tim Worley, Walter Abercrombie, and Greg Hawthorne.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis were 1st round picks (Bettis by the Rams, but still). Would you not want Franco and the Bus? Mendenhall may not be those guys, but he is certainly better than guys like Tim Worley, Walter Abercrombie, and Greg Hawthorne.
    You forgot to add in Rich Erenberg and Earnest Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk

That's because they were drafted late (in rounds that no longer exist in the current draft format). I was referencing 1st round running backs.

That's because they were drafted late (in rounds that no longer exist in the current draft format). I was referencing 1st round running backs.
    Yes, I know.

Damm, Hawthorne was drafted first?

Yes, I know.

Damm, Hawthorne was drafted first?
    Yeah, 28th overall in 1979. We did better in the 6th round of that draft, getting Dwayne Woodruff and Matt Bahr. Our 5th round pick that year, Dwaine Board, also had a solid NFL career (albeit with the Niners).