[quote=StarSpangledSteeler]
Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":b0fixxpz
Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Second, he also says that Mark Barron the safety of Alabama is the most complete safety in this draft and can hold up in two-high coverage and is a playmaker both versus the run and pass.

McShay currently has these two rated 18 and 19 respectively. Both should be in range of the Steelers being able to move up.

My personal opinion is that because DeCastro can play immediately and at a high level he would be my pick. We are talking about another Alan Faneca type possibly.
I agree with you on DeCastro, but for the record, Todd McShay typically wayyyyy overvalues OL (especially tackles). Most teams go for impact players in round one. I doubt more than one OG goes in the first round.

And word is, Barron is probably gonna run slow at the combine. Not sure how much that will effect his stock.

Well then forget what McShay says...I have seen Stanford quite a bit this season and I can tell you DeCastro is the real deal. He grades out very favorably to Alan Faneca. And we all know how that worked out from day one.
As of right now, I agree with you on DeCastro. If he is available when we pick it's a o brainer. I don't think I would trade up though, simply because we need a safety AND a nose tackle AND an ILB. Kind of like last year when we could've traded up to draft to draft Pouncey but it would've costed us Heyward, Gilbert, and Allen, in a year when we needed contributions from all three.[/quote:b0fixxpz]

There's a trade off in doing that though. Not one of those players you mention (Heyward, Gilbert, and Allen), are immediate "impact" players. Contributors? Yes. But not impact. DeCastro and maybe to some degree Mike Pouncey last year, are impact players.

Do you regret moving up to get Troy Polamalu? Do you miss the players you could have gotten had you not traded up to get him?

I think what you would have with DeCastro lined up next to Maurkice Pouncey for the next 10 plus years would negate anything that you may lose by trading up to get DeCastro.

But let it be known, I am only ok in trading up at a reasonable trade up. Maybe 5-10 spots. Not 15-20.