Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good old-fashioned hard work paying off for Hoke

Legend

User Info Menu

Good old-fashioned hard work paying off for Hoke

Hard work paying off for Hoke

There's nothing mystical about Chris Hoke's play ... just good, old-fashioned hard work

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Watch backup nose tackle Chris Hoke during the Steelers home game Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. It won't matter if he's on the Heinz Field lawn or on the sideline. He will be bouncing up and down, a 305-pound block of endless enthusiasm, working on his footwork, working on his punching technique, working on every aspect of his game.

"We love Hokey's energy," Steelers defensive captain James Farrior said.

On the field, anyway.

"He can be annoying," linebacker Larry Foote said. "We'll be in the cafeteria line and, all of a sudden, he'll break down into his 3-point stance. It's like he's always kissing up to the coaches."

Foote grinned.

"But that's Hoke. That's just how he works. He's always working on his craft. He's a true professional."

That's why Hoke has lasted 11 seasons in the NFL despite being an undrafted free agent. That's why the Steelers defense was more than effective -- above the line, in coach Mike Tomlin's words -- with him starting for injured Pro Bowler Casey Hampton in the 38-17 home win against the Tennessee Titans.

"I love having Hokey in there," Farrior said. "He's my man. I always remind Hamp that I made the Pro Bowl the one year I played behind Hokey when he was starting. Hamp doesn't like hearing that."

That was the 2004 season when Farrior made All-Pro. Hoke started the final 10 regular-season games after Hampton went down with a knee injury in Dallas. The Steelers won all 10.

"I think the Hokester has a better record than anyone else in the business when he starts," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

It's 16-1 after the win Sunday. The loss was against the Oakland Raiders in 2006, but that hardly was Hoke's fault. That was the day the Raiders managed 98 yards but still won because Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw four interceptions, two that were returned for touchdowns.

"I have a real easy explanation for that [16-1] record," Hoke said Monday. "The other guys realize I'm in there for Hamp and they know they have to step up their game. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them."

Don't you just love a modest athlete?

"Hokey could start for a lot of other teams," Farrior said.

Hoke said he has never regretted not pursuing such an opportunity. He has made a great living. His wife loves Pittsburgh. His five kids are comfortable here. He likes the city, his teammates, his coaches. He likes his two Super Bowl rings. He likes being a Steeler. He can't imagine being anything but a Steeler before he retires.

"Packing up and leaving just never seemed worth a few extra dollars," Hoke said.

In some ways, Hoke can't believe he has lasted this long in the NFL. He and Hampton came in together in 2001. Hampton, as a No. 1 draft pick, was destined for greatness. Hoke, out of Brigham Young, not so much.

"I was just talking about that with my wife," he said. "I remember my first training camp when I wasn't getting any reps. I remember calling home. 'Babe, I don't see how I can make the team. I'm not getting a chance.' I'm just so glad I kept putting up the good fight. When you're a free agent, you have to have talent to make a team, but you also have to be lucky. I was lucky. It's been an unbelievable ride."

The Steelers are glad Hoke stuck around. Facing salary-cap issues, they didn't re-sign him until early August, after camp began. He earned his pay Sunday, being involved in three tackles of Titans running back Chris Johnson for losses and getting a hurry on quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

"Thanks, but you know me, I concentrate on what I did wrong," Hoke said.

It turns out Hoke was responsible for Johnson's 21-yard run on the Titans' first play. He was held up by center Eugene Amano and chopped down by right guard Jake Scott. Johnson cut back and ran by him.

"I don't want to say I panicked," Hoke said. "But I was like, 'Oh, boy, that's the same play teams have been hurting us with. I can't let this happen all day.' After that first series, I went to the sideline and gathered my thoughts. After that, I was better."

Johnson finished with 51 yards on 14 carries.

What an improvement for a defense that allowed the Houston Texans 180 rushing yards a week earlier in a 17-10 loss.

"At our meeting Saturday night, [defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau] stood in front of us and said, 'There's no way in hell anyone can tell me that you guys can't stop the run and can't make plays,' " Farrior recalled. " 'I've seen you guys play. I know what you can do.' "

That includes Hoke.

"Oh, yeah, [LeBeau] believes in him," Farrior said. "He trusts him. Hokey has earned that trust."

There's a good chance Hampton and his bad shoulder won't be ready Sunday for the Jaguars. Hoke will be prepared for a second consecutive start. He's glad the Steelers finally called again this summer with a contract offer. He's thrilled he didn't have to retire even though he's looking forward to his "second dream job" -- hopefully as a coach at BYU.

