Thread: After further review …

Legend

User Info Menu

After further review …

After further review …

September 27th, 2011
    [url="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/27/after-further-review-6/#.ToJPN9NeKiY.twitter"]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... iY.twitter[/url]

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Colts game on my DVR

* Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace have developed a strong enough rapport that words don’t need to be said for the two to be thinking the same thing.

That was proven during last week’s win over Seattle when Roethlisberger gave Wallace a look that turned into a short touchdown pass in the back of the end zone.

To steal a famous line from the Big Ben: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

On Dwight Freeney’s strip sack and ensuing touchdown return by Jamaal Anderson wasn’t Jonathan Scott’s fault.

Nope, it was Big Ben and Mike Wallace ‘living by the sword and dying by the sword.’

Rewind back to the third offensive play of the game for the Steelers – a 29-yard catch-and-run by Wallace. Cornerback Jerraud Powers jumped the route, but was late getting to the quick throw from Roethlisberger to Wallace that resulted in a big gain.

Don’t think Roethlisberger and Wallace didn’t notice either that Powers jumped the route.

So when the same play was called late in the first half with the near identical formation other than a third receiver in the game rather than a second tight end, Roethlisberger and Wallace did their own little thing and decided not to let anybody else in on it – well, at least that’s what the films says.

The play was supposed to be another quick-hitter to Wallace, but they decided to fake that and go deep. More like it, it was probably something that was discussed between Roethlisberger, Arians and Wallace sometime during the first half.

In theory, it was a good idea.

In reality, it was a disaster.

First of all, Scott is setting for a two-step drop and a quick throw by Roethlisberger. Scott was in perfect position with his inside protected well for where he thought Roethlisberger was going to be vulnerable.

When Roethlisberger decided to take a couple more steps back, Scott was instantly out of position and Freeney had a free run at him.

What makes this play so intriguing is that even if Roethlisberger would’ve gotten the ball away to Wallace, it would’ve come back.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu was 10 yards down the field going over a linebacker – exactly where he was supposed to be because it was supposed to be such a quick throw. Also, Heath Miller and Hines Ward were already blocking down field.

It just goes to show you that even though the replay appears that Scott was absolutely whipped by Freeney on the play, all the blame really needs to go to the quarterback.

* Put me in the minority, but I think Jonathan Scott played pretty well on Sunday.

Now, he didn’t play great, but he was above the line, in my opinion.

Mind you, Scott didn’t get much help at all with the preeminent pass rusher in the league in Freeney and did a good enough job to keep him off Roethlisberger when the quarterback didn’t decide not to get out of the pocket.

I am sure you will disagree.

* Roethlisberger played a flawless first 18 minutes of the game. He was sharp, he was accurate, and most importantly, he was in rhythm with his passes that made the pass rush unable to get to him.

However, the first time he tried to make something happen with his legs to extend a play is when the Steelers got into trouble. Mathis forced a fumble.

How you stop the Colts’ pass rush is with the rhythm passing game and the Steelers did that … for the most part.

* LaMarr Woodley hasn’t put pressure on the quarterback because he has been on coverage? Well, against the Colts, Woodley rushed the quarterback 27 times and dropped into coverage 14 times.

* I’m not quite sure what Bruce Arians was thinking by not attempting to block Freeney at all during a Mendenhall first-quarter run. I suppose the fake reverse action by Wallace was supposed to hold Freeney, but who knows?

* David Johnson’s one job is to be a blocker, and he continues to struggle with consistency.

On a first-quarter run, Johnson missed a block on linebacker Kavell Conner that got Rashard Mendenhall crushed. Later in the game and lined up as a true fullback on a lead play, Johnson ran right past Colts’ linebacker Pat Angerer that once again got Mendenhall crushed.

Problem is, the Steelers have nobody better at that position so DJ needs to get better.

* A slow-developing play-action pass deep down the field takes time. And when Roethlisberger hit Wallace for a first-quarter 81-yard touchdown pass, Roethlisberger had plenty of time.

But you know what, those sorts of things happen when you have both your best pass rushers (Freeney and Mathis) on the bench and rush just four. The Colts asked for what they got there.

* I truly think Cris Collinsworth is a talented individual. Now, I might be the only one, but whatever. But saying that Roethlisberger’s little nod in Wallace’s way before his 81-yard touchdown catch was some sort of precursor of what was going to happen was mis-guided.

Roethlisberger nodded at Wallace for him to come in motion – it’s as simple as that.

But you know what, I am all for sensationalistic journalism.

* Troy Polamalu played one of his best games of his career. He was disruptive and seemingly one step ahead of what the Colts were doing.

But with Polamalu, he could easily go the other way next week because his “guesses” usually even out over a course of a year.

* It very well may be time to see less of Aaron Smith.

Smith has just been a shell of himself the first three weeks of the year, and it’s hard to tell why. It doesn’t appear to be any signs of a couple arm injuries over the past couple years affecting his play.

What it looks like is that he is just physically getting whipped. I’d give him a few more games, but the Steelers need to keep a careful eye on him.

* The Steelers ran two screen passes to Mendenhall. That was enough for me for the year. Sure it is a supposed good way of slowing down the speed rush, but seeing Scott, Kemoeatu, Doug Legursky lumber their way down the field is telling – it tells me they can’t do it.

Grading the Starters
    Ben Roethlisberger – B (Played great … except for 3 bonehead plays)
    Rashard Mendenhall – B (Not his fault)
    David Johnson – C (Tough day blocking … Part II)
    Mike Wallace – A (Nobody can stay with him)
    Hines Ward – B (Fitting into a new role nicely)
    Heath Miller – C (Struggled with his blocking)
    Chris Kemoeatu – C (Still lacks explosiveness with pulls)
    Jonathan Scott – C (Not bad, not great)
    Doug Legursky – C (Size has become an issue)
    Maurkice Pouncey – C (Still makes a mistake here and there)
    Marcus Gilbert – C (Better than expected)

Casey Hampton – B (Still getting cut)
    Ziggy Hood – C (Was very quiet again)
    Aaron Smith – D (Struggled with double teams)
    LaMarr Woodley – B (Can’t get to the QB)
    James Farrior – C (Linemen were all over him)
    Lawrence Timmons – B (Best game so far)
    James Harrison – A (Looked like the old Deebo)
    Ike Taylor – A (Shut down Wayne)
    William Gay – B- (Held his own)
    Troy Polamalu – A (Best game ever?)
    Ryan Clark – B (Solid as always)

– Mark Kaboly

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: After further review …

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    After further review …

September 27th, 2011
    [url="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/27/after-further-review-6/#.ToJPN9NeKiY.twitter"]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... iY.twitter[/url]

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Colts game on my DVR

* Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace have developed a strong enough rapport that words don’t need to be said for the two to be thinking the same thing.

That was proven during last week’s win over Seattle when Roethlisberger gave Wallace a look that turned into a short touchdown pass in the back of the end zone.

To steal a famous line from the Big Ben: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

On Dwight Freeney’s strip sack and ensuing touchdown return by Jamaal Anderson wasn’t Jonathan Scott’s fault.

Nope, it was Big Ben and Mike Wallace ‘living by the sword and dying by the sword.’

Rewind back to the third offensive play of the game for the Steelers – a 29-yard catch-and-run by Wallace. Cornerback Jerraud Powers jumped the route, but was late getting to the quick throw from Roethlisberger to Wallace that resulted in a big gain.

Don’t think Roethlisberger and Wallace didn’t notice either that Powers jumped the route.

So when the same play was called late in the first half with the near identical formation other than a third receiver in the game rather than a second tight end, Roethlisberger and Wallace did their own little thing and decided not to let anybody else in on it – well, at least that’s what the films says.

The play was supposed to be another quick-hitter to Wallace, but they decided to fake that and go deep. More like it, it was probably something that was discussed between Roethlisberger, Arians and Wallace sometime during the first half.

In theory, it was a good idea.

In reality, it was a disaster.

First of all, Scott is setting for a two-step drop and a quick throw by Roethlisberger. Scott was in perfect position with his inside protected well for where he thought Roethlisberger was going to be vulnerable.

When Roethlisberger decided to take a couple more steps back, Scott was instantly out of position and Freeney had a free run at him.

What makes this play so intriguing is that even if Roethlisberger would’ve gotten the ball away to Wallace, it would’ve come back.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu was 10 yards down the field going over a linebacker – exactly where he was supposed to be because it was supposed to be such a quick throw. Also, Heath Miller and Hines Ward were already blocking down field.

It just goes to show you that even though the replay appears that Scott was absolutely whipped by Freeney on the play, all the blame really needs to go to the quarterback.

That play seemed odd because it seemed like there was a miscommunication on the play. Good analysis.

* Put me in the minority, but I think Jonathan Scott played pretty well on Sunday.

Mind you, Scott didn’t get much help at all with the preeminent pass rusher in the league in Freeney and did a good enough job to keep him off Roethlisberger when the quarterback didn’t decide not to get out of the pocket.

I am sure you will disagree.

Scott played well vs Freeney in the first half. 2nd half Freeney appeared to have Scotts number with the bull rush. Coaches gave Scott help throughout the game.

* Roethlisberger played a flawless first 18 minutes of the game. He was sharp, he was accurate, and most importantly, he was in rhythm with his passes that made the pass rush unable to get to him.

That's the inconsistency in which I always refer to with Ben. He throws lights out passes like he did on several occasions. Then he will have the pass where he doesn't hit Mendenhall in stride on a swing pass.

However, the first time he tried to make something happen with his legs to extend a play is when the Steelers got into trouble. Mathis forced a fumble.

How you stop the Colts’ pass rush is with the rhythm passing game and the Steelers did that … for the most part.

* LaMarr Woodley hasn’t put pressure on the quarterback because he has been on coverage? Well, against the Colts, Woodley rushed the quarterback 27 times and dropped into coverage 14 times.
    Not sure why but it seems like Woodley is a slow starter.
    * I’m not quite sure what Bruce Arians was thinking by not attempting to block Freeney at all during a Mendenhall first-quarter run. I suppose the fake reverse action by Wallace was supposed to hold Freeney, but who knows?

* David Johnson’s one job is to be a blocker, and he continues to struggle with consistency.

On a first-quarter run, Johnson missed a block on linebacker Kavell Conner that got Rashard Mendenhall crushed. Later in the game and lined up as a true fullback on a lead play, Johnson ran right past Colts’ linebacker Pat Angerer that once again got Mendenhall crushed.

Problem is, the Steelers have nobody better at that position so DJ needs to get better.

* A slow-developing play-action pass deep down the field takes time. And when Roethlisberger hit Wallace for a first-quarter 81-yard touchdown pass, Roethlisberger had plenty of time.
    He had plenty of time for most of the first half.
    But you know what, those sorts of things happen when you have both your best pass rushers (Freeney and Mathis) on the bench and rush just four. The Colts asked for what they got there.
    The Steelers probably knew the Colts would rest those guys based on the Colt's tendencies. So the Steelers took their shot. The Colts probably didn't think the Steelers would go deep based on the Steelers tendencies.
    * I truly think Cris Collinsworth is a talented individual. Now, I might be the only one, but whatever. But saying that Roethlisberger’s little nod in Wallace’s way before his 81-yard touchdown catch was some sort of precursor of what was going to happen was mis-guided.

Roethlisberger nodded at Wallace for him to come in motion – it’s as simple as that.

But you know what, I am all for sensationalistic journalism.

* Troy Polamalu played one of his best games of his career. He was disruptive and seemingly one step ahead of what the Colts were doing.

But with Polamalu, he could easily go the other way next week because his “guesses” usually even out over a course of a year.
    I agree.
    * It very well may be time to see less of Aaron Smith.
    I agree, this is Smith's last year with the Steelers.
    Smith has just been a shell of himself the first three weeks of the year, and it’s hard to tell why. It doesn’t appear to be any signs of a couple arm injuries over the past couple years affecting his play.

What it looks like is that he is just physically getting whipped. I’d give him a few more games, but the Steelers need to keep a careful eye on him.

* The Steelers ran two screen passes to Mendenhall. That was enough for me for the year. Sure it is a supposed good way of slowing down the speed rush, but seeing Scott, Kemoeatu, Doug Legursky lumber their way down the field is telling – it tells me they can’t do it.
    At least they tried lol

It's pretty telling what actually happened when one has a chance to review a game. Coaches have the time and knowledge necessary to conduct a proper analysis. Fans simply don't have all the information. Coaches and players often state they need to review the film to determine what happened. Fans only have half the story. This is another reason why I prefer to place my focus on execution. Fans don't always know the play designs, when plays were changed, ect. The Steelers were very fortunate they won vs the Colts giving the ball away 3 times. Steelers easily lose that game if the Colts were a better team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    After further review …

September 27th, 2011

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Colts game on my DVR ...

I prefer my own unsubstantiatable theories, thank you very much:

1) In this reality timeline, Jonathan Scott IS the worst left tackle, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, and ALWAYS WILL BE ... again. He's on the Moebius strip of eternal LT suckitude. And I don't think you can be "above the line" when you're on a Moebius strip.

2) Oh, and similarly for DJ, and whatever it is position he's supposed to be playing.

However, the first time Ben tried to make something happen with his legs to extend a play is when the Steelers got into trouble. Mathis forced a fumble.

– Mark Kaboly

3) Either the author or I am certifiably insane. I was thinking the only way to beat the Colts pass rush would be to put Ben in motion, preferably to the right. Or heck, how about a screen ... to the left? But this guy is saying we did the best when Ben stayed back in the pocket. OK, I guess I have to sit in the corner with my dunce cap on, because I thought it was like offering Ben up as a sacrifice having him stay in one spot for the two ends to tee on.

On some other of his points:

4) Ben and Wallace have a mind-meld communication style, and anyone who says otherwise isn't watching the replays in slow-mo correctly.

5) Ben sometimes maybe just a tiny little bit could let the ball go a little sooner, but I wouldn't want to say for sure that's correct.

6) Still chewing over whether Tomlin's football IQ (challenges, timeout management, etc.) is evolving inversely to his waist size.

7) Defense is still important somehow in the new NFL, I just can't quite find the words to express how exactly.

Smitty's going to get better.

9) Wallace's speed will only improve now that he has a "little cartilage damage", as per Tomlin.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Troy had an interesting game, but it could have been better.....

On one play in the first half he was in the backfield untouched and chose to take the RB. It was a PA pass play which he instead rushed into an incomplete. Good result but could have been better had he guessed right and taken out Collins.

Second half with Indy deep, Troy finds himself in almost exactly the same situation. This time he focuses on the QB and it is a run. Addai goes in for a TD. Once again, had he guessed right it is a spectacular play.

On his fumble recovery TD play, the announcers were all over the great play by Troy to score. IMO the greater play was made by the guy who sacked and stripped the ball. Troy did well to get into the backfield once again, but had JH not stripped the ball then Troy is simply the first guy to congratulate him on a sack.

Don't get me wrong, Troy did have a great game, but not his greatest ever (as stated by the author), and it really could have been a special game had a few things gone just an inch or two differently.

Legend

User Info Menu

Things are rough in Wyoming if you had time or interest in watching that game again. Do yourself a favor and leave it on the corner for the next wind storm to take it away.

Spend your TV time on what Bruce A watches when he prepared: iCarley.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

scott was getting bull rushed an losing to a guy known for his speed and spin moves.

how the hell is he graded 'above the line'?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree somewhat with Bowman. I watched the tape of the game and other than the completely missed block on Freeney, which can happen with a quick, and explosive passer rusher, Scott's play was not nearly as bad as it is generally portrayed.

Fans focus solely on bad plays and accordingly grade the entire effort of a player by one or two plays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't agree with everything Kaboly says, but at least this is in depth, thoughtful analysis. I'm impressed. This sort of writing is something Bouchette would never attempt. I've grown weary of his rule as king of Steeler writers. He adds very little to a thoughtful discussion.

Good job Kaboly!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.