Thread: How to Play Marcia and the *'s

Legend

User Info Menu

How to Play Marcia and the *'s

It’s Time for Another Carving... by Still Mill
    Saturday, Oct 29, 2011

It’s Time for Another Carving...

It’s Halloween time, and time for some carving. Pumpkin carving, you ask? Sure, if you’d like. But I’m referring to the carving that Tom Brady’s Patriots -- and any competence passing offense, for that matter -- that will be administered to Dick LeBeau, once again.

You may remember last year’s carving at the hands of the Pats. So, too, you might remember similar carvings by the Saints and Packers, the latter resulting in a grisly Super Bowl defeat.

Now Dick -- The Supreme Lord and Deity of Defensive Football, you know -- brings his vaunted “#1 defense” to bear against the Pats. Of course, Dick’s “#1 ranking” is based entirely on the piles of **** he’s had the luxury of defending against....from Tarvarius Jackson and Curtis Painter (QB rating of 38 last week), to Blaine Gabbert, Matt Hasseljack, and Kevin Kolb.

Dick got schooled and toyed with in embarrassing fashion in last year’s matchup. For one, he played 9 on 11, insisting on using a fat, short, pudgy, run stuffing NT and a slow-as-molasses ILB. With Hampton and Farrior on the field, you’re playing 9 on 11 and hopelessly outmatched. Not satisfied, Dick went a step further, foolishly trying William Gay on TE Rob Gronkowski. Gay at times has some decent moments covering wide receivers, but he has nowhere near the physicality, strength, size, or technique to match up against an athletic big man like Gronko. So, thanks to the esteemed supreme brilliance of Dick LeBeau, the Stillers were often playing 8 on 11, and they got ***-***** in the process. It was so bad, that Brady could have literally held a Subway sandwich in his left hand -- munching on it while scanning the field in the comfy of his pocket -- and still carved Dick’s defense apart.

Because LeBeau has consistently shown such a dull, stubborn, Cro-Magnon approach to Brady and the Pats, the Stillers have virtually no chance of winning this game.

The way to limit Brady is with pressure up the MIDDLE, with hands up to bat short passes and with rushers popping Brady in the mouth on occasion to rattle him and take him out of his comfort zone. The Jets did this in last year’s playoffs, and the NYG did this to perfection in their Super Bowl win over the 18-and-failure Patsies.

You’ve got to take some chances against Brady. Dick has steadfastly refused to do this, instead opting for a chicken****, “play it safe” scheme, which gives Brady ample room, eons of time, and plenty of rhythm to play pitch n’ catch. The problem with “play it safe” schemes, in any sport, is that the scoreboard operator doesn’t care how points are scored. A valid point, goal, or run is chalked up onto the scoreboard. Playing it safe in basketball means to collapse under the hoop, only to allow easy, wide-open 3-pointers. Playing it safe in baseball might mean walking 6 batters in an inning and allowing 3 or 4 easy runs without allowing a single hit. Playing it safe in football means allowing Brady all the time and room he wants in the pocket, and then playing pitch and catch with WIDE open receivers for 8, 12, 15, and 20 yards at a crack.

The Stillers only chance to win this game will be to execute the following:

- Farrior is injured and may not play. This is obviously a blessing in disguise. You saw him get abused last week on the 73-yard catch and run TD by Howling, and he’s been tooled by so many RBs and TEs the past 3 seasons that, if those players were assembled in 1 place, you would need a large gymnasium to accommodate the gathering. Of course, Larry Foote is completely worthless as a coverage ‘backer.

What Dick needs to do here, is move Timmons back to an ILB spot. Timmy has done nothing as an edge rusher and he’s not able to provide holistic coverage from OLB as he would from ILB. Because of the Pats passing game, Dick need to go with the nickel package at least half the time, meaning Foote would sit and an extra DB would enter the game. Timmons at ILB enables Dick to have half a chance against the 2 talented TEs. Pola might cover 1 of the TEs at times, but he’s better in a free-lance role. Ryan Clark can’t come close to covering either of these TEs. Obviosuly, neither can Gay, and Mundy has little chance. Timmons and his athleticism & strength must be used on 1 of these TEs.

- With Timmons moving to ILB, use Sylvester at OLB. The guy hits and he’s tough. He’s no rookie, and he should be entrusted to rush the QB from the blind side. At this point, he can’t do any less in pass pressure from the ROLB spot than what Timmy is doing.

