Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Penn State trustees fire Joe Paterno

Legend

User Info Menu

OT: Penn State trustees fire Joe Paterno

PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier

By GENARO C. ARMAS, Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)—Penn State trustees fired football coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier amid the growing furor over how the school handled sex abuse allegations against an assistant coach.

The massive shakeup Wednesday night came hours after Paterno announced that he planned to retire at the end of his 46th season.

Joe Paterno has coached Penn State for 64 seasons.

But the outcry following the arrest of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky on molestation charges proved too much for the board to ignore.

One key question has been why Paterno and other top school officials didn’t go to police in 2002 after being told a graduate assistant saw Sandusky assaulting a boy in a school shower.

Paterno says he should have done more. Spanier has said he was not told the details of the attack.

Sandusky has denied the charges.

Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley will serve as interim coach while Rodney Erickson will serve as interim school president.

Earlier in the day, Paterno said in a statement he was “absolutely devastated” by the case, in which Sandusky, his onetime heir apparent was charged with molesting eight boys in 15 years, with some of the alleged abuse taking place at the Penn State football complex.

“This is a tragedy,” Paterno said. “It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.”

John Surma, the vice chair of the board of trustees said, “these decisions were made after careful deliberations and in the best interests of the university as a whole.”

“The past several days have been absolutely terrible for the entire Penn State community. But the outrage that we feel is nothing compared to the physical and psychological suffering that allegedly took place,” he added.

Sue Paterno opened the door of the Paterno home briefly when a reporter knocked, then closed it and turned off the light.

[url="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pennstate-abuse"]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... tate-abuse[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: OT: Penn State trustees fire Joe Paterno

If you want to be sickened beyond belief you should read the grand jury testimony about the whole scandal. Grown men were too worried about protecting PSU rather than Sandusky's victims. The behavior of the adults that had these incidents reported to them is as vile and abhorrent as the acts themselves.

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-11-07/penn-state-attorney-general-pdf/51112998/1]Grand Jury Testimony[/url]

This will make you sick.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In a nutshell JoePa was part of a conspiracy to cover up the despicable actions of a serial pedophile. He had to go.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sick, I didn't read the Grand Jury link but I heard about the details of the shower incident and I can't understand how a grown man walks away after seeing that happen.

It's a horrible way for Joe to go out.

A little off topic but it sure seems like the easiest way to get a guy to step down is a sexual scandal.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Paul Pozluszny said that Sandusky hung out with PSU football players for many years after that 2002 shower incident. Apparently the coaching staff and university were perfectly fine with a well-known pedophile still associating himself with the program.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[youtube:38m7n29l]C4I84Gy[/youtube:38m7n29l]

very disappointed that I'm associated with this

Legend

User Info Menu

People should boycott this weekend's game.

If people show up, it will show they prefer football over morality. I can't believe there's still a fan base out there who's supportive of Paterno.

Penn State should be eliminated from the NCAA indefinitely.

If USC gets banned from bowls, on probation, loses scholarships, etc because Reggie Bush got paid, Penn State's football program should be ended permenantly given what was allowed to happen.

Not only should they end football at Penn State, they should take away all state and federal funding to the school.

I think there's more to this. I suspect the men who looked the other way and allowed Sandusky to do what he did may have also been involved in similar activities with young boys. Why else would they condone this activity unless they too were guilty and participating in some way?

F Penn State. I will never root for them again.

I think the Steelers should send a message by cutting Kapinos.

Maybe Roger Goodell could fine all former Penn State players. Clearly many of them had to have known about this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I suspect the men who looked the other way and allowed Sandusky to do what he did may have also been involved in similar activities with young boys.
    I think you suggesting that the Penn State University President, Athletic Director, Head Football Coach, and WR Coach are also pedophiles is going off the deep end, flip.

Personally, I don't understand how any person who witnesses a grown man sexually assaulting a young boy in a shower could run away and call his father, when the natural response should be to beat the old man mercilessly and free the child, but you can't just say that multiple Penn State officials "may have also been involved in similar activities with young boys"...there is absolutely zero evidence regarding anything of that nature from anyone except for that piece of subhuman scum Sandusky, so suggesting such things is slanderous at the very least.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    [youtube:10jlg0zh]C4I84Gy[/youtube:10jlg0zh]

very disappointed that I'm associated with this
    You're not associated with this at all; you simply went to school there, I assume or you're employed and making a living for your family. Either way you have no involvement.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    People should boycott this weekend's game.

If people show up, it will show they prefer football over morality. I can't believe there's still a fan base out there who's supportive of Paterno.

Penn State should be eliminated from the NCAA indefinitely.

If USC gets banned from bowls, on probation, loses scholarships, etc because Reggie Bush got paid, Penn State's football program should be ended permenantly given what was allowed to happen.

Not only should they end football at Penn State, they should take away all state and federal funding to the school.

I think there's more to this. I suspect the men who looked the other way and allowed Sandusky to do what he did may have also been involved in similar activities with young boys. Why else would they condone this activity unless they too were guilty and participating in some way?

F Penn State. I will never root for them again.

I think the Steelers should send a message by cutting Kapinos.

Maybe Roger Goodell could fine all former Penn State players. Clearly many of them had to have known about this.
    Something kept this scandal under wraps for many years after the first reported incident in the shower (I'm sure there are more prior to that incident) and my guess is money. How else do you keep something this explosive from seeing the light of day? Particularly, knowing how many victims and their families, high ranking officials, locals (a local high school banned Sandusky from campus) and entry level employees (graduate assistant, janitor, etc) knew of the events.

There's only one way that I can think of and the Feds will be turning over rocks that Penn State wishes wouldn't be turned over. I can't imagine how this plays out without Spanier, Curley, Shultz and Paterno being implicated in a vast cover up.

Papillon

7.178 -
    7.195 -