Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 2012 Mock Draft and Projected 53-Man Roster

Legend

Re: Steelers 2012 Mock Draft and Projected 53-Man Roster

I could see us going for the top rated safety in Round 1 or 2. Need to move in that direction sooner rather than later. IMO Clark's play has declined this season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

FS is becoming a far more important position in today's pass first league. You have to be able to run in order to do the things demanded of safeties in coverage. Clark lays hits that draw personal foul flags for the same reason offensive linemen hold and corners grab hold and draw pass interference calls - because he's being beaten and is out of position. He simply can't get where he needs to be... beginning to remind me of the bad old days of Burnt Alexander back there.

We can find serviceable players at OG deeper in the draft, but speed is a valuable commodity that disappears quickly... Troy's speed has redefined the SS position in the NFL, and I think the defense would be unbelieveable if we were to go out and get a FS who can really run to pair with him. Speed, though will require an investment, and I think pick 32 of the first round needs to be spent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I could see us going for the top rated safety in Round 1 or 2. Need to move in that direction sooner rather than later. IMO Clark's play has declined this season.
    I agree but for a different reason. I think Clark is playing out of position. He's a much better strong safety IMO. A lot of teams are going with two pass catching TE's (Baltimore, Patriots, sometimes Packers). LeBeau has countered by dropping two safeties back (Clark and Mundy) and bringing Polamalu down into coverage. We actually need a "Mundy" upgrade more than a Clark upgrade. How many times do you see Brady, Flacco, and Rodgers throw to their TE's even when they're covered?... That's because nobody makes them pay. A ball hawking free safety (like Ed Reed used to be) is the best prevention.

Having said that, left guard is still our biggest need. Not that it warrants a 1st round pick but we MUST drat an immediate starter-type upgrade this year.

Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Second, he also says that Mark Barron the safety of Alabama is the most complete safety in this draft and can hold up in two-high coverage and is a playmaker both versus the run and pass.

McShay currently has these two rated 18 and 19 respectively. Both should be in range of the Steelers being able to move up.

My personal opinion is that because DeCastro can play immediately and at a high level he would be my pick. We are talking about another Alan Faneca type possibly.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

I would love to grab a high draft top quality guard, but I a can actually admit it now, I am pretty contempt with Ramon in the line up now. I thought the OL is coming along well with it's cohesiveness play of the OL.

The biggest needs on this team IMHO going in the draft next year,

1) Safety to take Mundy's spot and groom for the future.
    2) RB Mendy is a great RB, but I can see the Steelers letting him go too much money is going to tied up on the "O" especially signing Wallace.
    3) ILB/OLB ...this might be post-pond a bit by the great play of foote, Harrison, and yes will still say Farrior, but Sly and Worilds just havent shown enough flash that they are going to be next standard of steeler LB.
    4) TE i would love to have a te group like NE does...imagine wallace's and brown's speed with another te who can make plays along with heath....dj is a slug!
    5) think it is time to draft back up qb too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Two things, Todd McShay of ESPN is saying that OG David DeCastro is the most complete guard in this draft. No weaknesses. If guard were valued as high as tackle in the NFL then he would be rated higher than his teammate Jonathan Martin. McShay, like myself, believe that DeCastro can come in on day one and dominate for years.

Second, he also says that Mark Barron the safety of Alabama is the most complete safety in this draft and can hold up in two-high coverage and is a playmaker both versus the run and pass.

McShay currently has these two rated 18 and 19 respectively. Both should be in range of the Steelers being able to move up.

My personal opinion is that because DeCastro can play immediately and at a high level he would be my pick. We are talking about another Alan Faneca type possibly.
    I agree with you on DeCastro, but for the record, Todd McShay typically wayyyyy overvalues OL (especially tackles). Most teams go for impact players in round one. I doubt more than one OG goes in the first round.

And word is, Barron is probably gonna run slow at the combine. Not sure how much that will effect his stock.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    I would love to grab a high draft top quality guard, but I a can actually admit it now, I am pretty contempt with Ramon in the line up now. I thought the OL is coming along well with it's cohesiveness play of the OL.

2) RB Mendy is a great RB, but I can see the Steelers letting him go too much money is going to tied up on the "O" especially signing Wallace.
    3) ILB/OLB ...this might be post-pond a bit by the great play of foote, Harrison, and yes will still say Farrior, but Sly and Worilds just havent shown enough flash that they are going to be next standard of steeler LB.
    4) TE i would love to have a te group like NE does...imagine wallace's and brown's speed with another te who can make plays along with heath....dj is a slug!
    The idea of getting a OG is to replace Kemoeutu who is clearly the weak link on the Steelers O-line. And I am always a firm believer in getting the best overall value where you are drafting. If I compare DeCastro or Cordy Glenn to the top safeties in this draft, there is no comparison. Those two guards are clearly greater value.

ESPN's Scouts Inc. had the following about DeCastro...

DeCastro isn't quite long or agile enough to slide outside to tackle, but he's the most dominant interior lineman in the nation right now. He has the skill set and mental tenacity to be a starter from day one in the NFL. DeCastro is a relentless run-blocker whose power and mean streak make him a perfect fit for Stanford's scheme. In terms of pass protection, his initial quickness and lateral mobility are above average for an interior offensive lineman, and all that makes him a solid first-round prospect.

If he is anywhere near where the Steelers draft it would be a shame to not get him. Next to Pouncey for the 10 plus years will help control the interior line...especially against the likes of Hiloti Ngata.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub

I agree with you on DeCastro, but for the record, Todd McShay typically wayyyyy overvalues OL (especially tackles). Most teams go for impact players in round one. I doubt more than one OG goes in the first round.

And word is, Barron is probably gonna run slow at the combine. Not sure how much that will effect his stock.

Well then forget what McShay says...I have seen Stanford quite a bit this season and I can tell you DeCastro is the real deal. He grades out very favorably to Alan Faneca. And we all know how that worked out from day one.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george

Contempt vs. Content? Freudian slip? I still feel contempt toward Foster. He's slow footed and doesn't fight through the whistle. Kemo is a huge liability in pass protection. Our center and tackles have played so well lately it is masking our problems at both guard spots. OG is clearly clearly CLEARLY our biggest need. That's not saying the value will be there in the first round. It's saying that particular position is our biggest need for an upgrade. Kemo will be a cap casualty this spring. We could really use an early round talent to start at LG in 2012.

The safety class is showing a lot of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year. And, yes, we do need a Mundy upgrade.

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":5wdv6tws

Well then forget what McShay says...I have seen Stanford quite a bit this season and I can tell you DeCastro is the real deal. He grades out very favorably to Alan Faneca. And we all know how that worked out from day one.[/quote:5wdv6tws]

As of right now, I agree with you on DeCastro. If he is available when we pick it's a o brainer. I don't think I would trade up though, simply because we need a safety AND a nose tackle AND an ILB. Kind of like last year when we could've traded up to draft to draft Pouncey but it would've costed us Heyward, Gilbert, and Allen, in a year when we needed contributions from all three.