- At NT, Hampton need not play. All the grande’ babble about “he pushes the pocket” is pure, unadulterated bull****. On perhaps 1% of all pass plays he has ever played, Hampton has gotten a small push. That’s it. It’s not enough against Brady. Hoke would be the ideal NT, but if he can’t go, use McClendon. However, the NT needs only play sparingly. To beat Brady, the Stillers tall, rangy, athletic rushers on the DL, to include Keisel, Hood, and Heyward. At times, they will need only 2 DL on the field. Again, the goal of these men should be to knife when they can to provide middle disruption, and to bat or deflect passes when they can.

- Consider trying Keenan Lewis on either Gronko or Hernadez. Will Allen deserves a shot, too, with his decent size.

- The DBs have got to play some in-your-face man coverage on the Patsie receivers. This sitting back 13 yards off the LOS allows Brady to play pitch and catch. Jamming WRs causes a disruption in the timing routes that Brady loves to throw.

- Blitzes have obviously got to be used. Mamby-pamby 3 and 4 man rushes -- aginst FIVE offensive linemen -- are not going to harass nor hurry Brady, and that’s not going to get him popped in the mouth and get rattled.

The solution is there, but expect yet another pumpkin carving at Heinz Field, as the Pats toy with and embarrass Dick “the Bumpkin Pumpkin” LeBeau and his vaunted “#1 defense”

[url="http://www.stillers.com/articles/2686.aspx"]http://www.stillers.com/articles/2686.aspx[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: How to Play Marcia and the *'s

this is by far the best way to play against Tom Lady...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    It’s Time for Another Carving... by Still Mill
    Saturday, Oct 29, 2011

It’s Time for Another Carving...

It’s Halloween time, and time for some carving. Pumpkin carving, you ask? Sure, if you’d like. But I’m referring to the carving that Tom Brady’s Patriots -- and any competence passing offense, for that matter -- that will be administered to bad word LeBeau, once again.

You may remember last year’s carving at the hands of the Pats. So, too, you might remember similar carvings by the Saints and Packers, the latter resulting in a grisly Super Bowl defeat.

Now bad word -- The Supreme Lord and Deity of Defensive Football, you know -- brings his vaunted “#1 defense” to bear against the Pats. Of course, bad word’s “#1 ranking” is based entirely on the piles of **** he’s had the luxury of defending against....from Tarvarius Jackson and Curtis Painter (QB rating of 38 last week), to Blaine Gabbert, Matt Hasseljack, and Kevin Kolb.

bad word got schooled and toyed with in embarrassing fashion in last year’s matchup. For one, he played 9 on 11, insisting on using a fat, short, pudgy, run stuffing NT and a slow-as-molasses ILB. With Hampton and Farrior on the field, you’re playing 9 on 11 and hopelessly outmatched. Not satisfied, bad word went a step further, foolishly trying William Gay on TE Rob Gronkowski. Gay at times has some decent moments covering wide receivers, but he has nowhere near the physicality, strength, size, or technique to match up against an athletic big man like Gronko. So, thanks to the esteemed supreme brilliance of bad word LeBeau, the Stillers were often playing 8 on 11, and they got ***-***** in the process. It was so bad, that Brady could have literally held a Subway sandwich in his left hand -- munching on it while scanning the field in the comfy of his pocket -- and still carved bad word’s defense apart.

Because LeBeau has consistently shown such a dull, stubborn, Cro-Magnon approach to Brady and the Pats, the Stillers have virtually no chance of winning this game.

The way to limit Brady is with pressure up the MIDDLE, with hands up to bat short passes and with rushers popping Brady in the mouth on occasion to rattle him and take him out of his comfort zone. The Jets did this in last year’s playoffs, and the NYG did this to perfection in their Super Bowl win over the 18-and-failure Patsies.

You’ve got to take some chances against Brady. bad word has steadfastly refused to do this, instead opting for a chicken****, “play it safe” scheme, which gives Brady ample room, eons of time, and plenty of rhythm to play pitch n’ catch. The problem with “play it safe” schemes, in any sport, is that the scoreboard operator doesn’t care how points are scored. A valid point, goal, or run is chalked up onto the scoreboard. Playing it safe in basketball means to collapse under the hoop, only to allow easy, wide-open 3-pointers. Playing it safe in baseball might mean walking 6 batters in an inning and allowing 3 or 4 easy runs without allowing a single hit. Playing it safe in football means allowing Brady all the time and room he wants in the pocket, and then playing pitch and catch with WIDE open receivers for 8, 12, 15, and 20 yards at a crack.

The Stillers only chance to win this game will be to execute the following:

- Farrior is injured and may not play. This is obviously a blessing in disguise. You saw him get abused last week on the 73-yard catch and run TD by Howling, and he’s been tooled by so many RBs and TEs the past 3 seasons that, if those players were assembled in 1 place, you would need a large gymnasium to accommodate the gathering. Of course, Larry Foote is completely worthless as a coverage ‘backer.

What bad word needs to do here, is move Timmons back to an ILB spot. Timmy has done nothing as an edge rusher and he’s not able to provide holistic coverage from OLB as he would from ILB. Because of the Pats passing game, bad word need to go with the nickel package at least half the time, meaning Foote would sit and an extra DB would enter the game. Timmons at ILB enables bad word to have half a chance against the 2 talented TEs. Pola might cover 1 of the TEs at times, but he’s better in a free-lance role. Ryan Clark can’t come close to covering either of these TEs. Obviosuly, neither can Gay, and Mundy has little chance. Timmons and his athleticism & strength must be used on 1 of these TEs.

- With Timmons moving to ILB, use Sylvester at OLB. The guy hits and he’s tough. He’s no rookie, and he should be entrusted to rush the QB from the blind side. At this point, he can’t do any less in pass pressure from the ROLB spot than what Timmy is doing.

- At NT, Hampton need not play. All the grande’ babble about “he pushes the pocket” is pure, unadulterated bull****. On perhaps 1% of all pass plays he has ever played, Hampton has gotten a small push. That’s it. It’s not enough against Brady. Hoke would be the ideal NT, but if he can’t go, use McClendon. However, the NT needs only play sparingly. To beat Brady, the Stillers tall, rangy, athletic rushers on the DL, to include Keisel, Hood, and Heyward. At times, they will need only 2 DL on the field. Again, the goal of these men should be to knife when they can to provide middle disruption, and to bat or deflect passes when they can.

- Consider trying Keenan Lewis on either Gronko or Hernadez. Will Allen deserves a shot, too, with his decent size.

- The DBs have got to play some in-your-face man coverage on the Patsie receivers. This sitting back 13 yards off the LOS allows Brady to play pitch and catch. Jamming WRs causes a disruption in the timing routes that Brady loves to throw.

- Blitzes have obviously got to be used. Mamby-pamby 3 and 4 man rushes -- aginst FIVE offensive linemen -- are not going to harass nor hurry Brady, and that’s not going to get him popped in the mouth and get rattled.

The solution is there, but expect yet another pumpkin carving at Heinz Field, as the Pats toy with and embarrass bad word “the Bumpkin Pumpkin” LeBeau and his vaunted “#1 defense”

[url="http://www.stillers.com/articles/2686.aspx"]http://www.stillers.com/articles/2686.aspx[/url]

It is the easiest thing to come up with these solutions from the armchair or barstool. Some jackass claims All they have to do is "this and that". I'm so smart and LeBeau is so dumb he doesn't do this.

In reality I doubt this snide guy or the vast majority of the observers really know exactly what the defense is designed to do. And that drawing things up on a blackboad probably very seldom translates into how the play happens. I think LeBeau has tried to do different things but that Brady and Co. just outplayed all the adjustments that were tried.

Most teams aren't good enough to beat the Patriots with Brady. Not just the Steelers. The Giants and the Jets get highlighted. They are the exceptions. The Giants front four had a great day and the Jets have a strength at CB. The Patriots get beat once in a while. It's not an infallible blueprint that can't fail, like the author suggests. Because the Patriots will adjust just like a defense does.

I don't think LeBeau is stubborn. The coaching staff has gameplanned. I don't think they'll try anything very exotic but they'll do something to get to
    Brady. I give LeBeau and the coaching staff overall much more credit than this guy.

If the Steelers get blown out again, I'll be forced to agree but I doubt that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd go with a rotation on the DLine of 2 DTs and keep them fresh. Hoke/McClendon and Ziggy/Heyward and their goal is to collapse the pocket so Brady cannot step up.

I'd also rotate Keisel/Sylvester at OLB opposite Woodley and move them every where to go after the QB. Just like the 2 DTs, rotate them 50/50 to keep them fresh and after Brady all day.

Move Timmons back inside. I'd consider letting him cover Welker and make sure he gets a shot on him at the LOS and hand him off to Willie Gay past 5 yards.

I'd put Ike on Gronkowski. Actually let Ike/Troy split up responsibility for Gronkowski/Hernandez.

I'd give Farrior 25% of the snaps and only allow him to blitz Brady up the middle on every play. If Farrior can't go, I'd do the same with Foote. Crash the pocket so Brady can't step up.

And I'd rush Woodley 50% of the snaps. The other, I'd give him the responsibility for covering the RB out of the backfield or dropping Gronkowski/Hernandez at the LOS.

If we can take out the TEs and Welker, Brady only has 12 completions to RBs, Ochocinco has done nothing, and we've got Branch that could be an issue for Lewis, Brown, Butler, McFaddy, whoever has to deal with him.

At the end of the day, we'll be alright as long as we take away the TEs and Welker and don't give Brady any room to step up in the pocket.

Lebeau needs to own Brady now that he's talking smack. Remember how Brady went after our punk DB that was yapping his flap a few years back? Now it's time for Tricky Dicky to go after Tommy boy.

Send the house and hit him a few times. Even a couple shots after the whistle. Offer to pay any fines for your defensive players this week for hits on Brady.

James Harrison let the secret out that you think Goodell can go F himself.

Now it's time to teach Tommy Boy a lesson.

Let's roll!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

Send the house and hit him a few times. Even a couple shots after the whistle. Offer to pay any fines for your defensive players this week for hits on Brady.
    One downside to this is the possibility of ejection for that late hit. We'd be in a heap of trouble if Wood or Timmons got ejected. And, call me Oliver Stone or something, but I believe the refs have been instructed to play it VERY tight as far as protecting the QB this afternoon (if said QB is not wearing B&G). It will be a very fine line that our pass rushers will be asked to walk ...

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Let's roll!!!!!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons on Welker won't work. Pats will abuse that mathup all day long. Timmons is fast but he doesn't attack in a controlled manner, one move and Timmons is toast in space.

I would put Keenan Lewis on Welker all day long. If we try to go with 2 DL's the Pats will run on us all day long and then play action us to death.

Rotate Hoke, McClendon, Keisel, Ziggy and Ironhead II and cover underneath tight. We have to get pressure and force one of the TE's to stay in to block. That is the only way we beat the Pats IMO.

Honestly, keeping Brady off the field is the best way to beat him.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

This is a bunch of nonsense. If it was easy to stop the Pats offense people would do it. The Pats offense is up at the top of the league with the Packers for a reason. Brady was MVP of the league last year because no one stopped his offense.

The only point I agree with is the idea of getting pressure in Brady's face.That is true of every QB. Unfortunately the Steelers don't have Ngata in the middle of their defense. They have to blitz to get pressure and if you don't get to Brady you get burned.

The Steelers have to score points. Go look back at all the Pats/Steelers games and you see the Steelers always falling behind. Belichik always puts in wrinkles that slow down the offense for at least one half, thus giving the Pats the ability to start out in front. If we don't have at least 10 points in the first half, we will lose again. Ben also has to protect the ball because the Steelers lose the turnover battle whenever they play the Pats.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile
    It is the easiest thing to come up with these solutions from the armchair or barstool. Some jackass claims All they have to do is "this and that". I'm so smart and LeBeau is so dumb he doesn't do this.
    Haha... exactly what I was thinking, reading that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile
    In reality I doubt this snide guy or the vast majority of the observers really know exactly what the defense is designed to do. And that drawing things up on a blackboad probably very seldom translates into how the play happens. I think LeBeau has tried to do different things but that Brady and Co. just outplayed all the adjustments that were tried.

Most teams aren't good enough to beat the Patriots with Brady. Not just the Steelers. The Giants and the Jets get highlighted. They are the exceptions. The Giants front four had a great day and the Jets have a strength at CB. The Patriots get beat once in a while. It's not an infallible blueprint that can't fail, like the author suggests. Because the Patriots will adjust just like a defense does.

I don't think LeBeau is stubborn. The coaching staff has gameplanned. I don't think they'll try anything very exotic but they'll do something to get to
    Brady. I give LeBeau and the coaching staff overall much more credit than this guy.

However, I would agree that something needs to be done by the coaches. After watching the past 10 years of Steeler-Cheats* games, you can make some conclusions. We have been colossal failures, in making Brady* uncomfortable in any way, be it scheme or pass-rush. To play the same way we've traditionally played him is basically conceding defeat.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19161"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19161[/url]

Wow, I said this last week...
    Steeler fans can see what doesnt work year after year.
    If you spread us out we cant stop it.
    Lebeau has proven he has no answer to GB,NO & the Pats style offenses.

I think LeBeau has tried to do different things but that Brady and Co. just outplayed all the adjustments that were tried.
    You mean how we adjusted to R. Gronkowski murgalize Gay last year?
    Dick LeBeau (2004–present)
    Regular season
    10/31/04 - NE 20 Pitt 34
    09/25/05 - NE 23 Pitt 20
    12/09/07 - NE 34 Pitt 13
    11/30/08 - NE 10 Pitt 33
    11/14/10 - NE 39 Pitt 26
    Playoffs
    01/23/05 - NE 41 Pitt 27

Legend

User Info Menu

TOP: Steelers 39:22 - Pats* 20:38

a two to one edge in possession.

now that is the way to beat the Pats* and keep Tom Lady off the field.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha