Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you guys think our LBs did with Timmons on the end?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: How do you guys think our LBs did with Timmons on the en

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete
    Timmons struggled on the outside from a pass rushing stand point
    He looked really gassed at times
    He was covering a lot and on a couple occasions he was matched on a WR. I suspect that is why he may have looked "gassed" to you but I dodn't seem him lagging at all.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

he looked like a 4-3 outside linebacker, not a 3-4 OLB

Legend

User Info Menu

They're Back!

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.net
    Posted Oct 9, 2011

Pittsburgh – Pittsburgh’s version of “Where’s Waldo?” has been more like Where’s Woodley? Or Farrior? Or Timmons?

Anybody looking for Steelers linebackers found them at Heinz Field Sunday during the Steelers’ 38-17 win over the Tennessee Titans.

It was a bounce back win for the team, foremost, but it was also a bounce back game for the linebackers, particularly LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons.

With James Harrison out of the lineup, the group banded together to pick up the Silverback’s slack.

“We were trying to overdo it,” Woodley admitted. “We were trying to make plays we’re not supposed to make, but I think today we went out there and played as a team and everybody stayed in their gap, everybody did a good job tackling, everybody did a good job rallying to the ball, getting back to Steelers defense, the way we’ve been doing that for years. When we do that, we’re hard to beat.”

Woodley was the prime example last week of trying to do too much. On a handoff to Arian Foster, Woodley went too deep because his other responsibility – aside from a potential cutback by the runner – is a bootleg by the quarterback. While looking for that, Woodley was scorched by Foster for the 42-yard winning touchdown.

“I feel like I let the team down by missing that tackle,” Woodley said. “I had the opportunity and I missed it. I missed the tackle. I hate to let my teammates down. I don’t care what anybody else says about me or about my play, but when I feel like I let my teammates down, I let this organization down, that’s when it’s like, ‘Oh, man, you missed that tackle.’”

Woodley made up for it Sunday against the Titans with 1½ sacks and an interception. The sack on 2nd-and-goal from the 7 was the key to forcing the Titans into kicking a field goal on their first possession. And the interception killed the momentum the Titans had seized by recovering an onside kick at 28-10 late in the third quarter.

“That was a great catch by Woodley,” said Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. “We had momentum, and they just stole the momentum right back.”

Did Woodley break out of his early-season slump Sunday?

“I’m not going to say he was in a slump,” said Farrior. “I told Woodley the other day that he doesn’t really get cranked up until the middle of the season anyway, but since they gave him all this money people are looking for him to be doing stuff right out of the gate. I think he’s doing a good job. He’s playing the defense well. His plays are going to come.”

Farrior did admit that Sunday’s game was his best of the season. While he was nowhere to be found during Foster’s big game last week, Farrior this week was all over Titans running back Chris Johnson, who gained only 51 yards on 14 carries – or 30 yards on 13 carries after ripping off 21 yards on his first carry.

“I said, ‘Oh, you know what,’” was Farrior’s reaction to that run. But the defense settled down and Farrior, with a team-high 13 tackles, was a big part of it.

“Big-time plays from Wood. Big-time plays from Potsie,” said Keisel. “We expect that from those guys. In fact, I told Woodley if he doesn’t give me the flying kick today, I’m taking the friend card back. So he came up with some huge plays today. We needed that from those guys.”

[url="http://pit.scout.com/2/1115563.html"]http://pit.scout.com/2/1115563.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons did miss the RB on the goal line run for a score. Runner ran right by him while Timmons took on the blocker he didn't need to engage. Probably just unfamiliarity with his responsibilities in that area.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Timmons was easily swallowed up by a lineman every time I noticed him rushing. But he did a nice job of contain and dropping into coverage.

I think he could be decent at the position in time and may have even helped the run defense from this position.
    This was also what I saw. I was hoping for a multi-sack "breakout" game from Timmons but it just didn't happen. From what I saw of his rushing it seemed like instead of relying on his speed (which is his greatest asset IMO) he tried to bullrush through the lineman. I don't think I ever saw a spin move or anything relying on speed.

Of course, I'm assuming he doesn't get many reps at OLB and he doesn't have the experience.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

MONDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2011

Monday news and notes

It will be interesting to see if Mike Tomlin sticks with Lawrence Timmons or goes to Jason Worilds at outside linebacker - if Worilds is over his quad injury.

If it were me, I'd go with Worilds.

This is a perfect opportunity to get the young man's feet wet against a team you should dominate. And Timmons is way better inside than he is outside.

posted by Dale Lolley

[url="http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/"]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    From what I saw of his rushing it seemed like instead of relying on his speed (which is his greatest asset IMO) he tried to bullrush through the lineman. I don't think I ever saw a spin move or anything relying on speed.

Of course, I'm assuming he doesn't get many reps at OLB and he doesn't have the experience.
    If Timmons could work on a move or 2, he could be lethal off the edge. A part of me hopes he sticks there for a while just to see if he gets better at pass rushing.

Starter

User Info Menu

In answer to your question...

I thought Foote played below average. He was awful in pass protection and didn't really get to the QB in ILB blitz plays. He tackled okay but his skills are really fading.

It is very hard for me to see Farrior deteriorate like this. He is still getting blocked and driven out of A LOT of running plays so I can't say he is playing well. He is always a step or two short on passing plays as well. It pains me to say it but I thought Farrior showed very little improvement if any.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    It is very hard for me to see Farrior deteriorate like this. He is still getting blocked and driven out of A LOT of running plays so I can't say he is playing well. He is always a step or two short on passing plays as well. It pains me to say it but I thought Farrior showed very little improvement if any.
    I am pretty sure he lead the team in tackles against TN.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    I am pretty sure he lead the team in tackles against TN.

Farrior led the Steelers with 13 tackles, not a bad day's work.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha