Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy Wall Street?

Occupy Wall Street?

An inconsequential movement run by a bunch of kooks?

I find it interesting that at this point these people are anti-Dem as well as anti-Repub. From what I can tell, they are pretty much simply anti-financial class (and the people the financial class serves, the "1%" very wealthy). Seems like the one thing those protesters have in common is they are flowered off that the "1%" very wealthy is continuously rewriting the rules so that the "99%" rest of us ALWAYS gets the screw. Horrible recession bordering on a 2nd great Depression ... "give money to the banks"!!!

The Dems are cautiously trying to see if they can ride that tiger, but IMO I don't think it's a given that they will be able to benefit from the movement. I think those people in the street are pretty much fed up with ANYONE that has had power over the last generation or so.

I'm kind of supportive of that to a degree.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Re: Occupy Wall Street?

I think that they are a bunch of idealists, and Obummer supporters, with a few out of work burnt-out hippies, who just don't get it, and want more for free than the current culture is giving already.

Why the media gives them any attention is the real scandal IMO.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    I think that they are a bunch of idealists, and Obummer supporters, with a few out of work burnt-out hippies, who just don't get it, and want more for free than the current culture is giving already.

Why the media gives them any attention is the real scandal IMO.

Seems like just a bunch of people getting together after they watched the movie Network
    one too many times. I'm really not sure what to think other than I'm glad that at least
    somebody is trying to do something. Whatever that is.

As a union employee of a company that rakes in an 800 million dollar quarterly profit, yeah,
    I'm kind of mad that people are getting rich off the backs of the little guys while they strip
    our compensation little by little. Taking cheese out of our pockets in these "tough economic
    times" that they're having.

But I also know things could be worse.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Seems like just a bunch of people getting together after they watched the movie Network
    one too many times. I'm really not sure what to think other than I'm glad that at least
    somebody is trying to do something. Whatever that is.

As a union employee of a company that rakes in an 800 million dollar quarterly profit, yeah,
    I'm kind of mad that people are getting rich off the backs of the little guys while they strip
    our compensation little by little. Taking cheese out of our pockets in these "tough economic
    times" that they're having.

But I also know things could be worse.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend

If these people put as much effort into getting a job, unemployment wouldn't be so high.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of effort and creativity people can put into complaining. If they could only channel those efforts into something positive, we'd all be in much better shape right now as a country.

I bet no one in the "1%" ever got there by joining one of these protests.

I was in NYC all last week and got to see the prostest up close while visiting the Freedom Tower site. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. There really aren't that many of them (maybe a couple thousand, max) and they don't seem to have a coherent message. I've seen much bigger Tea Party rallies in Ohio.

Maybe it's that they've been there for a month now that has the interest of the press.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    If these people put as much effort into getting a job, unemployment wouldn't be so high.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of effort and creativity people can put into complaining. If they could only channel those efforts into something positive, we'd all be in much better shape right now as a country.

I bet no one in the "1%" ever got there by joining one of these protests
    They don't have to join protests - they just rob and steal from the 99%. They stay a lot warmer that way, and they get to take showers too!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

70% of the protesters are employed.

Among the findings:

They aren’t all kids. Xers, Boomers, and older are also in on it: One-third of respondents is older than 35, and one-fifth is 45 or older.

It’s not all students and the educated elite. About 8% have, at best, a high school degree. And just about a quarter (26.7%) are enrolled in school. Only about 10% are full-time students.

“Get a job!” wouldn’t apply to most of them. Half of the respondents are already employed full-time, and an additional 20% work part-time. Just 13.1% are unemployed--not a whole lot more than the national average.

“Tax the rich!” could hit close to home. About 15% earn between $50,000 and $80,000 annually (pretty good anywhere except in Manhattan). Thirteen percent earn over $75,000 annually, and nearly 2% bring in more than $150,000.

It may be a party, but not that kind. The movement is often identified as a liberal, even Democrat-dominated cause. But just 27.3% of respondents call themselves Democrats (and 2.4% are Republican). And the rest, 70% call themselves independents.

Not everyone tweets. The microblogging site played a big role in getting the movement started. But that’s not how most people keep up with it. Twenty-nine percent of respondents are regular Twitter users. But 66% are Facebook regulars. The biggest online community, however, is YouTube, with about 74% being regular users.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

I bet no one in the "1%" ever got there by joining one of these protests.
    Maybe finding jobs would be easier if they'd stop signing free trade agreements that shipped jobs to third world countries. How anyone thinks it's a good thing is beyond me. I don't know why anyone would think that ANY of these insane dictators that we're working with would actually share wealth with their people. I really hope that when it's time to go to China or Columbia to get these a$$holes out of power people remember who lined their pockets.
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu