Thread: Sidney Crosby cleared for full contact at practices now

Legend

User Info Menu

Sidney Crosby cleared for full contact at practices now

Crosby Takes Next Step: Full Contact
    Features By Sam Kasan
    Thursday, 10.13.2011 / 11:53 AM

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby announced Thursday that he is “cleared for full contact,” the next step in his road to recovery from a concussion he suffered in early January.

“I’m cleared for full contact. It’s a good step in the right direction,” he said. “We’ll see how it goes for the next little bit.”

Crosby, who discarded his white “no contact” helmet for black headgear, has only been cleared to receive contact in practice. So he must first receive contact from his teammates during practices and see how he reacts before even considering playing a game.

“It’s pretty tough right now, we play every second day and back-to-back games. There aren’t a lot of practices with contact per se,” Crosby said. “I’ve got to get hit at some point during practice, but we’re playing so much that it’s pretty tough to get that in right now.”

Crosby, who added that he hasn’t had any concussion-like symptoms since training camp, met with his doctors and all parties agreed that it was time for him to take the next step of having contact in practice.

“Doing light stuff and feeling pretty good and the way I responded over the last few weeks to everything else, it was a good sign,” Crosby said. “We discussed things and decided to go to the next step here and go full contact.”

Now that he has been cleared, it’s up to Crosby’s teammates to step up and start hitting him.

“When a guy comes back from injury you’re usually a little hesitant. That’s pretty normal,” Crosby said. “I might have to do something to get them to hit me. Maybe I’ll have to bump them a little bit and get them going. As close to a game situation as we can get it.”

Crosby will monitor his health day-by-day and will have a dialogue with his doctors before making a decision to get back into game action.

“It’s up to how I respond to getting hit,” he said. “I guess it’s up to me, but we have to see when we get to that point.”
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=595720&navid=DL|PIT|home[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Sidney Crosby cleared for full contact at practices now

Assuming he has no symptoms, I'm guessing it's still going to be a few more weeks.

But it sure would be great to see him back in action on Saturday.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Assuming he has no symptoms, I'm guessing it's still going to be a few more weeks.

I'm just hoping that Geno is good to go for Saturday at this point.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts

I'm just hoping that Geno is good to go for Saturday at this point.
    Game time decision tonight. If he doesn't go, then hopefully he'll return Saturday.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

When Sid comes back, what do you do?

Have Sid, Geno, and Jordan center the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines like the good ol' days?

Or do you put 87/71 together, or 71/11 together, or 87/11 together on the same line?

Which of the guys who has been getting regular play early on becomes a regular scratch?

Here is one thought:

Malkin-Crosby-Neal (2 of the best players in the world, plus a guy who's finally adapted to the Pens system)
    Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy (they just seem to play so well together; it would be tough to justify breaking 'em up)
    Sullivan-Letestu-Dupuis (you want a 3rd line to be an energy line; these guys bring energy...and then some)
    Cooke-Adams-Asham (you want a 4th line to be a checking line; these guys will check you...and then some)

I've liked the way Joe Vitale has played so far, but I suppose he'd have to don a suit instead of skates, along with Park & MacIntyre.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Have Sid, Geno, and Jordan center the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines like the good ol' days?

Or do you put 87/71 together, or 71/11 together, or 87/11 together on the same line?

Which of the guys who has been getting regular play early on becomes a regular scratch?

Here is one thought:

Malkin-Crosby-Neal (2 of the best players in the world, plus a guy who's finally adapted to the Pens system)
    Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy (they just seem to play so well together; it would be tough to justify breaking 'em up)
    Sullivan-Letestu-Dupuis (you want a 3rd line to be an energy line; these guys bring energy...and then some)
    Cooke-Adams-Asham (you want a 4th line to be a checking line; these guys will check you...and then some)

I've liked the way Joe Vitale has played so far, but I suppose he'd have to don a suit instead of skates, along with Park & MacIntyre.
    I like Geno-Sid-Neal and Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy as the top two.

Can't wait to see Neal and Crosby on the same line. Like you said, Neal seems to have
    adapted, but also, wasn't he brought in to play with Crosby?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here is one thought:

I think Vitale has played well enough to stay in a rotation with Asham, Adams, Letestu, and co (when Sid and Geno come back). Asham and Adams don't need to play every night at their age and for the type of game they play. Vitale needs to play to continue to develop. He took a big step in the last year. We need to see if he can take one more.

I don't like playing Sid with Geno on a regular line. I like to spread the wealth.

Kunitz Sid Neal
    Sullivan Geno Kennedy
    Cooke Staal Dupuis
    Letestu Vitale/Adams Asham

A healthy Jeffery would also be a nice problem to have.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.