"I just want to help the team," Hoke said. "I don't want to be a deterrent. I want to be someone who lifts the guys up. I want to bring energy."

On the field during practices and games. In the meeting room and locker room. Maybe even in the cafeteria lunch line.

A kiss-up to the coaches?

"Nah," Foote said.

"Just Hoke being Hoke."

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11284/1181169-87-0.stm#ixzz1aVC251CP"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11284/11 ... z1aVC251CP[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Good old-fashioned hard work paying off for Hoke

I started wondering if Hoke should start over Casey?

I remember in his extended playing time when Casey got hurt, the run D was its best ever.

Again, we got a lift against one of the best rushers in the game.

I think the value Hokie has is he's a little more athletic and nimble than Big Casey. And because of it, teams can't cut block him.

The problem with Hampton this year is everyone's cutting him and he's not able to adjust and stop it from happening. Why not?

If he can't answer that, it probably means Hokie deserves to see the field more.

And the Hokie being Hokie comment probably has to do with him being a mormon. Every mormon person I've ever know has this super spirit and character that sets them apart from everyone else. If I didn't think their religion was all whack, I'd convert so I could ooze that mega positive mojo those folks have. Except for the ones that marry a gaggle of 12 year olds and Mitt Romney. I've never met any of those mormons. But the rest that I have met are super cool people.

Backup

User Info Menu

Always loved Hoke.. I wonder if him always having "Fresh" legs helps him.. Like even if you start him for One whole season its still just One Season - he has very little wear-n-tear on him.. It's like the comfortable Misteress, Always looking good because you dont have to see her in the morning.

Just a thought.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken
    Always loved Hoke.. I wonder if him always having "Fresh" legs helps him.. Like even if you start him for One whole season its still just One Season - he has very little wear-n-tear on him.. It's like the comfortable Misteress, Always looking good because you dont have to see her in the morning.

Just a thought.
    I was with you until you compared Hoke to a mistress...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I started wondering if Hoke should start over Casey?

I remember in his extended playing time when Casey got hurt, the run D was its best ever.
    I don't recall the run D being called the "best ever," but analysts did say it was statistically better than when Hampton started that year.

I'm less concerned about who starts because they both get playing time, although maybe he should get more. Not sure the snap distribution, but it does seem like Hoke gets to spell Hampton throughout the game, especially when the defense can't get off the field. If it keeps them both fresh, I'd be cool with them splitting the snaps right up the middle.
    Some people subscribe to a permanent stasis of wishful thinking. They like to believe the world is made of marshmallows and filled with butterflies. I don't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought last years defense was considered one of the best ever.. not the one from 04... all 7 years ago of it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hoke still has good initial quickness for his age. Couple that with his lunch pail attitude, and he drives centers crazy.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

WEDNESDAY, 12 OCTOBER 2011

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

-- YOU: You pointed out the swim technique used by Chris Hoke last week. Is this a philosophical change by D!ck Lebeau/John Mitchell on how to handle the stretch play or is this something Hoke does/did? In other words should we expect Casey Hampton to apply a similar technique? If so does his body type allow him to be effective with that technique?

ME: It's my understanding that it was just something Hoke did.

[url="http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/112463-ed-tomlin-hangs-up-on-jacksonville"]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... cksonville[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Someone brought up that 15-1 record last week in the chat... this is no coincidence. Of course, in the end, I defer to the coaches who watch the tape, watch practice daily... but in the end, 16-1 is 16-1. Especially considering with Hampton (over that time), we are very far from .95+ winning percentage. In fact, just going by that fact alone, I think it's clear we made a mistake re-signing Hamptom a year ago to a contract. His play is going to go downhilll quickly, while we could have just used Hoke, and drafted the young replacement.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Someone brought up that 15-1 record last week in the chat... this is no coincidence. Of course, in the end, I defer to the coaches who watch the tape, watch practice daily... but in the end, 16-1 is 16-1. Especially considering with Hampton (over that time), we are very far from .95+ winning percentage. In fact, just going by that fact alone, I think it's clear we made a mistake re-signing Hamptom a year ago to a contract. His play is going to go downhilll quickly, while we could have just used Hoke, and drafted the young replacement.
    Less than 63 yards per rushing a game last year
    2 super bowl victories
    3 super bowl appearances
    top 10 rushing defenses year in and year out
    one constant in 11 years
    Casey Hampton