Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Movies

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Favorite Movies

My fav's are things like the LOTR trilogy, Boondock Saints, Passion of the Christ, Braveheart, 13th Warrior and 300. I also liked Taken and Wanted quite a bit.

On the lighter side, one of my favorites has been the Great White Hype along with various Adam Sandler flicks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Favorites:
    Gladiator
    Momento
    Mullholland Drive
    Moulin Rouge
    Godfather
    The Usual Suspects
    Unthinkable
    Goodfellas
    Rocky
    American Psycho
    Vanilla Sky
    What Dreams May Come
    existenz

Legend

User Info Menu

Never heard of existenz. Sounds like that "male enhancement" that former coach Jimmy Johnson is peddling.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy you just picked a gem. What dreams may come is unreal. It's the best movie most people haven't heard of. It was a 5 dollar Wal-Mart bin movie that turned out to be one of my top 10 favorites. Robin Williams was just spectacular in that movie.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just watched a good movie this weekend, a Giant Eagle special for $3.99. Title of the Movie " The Departed " Pretty good movie. Also watched an oldy but goody, North by NorthWest.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Never heard of existenz. Sounds like that "male enhancement" that former coach Jimmy Johnson is peddling.
    I'm mixing up my ED drugs and movies :lol

Seriously it was a pretty decent movie. A little SciFi which I'm usually not that into. Kinda like the Matrix in a way. It was a different concept. Think it was out about 10 years ago, so it may seem silly now like most older SciFi concepts. It had Jude Law in it which was one of the first times I'd ever heard of him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Flippy you just picked a gem. What dreams may come is unreal. It's the best movie most people haven't heard of. It was a 5 dollar Wal-Mart bin movie that turned out to be one of my top 10 favorites. Robin Williams was just spectacular in that movie.
    I picked that one up on a recommendation from a guy back when they had movie rental stores and the clerks knew a lot about movies. My wife and I had seen most of the new releases at that time and we specifically asked for a great movie that no one knew about, so it's funny to hear you describe it almost the same way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Just watched a good movie this weekend, a Giant Eagle special for $3.99. Title of the Movie " The Departed " Pretty good movie. Also watched an oldy but goody, North by NorthWest.
    I remember going to see the Departed on opening weekend and felt a little disappointed. It was a good movie, but with the director and all the great actors, I think my expectations were too high.

Sometimes I think great movies come about when you aren't expecting them. My wife dragged me to see Water for Elephants a few months back. I was dreading seeing it. A love story with Robert Pattinson and Reese Whiterspoon - ewwwwwww. But I surprising enjoyed it more than about anything I've seen at the movies in the last year.

It must have been low expectations. It might not have been as good if I expected better. But it was kinda a cool little story and well acted.

My wife made me see another Robert Pattinson movie Remember Me about a year ago and it was pretty good too given my low expectations. Maybe that guy's a decent actor when he's not in Twighlight??? Or maybe Twilight set my expectation for him through the floor. Who knows?

Whatever it is, I always feel a little disappointed when I'm super excited about a movie.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.
    I was actually ticked that I had to watch that movie but, it wasn't such a bad movie at all.

We also watched a movie that looked funny in the previews with Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant. I think it was called, " Meet The Morgans. To me the previews were the best part and in the movie the previews didn't seem funny at all. Over all, the movie was ho hum.

I liked the movie, " The Invention of Lying. " It's pretty good if you want to give in for a movie with your wife or girlfriend.

Legend

User Info Menu

flippy

I remember going to see the Departed on opening weekend and felt a little disappointed. It was a good movie, but with the director and all the great actors, I think my expectations were too high.

Sometimes I think great movies come about when you aren't expecting them. My wife dragged me to see Water for Elephants a few months back. I was dreading seeing it. A love story with Robert Pattinson and Reese Whiterspoon - ewwwwwww. But I surprising enjoyed it more than about anything I've seen at the movies in the last year.

It must have been low expectations. It might not have been as good if I expected better. But it was kinda a cool little story and well acted.

My wife made me see another Robert Pattinson movie Remember Me about a year ago and it was pretty good too given my low expectations. Maybe that guy's a decent actor when he's not in Twighlight??? Or maybe Twilight set my expectation for him through the floor. Who knows?

Whatever it is, I always feel a little disappointed when I'm super excited about a movie.

fezziwig I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.
    I was actually ticked that I had to watch that movie but, it wasn't such a bad movie at all.

We also watched a movie that looked funny in the previews with Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant. I think it was called, " Meet The Morgans. To me the previews were the best part and in the movie the previews didn't seem funny at all. Over all, the movie was ho hum.

I liked the movie, " The Invention of Lying. " It's pretty good if you want to give in for a movie with your wife or girlfriend.
    You two need to turn in your man cards

BTW fezz did you find the John Wayne movie you were looking for?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.