Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "Lebeau" cushion??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: The "Lebeau" cushion??

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    I'll attach the link to the article for reference...

One thing really stood out in the Lake article. It states
    Gay wanted to be up on the line, handling receivers physically. The Steelers' previous defensive backs coach, Ray Horton, now the defensive coordinator in Arizona, wanted Gay to stay back, as with all his corners. Lake cut him loose.
    What, wait... What? I'm confused. What happened to the Lebeau 10 yard cushion? This quote makes it sound like it's the DB coach that is deciding what techniques the CB plays???

Can this be? Can the hate for the Lebeau cushion really be the Horton cushion??

Or is this just a throw away quote that the writer was just trying to make Lake look a little better by making it sound like it was his decision?

What say you fine folks?
    If you really want to know the truth Chavezz, it should actually be called the "Ryan Clark Cushion". If you dont have a free safety who can cover and your game plan is to stop Ray Rice running the ball, you are then going use your premier strong safety at or near the box/LOS which now forces you to play off of your receiver at the corner. They have to.

There is a reason why LeBeau is forced to continue to run this same scheme over and over and over.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    If it was the Lebeau cushion why didn't he use it with Woodson and Lake in the early 90s when he was the DB coach?
    Cha-ching! It's personnel not scheme.

Troy Polamalu and how he is used leaves Ryan Clark deep. Think about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    I'll attach the link to the article for reference...

One thing really stood out in the Lake article. It states
    Gay wanted to be up on the line, handling receivers physically. The Steelers' previous defensive backs coach, Ray Horton, now the defensive coordinator in Arizona, wanted Gay to stay back, as with all his corners. Lake cut him loose.
    What, wait... What? I'm confused. What happened to the Lebeau 10 yard cushion? This quote makes it sound like it's the DB coach that is deciding what techniques the CB plays???

Can this be? Can the hate for the Lebeau cushion really be the Horton cushion??

Or is this just a throw away quote that the writer was just trying to make Lake look a little better by making it sound like it was his decision?

What say you fine folks?
    If you really want to know the truth Chavezz, it should actually be called the "Ryan Clark Cushion". If you dont have a free safety who can cover and your game plan is to stop Ray Rice running the ball, you are then going use your premier strong safety at or near the box/LOS which now forces you to play off of your receiver at the corner. They have to.

There is a reason why LeBeau is forced to continue to run this same scheme over and over and over.
    I seem to recall us running the same defense with Chris Hope as the FS ... just sayin'
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

If it was the Lebeau cushion why didn't he use it with Woodson and Lake in the early 90s when he was the DB coach?

One thing that makes you go hmmmmm.....

Ryan Clark plays "deep". Ryan Clark plays FS....

Ryan Clark is leading the team in tackles. What is our FS doing leading the team in tackles? Why is he having to come up and make all of those tackles? That's a problem if you ask me.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1

Ryan Clark is leading the team in tackles. What is our FS doing leading the team in tackles? Why is he having to come up and make all of those tackles? That's a problem if you ask me.

When you give up a lot of receptions in your zone there are going to be a lot of tackle opportunities.

Legend

User Info Menu

When you give up a lot of receptions in your zone there are going to be a lot of tackle opportunities.
    True dat

Administrator

User Info Menu

That and I see him in on a lot of run plays.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1

That has to make you wonder. I've been saying for a while that Clark is a good player for our system. He is great at cleaning up the mess that the front 7 sometimes leaves. Is he a great cover guy? No, but he is the reason teams don't break off long runs against us very often.

While you can criticize his coverage ability you have to give him credit for his other attributes. Anyone know why Boldin dropped that pass over the middle late in the game? Could it be he was thinking of Clark flying at him? Just some food for thought.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

That has to make you wonder. I've been saying for a while that Clark is a good player for our system. He is great at cleaning up the mess that the front 7 sometimes leaves. Is he a great cover guy? No, but he is the reason teams don't break off long runs against us very often.

While you can criticize his coverage ability you have to give him credit for his other attributes. Anyone know why Boldin dropped that pass over the middle late in the game? Could it be he was thinking of Clark flying at him? Just some food for thought.
    I agree with you ike about his contributions versus the run but keep in mind how often Troy Polamalu is used at or near the box or LOS. It's quite a bit during the course of a game. That leaves Clark deep with a ton of real state to be responsible for. If the Steelers ran a ton of cover two, Clark's flaws could be masked some. But this team doesnt.