Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gilberts first half performance...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Gilberts first half performance...

Gilbert did as good as you could expect. As Gilbert grows physically his game will improve. The only thing he could work on now is growing mentally as the season progresses and the pysical part will come with reps and off seasons under his belt. He will start trading off weight for muscle and his strength & agility will improve. Closing the book on Gilbert after one start is as smart as closing the book on the Steeler season after the week 1 loss to the Ravens.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe the Steelers had Gilbert targetted pretty early on in the draft process- probably due in part to Maurkice Pouncey's recomendation's (Don't believe what Insane tells you- Pouncey did have Gilbert's back..).

That they are willing to give him a start in only his second NFL game is a pretty good indication of what they think of him right now- could easily have just 'gone with experience' & played Essex.

Gilbert's future looks on the Left, which I think many of us here agree seems his better position. With Gilbert at LT & (hopefully) Colon at RT, I think the Steelers believe their OT's are covered for a few years yet.

I tend to agree.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He almost finished Ben season but i think it was more of a rookie mistake. Atleast Gilbert was not getting blown of the line like Sam Baker of Atlanta against Trent Cole.

I think Gilbert could be a good LT. I like Colon and Gilbert as Steelers OT for 2012.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    I believe the Steelers had Gilbert targetted pretty early on in the draft process- probably due in part to Maurkice Pouncey's recomendation's (Don't believe what Insane tells you- Pouncey did have Gilbert's back..).

That they are willing to give him a start in only his second NFL game is a pretty good indication of what they think of him right now- could easily have just 'gone with experience' & played Essex.

Gilbert's future looks on the Left, which I think many of us here agree seems his better position. With Gilbert at LT & (hopefully) Colon at RT, I think the Steelers believe their OT's are covered for a few years yet.

I tend to agree.
    You make it sound like they had a choice. Essex wasn't even on the team a month ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

keep him on the right side. colon cant be trusted now that he's essentially missed 2 seasons in a row.

then if we dont look at a corner in the 1st round, look for an LT

a 1st,1st, and 2nd round draft choice along the OL has the recipe of a dominant line in the making

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers rookie RT Gilbert regrets shaky debut
    By NFL.com Staff |
    Published: September 19th, 2011 |

[url="http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/19/steelers-rookie-rt-gilbert-regrets-shaky-debut/?module=HP11_blog_stack"]http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/19/steeler ... blog_stack[/url]

Rookie OL Marcus Gilbert‘s first day on the job for the Steelers was, at times, a little bit more Woody Allen than Damien Woody.

The second-round draft pick out of Florida, making his first start at right tackle, allowed a drive-killing sack in the first quarter of the Steelers’ 24-0 victory over the Seahawks — but it was his next gaffe, late in the first half, that had the Rooney family squirming.

Seattle’s Raheem Brock escaped past Gilbert to blast low into Ben Roethlisberger‘s right knee, leaving the QB twisting in pain on the ground.

“It was a miscommunication,” Gilbert told The Associated Press, before turning to fellow lineman Ramon Foster for support.

Said Foster: “I told him, ‘I got (Ben’s) nose broken last year.’ It’s just one of those things, don’t let it happen again. I think he’ll learn from it.”

If Roethlisberger was annoyed by Gilbert’s debut, he didn’t show it, saying he “did a great job.”

While it was predicted that rookies would be living in a world of chaos following a lockout-addled offseason that prevented them from adapting to the pace and demands of NFL play, this was more the case of learning on the job with a Steelers offensive line riddled with injuries and early season issues.

– Marc Sessler

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers coach pleased with play of Gilbert

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Monday, September 19, 2011

He didn't lavish praise on right tackle Marcus Gilbert following the Steelers' 24-0 win against the Seahawks.

But considering how rarely he talks up rookies, it was significant that coach Mike Tomlin said Gilbert's play Sunday was "above the line."

"I thought we had some movement there in the first half running the ball on his side," Tomlin said.

Taking over for Willie Colon, who's out for the rest of the season with a torn triceps, Gilbert got introduced with the rest of the offensive starters yesterday at Heinz Field.

"Running out of the tunnel, most people don't get an opportunity to do that," the second-round draft pick out of Florida said. "I got my nervousness out (of the way)."

"I am very proud of the way he stepped up," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who challenged Gilbert last week, after the Steelers found out Colon had been lost for the season. "I don't think the game was too big for him."

Gilbert said he will wait until after watching film before evaluating how he played.

"I'm never satisfied with what I do because I want to be a great player, and I want to help my team," Gilbert said.

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_757536.html#ixzz1YSPpAUDx"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1YSPpAUDx[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    SKL, everyone knew that run blocking wasnt Gilbert's strength...especially the Steelers brass. He was drafted because of his ability to pass block...which has been a huge Achilles heal for this team the past several years. It was widely known that Gilbert would need to get stronger for run blocking. However the Steelers saw enough in his ability to pass block to take that risk. So far I see it is paying off.
    Love looking back

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I knew this was coming. If I say the sky is blue you say no it's not. Gilbert's strength actually is his run blocking, the guy didn't get moved to tackle till his senior year. Having said that he isn't very good at either. He will get abused by a team with any creative blitz packages. I would even say that Wade Philips will have the Texans giving him fits. Don't be surprised if Ben gets his neck broken.
    Yup, good stuff.