Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Movies

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Favorite Movies

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.
    I was actually ticked that I had to watch that movie but, it wasn't such a bad movie at all.

We also watched a movie that looked funny in the previews with Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant. I think it was called, " Meet The Morgans. To me the previews were the best part and in the movie the previews didn't seem funny at all. Over all, the movie was ho hum.

I liked the movie, " The Invention of Lying. " It's pretty good if you want to give in for a movie with your wife or girlfriend.
    Saw Invention of Lying and liked that one too. Seemed very Monty Python like in a way. My wife didn't really like the humor.

Luckily I've won her over with Jonah Hill, Zack G type movies. The one with Zack and Robert Downey Jr is another one we just caught recently on HBO that pleasantly surprised us. I hate RD Jr most of the time, but these 2 were really funny together.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    flippy

I remember going to see the Departed on opening weekend and felt a little disappointed. It was a good movie, but with the director and all the great actors, I think my expectations were too high.

Sometimes I think great movies come about when you aren't expecting them. My wife dragged me to see Water for Elephants a few months back. I was dreading seeing it. A love story with Robert Pattinson and Reese Whiterspoon - ewwwwwww. But I surprising enjoyed it more than about anything I've seen at the movies in the last year.

It must have been low expectations. It might not have been as good if I expected better. But it was kinda a cool little story and well acted.

My wife made me see another Robert Pattinson movie Remember Me about a year ago and it was pretty good too given my low expectations. Maybe that guy's a decent actor when he's not in Twighlight??? Or maybe Twilight set my expectation for him through the floor. Who knows?

Whatever it is, I always feel a little disappointed when I'm super excited about a movie.

[quote:27wiw8lj]fezziwig I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.
    I was actually ticked that I had to watch that movie but, it wasn't such a bad movie at all.

We also watched a movie that looked funny in the previews with Sarah Jessica Parker and Hugh Grant. I think it was called, " Meet The Morgans. To me the previews were the best part and in the movie the previews didn't seem funny at all. Over all, the movie was ho hum.

I liked the movie, " The Invention of Lying. " It's pretty good if you want to give in for a movie with your wife or girlfriend.
    You two need to turn in your man cards

BTW fezz did you find the John Wayne movie you were looking for?[/quote:27wiw8lj]

my wife carries my balls in her purse. i get them back with permission.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    flippy

I remember going to see the Departed on opening weekend and felt a little disappointed. It was a good movie, but with the director and all the great actors, I think my expectations were too high.

Sometimes I think great movies come about when you aren't expecting them. My wife dragged me to see Water for Elephants a few months back. I was dreading seeing it. A love story with Robert Pattinson and Reese Whiterspoon - ewwwwwww. But I surprising enjoyed it more than about anything I've seen at the movies in the last year.

It must have been low expectations. It might not have been as good if I expected better. But it was kinda a cool little story and well acted.

My wife made me see another Robert Pattinson movie Remember Me about a year ago and it was pretty good too given my low expectations. Maybe that guy's a decent actor when he's not in Twighlight??? Or maybe Twilight set my expectation for him through the floor. Who knows?

Whatever it is, I always feel a little disappointed when I'm super excited about a movie.

[quote:2klqe5ah]fezziwig I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.

BTW fezz did you find the John Wayne movie you were looking for?
    my wife carries my balls in her purse. i get them back with permission. [/quote:2klqe5ah]

LMAO ! we were just talking about our wives today at work with a guy that is thinking about getting married, I think he's having second doubts !
    My advice to him was, " find a women you hate and buy her a house "

I'm joking because I am happily married. My wife told me so.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

flippy

[quote:kon8wam5]fezziwig I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.

BTW fezz did you find the John Wayne movie you were looking for?[/quote:kon8wam5]

Yes I did, I found them on Amazon and I have meant to thank you again. I can't believe you nailed both questions I had for finding those two movies. Are you this huge movie buff or just so into cars that you knew the answers ?

Another great movie was Bullet with Steve McQueen. I only just watched it for the first time about a month and a half ago. Never knew what it was about but my older brother talked about it before and he would complain that he couldn't find the movie in the stores.
    When he got sick with cancer and was dying I found the movie and bought it for him. It was the last movie he watched. I made sure I got it and watched it in honor of him. No wonder he liked it the car scene was great and my brother was a huge mopar guy.

fordfixer, I have another car movie that I'm looking for and I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid. If I remember correctly, a guy had stolen a Mach with very fancy or custom leather interior. The interior of the car to me was kind of a western look to it. I know thats not much to go on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    flippy

[quote:2q8cazt7]fezziwig I know what you mean. My wife and I had friend couples come over the house one evening for pizza and a movie and we went together to rent a video. The girls were tired of our guy movies so they decided to get the movie with Jim Carey where, he was the star of a TV show that, he did not know he was being filmed. I think it was called the Truman Show.

BTW fezz did you find the John Wayne movie you were looking for?

Yes I did, I found them on Amazon and I have meant to thank you again. I can't believe you nailed both questions I had for finding those two movies. Are you this huge movie buff or just so into cars that you knew the answers ?

Another great movie was Bullet with Steve McQueen. I only just watched it for the first time about a month and a half ago. Never knew what it was about but my older brother talked about it before and he would complain that he couldn't find the movie in the stores.
    When he got sick with cancer and was dying I found the movie and bought it for him. It was the last movie he watched. I made sure I got it and watched it in honor of him. No wonder he liked it the car scene was great and my brother was a huge mopar guy.

fordfixer, I have another car movie that I'm looking for and I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid. If I remember correctly, a guy had stolen a Mach with very fancy or custom leather interior. The interior of the car to me was kind of a western look to it. I know thats not much to go on.[/quote:2q8cazt7]

I think the movie you are looking for is "Gone in 60 Seconds" from 1974. The car was a 1973 mustang mach 1. I'm not sure about the western looking interior, Ford offered a interior called the "Pony" from 1965 to 1969 it had kinda of a western look to it.
    And the answer to your questions " Are you this huge movie buff or just so into cars that you knew the answers ?" is yes I also like John Wayne movies alot

Is this the car?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the movie you are looking for is "Gone in 60 Seconds" from 1974. The car was a 1973 mustang mach 1. I'm not sure about the western looking interior, Ford offered a interior called the "Pony" from 1965 to 1969 it had kinda of a western look to it.
    And the answer to your questions " Are you this huge movie buff or just so into cars that you knew the answers ?" is yes I also like John Wayne movies alot

Is this the car?
    Don't get the Nic Cage version that came out a few years ago. The only Nic Cage movie where he actually, you know, acted, was when he was drinking himself to death in Vegas. Other than that, he's basically just a carcicature of himself in his movies.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It was the " 72 Mach I " that was in the movie and thanks. I also need to get the Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary movie also.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget Vanishing Point (1971)

Kowalski works for a car delivery service. He takes delivery of a 1970 Dodge Challenger to take from Colorado to San Francisco, California. Shortly after pickup, he takes a bet to get the car there in less than 15 hours. After a few run-ins with motorcycle cops and highway patrol they start a chase to bring him into custody. Along the way, Kowalski is guided by Supersoul - a blind DJ with a police radio scanner. Throw in lots of chase scenes, gay hitchhikers, a naked woman riding a motorbike, lots of Mopar and you've got a great cult hit from the early 70's.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just saw Drive in the theater last night. Great movie that both my wife and I enjoyed. Sort of a film noir cross between To Live and Die in LA and Pulp Fiction.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't find the original Gone in 60 Seconds. Due to it's Christmas season I'll, be watching nothing but Christmas stuff with the wife and two kiddies anyway.

Christmas season falls within my scheme to buy stuff my wife generally doesn't want me to have. Two years ago I wanted to buy a pogo stick and she was afraid I would eventually get hurt so, we didn't buy it. When I took my 8 year old out shopping for her mom/my wife I stopped at Toys R Us and bought the stick. Told my daughter that, mom didn't want me to have it so I'll need to hide it, wrap it and mark on the card from Santa. To this day my daughter thinks we pulled one over on mom.
    Having said all that, Santa will be bringing a lot of guy DVD that, I happened to order from Amazon.

If you guys are waiting for kids toys or stuff to go down in price here's my solution. A couple of times we just didn't have the money for some stuff for the kids but knew it would go on sale after Chrismas day. I would go buy the stuff on sale, wrap it up and stick it in the fireplace or on the roof resting on a gutter.
    This way we can tell the kids, " look, Santa forgot to bring this in or it dropped out of his sled. " They get real excited when we did that a couple of times.