Thread: Tony Dungy Questions LeBeau's Play Calling...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tony Dungy Questions LeBeau's Play Calling...

"But the one thing I have to say, Dick LeBeau is a tremendous defensive coach, but I did not understand those last three plays from about the 25-yard line. Bump-and-run coverage, really giving them a chance, as Flacco said, to take those shots into the end zone where you get a chance for a long pass interference penalty or the deep touchdown. I didn't understand the defense the Steelers were in there, at the end."

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11312/1188283-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11312/1188283-66.stm[/url]
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Tony Dungy Questions LeBeau's Play Calling...

all i know is they needed a TD. why would you let them get behind you in the end zone?????
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    all i know is they needed a TD. why would you let them get behind you in the end zone?????
    I agree it should never happen, however if you are running man on the corners with a single deep cover one shell then you may run into the problem of having that safety come over late. I believe Clark was hesitant due to Bolden running that inside slant.

I am of the game plan that in that situation, you dont run that coverage. Got to be some variation of a two deep cover zone.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Leave Ike on an ISLAND and play Clark over top Gay!!
    Let Troy roam as a "robber" for the underneath stuff.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well...I do agree given what was needed to win the game. I also would put some on Tomlin too. I would have been in Cover 3 with Troy playing center field and Mundy & Clark playing the hashes. Taylor, Gay, Lewis, & Allen on the field in coverage. I would have had them man-up. Rushing Hood, Keisel, Heyward, & Harrison with an outside spy on Rice. The Top was sealed and he should have had the safeties splitting the enzone to make a play in front of them. What makes it even more sickening to me...IS the Steelers had a timeout with a stopped clock on 3rd & 10. They just drove the length of the field on you. Two straight incompletions...Only time for two plays. Give your defense a chance to get their wind back and get the right defense called for the next two plays and fresh bodies. That probably pi$$es me off the most...Hit the GD stop button here and regroup. The clock was stopped and the Ravens still had a TO to burn. Calling a TO only helps you under those conditions. The Ravens were not under duress because of time at that point....26 yard line is striking distance and giving up underneath makes them burn the TO.

Sometimes...Trying to look cool makes you look like a fool. Lesson learned Tomlin...I hope.

Legend

User Info Menu

If there is one thing we have learned with Tomlin as coach, his management at the two minutes is not all that great. Take the time out, have the defense settle down and at least make sure everyone understands the situation.
    Tomlin has demonstrated time and again, he is very weak in this area of coaching. And passing it off as "my bad...on me" doesn't cut it on repeated offenses.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    If there is one thing we have learned with Tomlin as coach, his management at the two minutes is not all that great. Take the time out, have the defense settle down and at least make sure everyone understands the situation.
    Tomlin has demonstrated time and again, he is very weak in this area of coaching. And passing it off as "my bad...on me" doesn't cut it on repeated offenses.
    $$$$