Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline Next Week-A suggestion that isn't Aaron Curry

Legend

User Info Menu

Trade Deadline Next Week-A suggestion that isn't Aaron Curry

Casey Hampton has been the rock in the middle of our 3-4 for the last decade (listed at 6'1" 325 lbs, but we all know that he probably hasn't seen 325 lbs. since high school). However, he is aging, and his play has been slipping somewhat. He was replaced by Chris Hoke in the lineup this past weekend because of injury, and Hokie played well, but he is even older than Big Snack is. We have Steve McLendon, but his 6'4" 280 lbs. build seems more like a 3-4 DE body than a 3-4 NT body (he's one of these guys that Tomlin loves because of his positional flexibility). He could potentially function as our Hoke of the future, the undersized backup (Hokie's listed at 6'2" 305 lbs.) who fills in for the big, beefy starter every now and then. The problem is, we don't have a big, beefy starter of the future at nose tackle. And in the draft, there Alameda Ta'amu from Washington, but he may be off the board before we select in the first round, and I don't see another high quality NT prospect in the draft pool at this point. So, where do we look? Where does Colbert always look? Detroit, of course!

The Lions have an embarrassment of riches at DT at the moment. Suh is already the best in the business, and they absolutely stole Nick Fairley in the mid-first. Now that Fairley is healthy and able to play as of this Monday night, they may be willing to move one of their other DT's for a future draft pick. Beyond those two youngsters, they have veteran Corey Williams (who flamed out in Cleveland where he was miscast as a 3-4 DE...but he was a solid 4-3 DT when he was in Green Bay before that) and Andre Fluellen in his 4th year out of Florida State (also better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4). That's a solid DT rotation for them with those 4 guys, so perhaps they could net a solid draft pick for their other DT, Sammie Lee Hill, who seems like he would actually be better suited for our 3-4 than their 4-3.

I really liked Sammie Lee Hill coming out of tiny Stillman College a couple of years ago. He's listed at a solid 6'4" 329 lbs. He has already shown that his game does transfer from the SIAC to the NFL (not a failed small school project like Jamain Stephens). He was a 4th round pick by the Lions in 2009...perhaps we could get him for a 3rd round pick next year. Then we'd have our starting NT of the future, and would still have our top 2 picks to address OL and ILB (or possibly add more talent in the secondary if the right guy falls). His salary is only $480,000 this year since he is still working off his rookie deal, and he is scheduled to be a restricted free agent next year, so we could keep in with an RFA tender before ultimately extending him long term.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Trade Deadline Next Week-A suggestion that isn't Aaron C

Ruthless - I'm sold..Let's trade a 3rd

We could then draft a OT and OG with our 1st and 2nd.

That would leave us w/ FS and ILB and another o-lineman in rounds 4 thru 7
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i saw him get a few snaps in the monday night game. he looked alright. it might be worth exploring. but, the steelers will never do it.

also, mcclendon does not look 280 any more. I'm guessing 300-310.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Hill came in for a pre-draft visit on the South Side back in '09...

They may have kept an eye on him...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

give up a 3rd for a guy who was originally a 4th... a guy so far down on their depth chart that it's amazing he dresses for games? nah. I'd give up a 7th for him.. maybe.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    .....And in the draft, there Alameda Ta'amu from Washington, but he may be off the board before we select in the first round, and I don't see another high quality NT prospect in the draft pool at this point.
    Ruthless, NT/DT Brandon Thompson of Clemson is ranked higher than Ta'amu on many boards. Watch him one game and you will see a major force inside. One who plays with a lot of energy and is very disruptive. I personally think he is a better fit at NT in a 3-4 than Ta'amu. But I also feel you can't go wrong with either one.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't we only have ~ $200k left under the salary cap?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    .....And in the draft, there Alameda Ta'amu from Washington, but he may be off the board before we select in the first round, and I don't see another high quality NT prospect in the draft pool at this point.
    Ruthless, NT/DT Brandon Thompson of Clemson is ranked higher than Ta'amu on many boards. Watch him one game and you will see a major force inside. One who plays with a lot of energy and is very disruptive. I personally think he is a better fit at NT in a 3-4 than Ta'amu. But I also feel you can't go wrong with either one.
    I agree about Thompson, but I just saw him as more of a 4-3 DT, though, but I suppose he could play in a 3-4 as well. In a 3-4, I'd say Thompson would be more of a Jay Ratliff type NT (beefier than Ratliff, but probably would be more comfortable as a one gap penetrator than a two gap plugger), while Ta'amu would be more of a Casey Hampton type NT that we are used to in LeBeau's system.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Casey Hampton has been the rock in the middle of our 3-4 for the last decade (listed at 6'1" 325 lbs, but we all know that he probably hasn't seen 325 lbs. since high school). However, he is aging, and his play has been slipping somewhat. He was replaced by Chris Hoke in the lineup this past weekend because of injury, and Hokie played well, but he is even older than Big Snack is. We have Steve McLendon, but his 6'4" 280 lbs. build seems more like a 3-4 DE body than a 3-4 NT body (he's one of these guys that Tomlin loves because of his positional flexibility). He could potentially function as our Hoke of the future, the undersized backup (Hokie's listed at 6'2" 305 lbs.) who fills in for the big, beefy starter every now and then. The problem is, we don't have a big, beefy starter of the future at nose tackle. And in the draft, there Alameda Ta'amu from Washington, but he may be off the board before we select in the first round, and I don't see another high quality NT prospect in the draft pool at this point. So, where do we look? Where does Colbert always look? Detroit, of course!

The Lions have an embarrassment of riches at DT at the moment. Suh is already the best in the business, and they absolutely stole Nick Fairley in the mid-first. Now that Fairley is healthy and able to play as of this Monday night, they may be willing to move one of their other DT's for a future draft pick. Beyond those two youngsters, they have veteran Corey Williams (who flamed out in Cleveland where he was miscast as a 3-4 DE...but he was a solid 4-3 DT when he was in Green Bay before that) and Andre Fluellen in his 4th year out of Florida State (also better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4). That's a solid DT rotation for them with those 4 guys, so perhaps they could net a solid draft pick for their other DT, Sammie Lee Hill, who seems like he would actually be better suited for our 3-4 than their 4-3.

I really liked Sammie Lee Hill coming out of tiny Stillman College a couple of years ago. He's listed at a solid 6'4" 329 lbs. He has already shown that his game does transfer from the SIAC to the NFL (not a failed small school project like Jamain Stephens). He was a 4th round pick by the Lions in 2009...perhaps we could get him for a 3rd round pick next year. Then we'd have our starting NT of the future, and would still have our top 2 picks to address OL and ILB (or possibly add more talent in the secondary if the right guy falls). His salary is only $480,000 this year since he is still working off his rookie deal, and he is scheduled to be a restricted free agent next year, so we could keep in with an RFA tender before ultimately extending him long term.

I'll bet its been a while since McLendon has seen 280. He's clearly bigger than that now, I'll bet he's 300+.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'll bet its been a while since McLendon has seen 280. He's clearly bigger than that now, I'll bet he's 300+.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.