Thread: Tomlin: Gilbert to RT

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin: Gilbert to RT

per Steelers.com

Colon has surgery, Gilbert to play
    By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 30 minutes ago

aaSteelers tackle Willie Colon underwent surgery on Tuesday morning for a torn triceps muscle suffered against the Baltimore Ravens.

“He is going to be out for an extended period of time to say the least, probable IR, we haven’t made that determination yet,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We’re going to let him come out of recovery and those things before we proceed.”

This is the second year that Colon suffered what could be a season-ending injury. Last year Colon missed the season with an Achilles injury suffered during the offseason.

“Needless to say it’s a personal blow for Willie Colon,” said Tomlin. “We are saddened for him. For Willie, going down two consecutive seasons is a tough blow. We’ll keep him close and encourage him and help him through what I am sure if going to be a tough time with rehab and so forth. More than anything Willie is a guy that loves to play the game of football and he won’t be given an opportunity to do that.

“For us we acknowledge that this is a natural part of the game of football. Things like this along the journey happen. As a football team we’ll do what football teams do of course, the next man up will move on and we’ll expect him to play to the same standard.”

That next person will be second-round pick Marcus Gilbert, who was drafted to play the left tackle position. Tomlin also said he will bring in some tackles to look at for a back-up role.
    “We like where he is. He has performed well for us,” said Tomlin of Gilbert. “He is a talented young guy, doesn’t have a great deal of experience. We’re going to give him an opportunity to play and show what he is capable of.”
    There ya have it.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin: Gilbert to RT

Can he play RG and LT tackle too?

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see what this kid could do there.

Backup

User Info Menu

All I'm asking is for him to come in and play as well as Flozell did. That will be fine for me in his rookie year.

And if Legursky doesn't show in the Seahawks game, then put Foster back. The team did fine while he was in there. Never really understood the switch. I like Legursky. He's a great effort guy and that can sometimes be enough in this league. But I don't know why Foster lost the starting gig. I just want the best guy for the job. That appeared to be Foster. At least last year anyway. -insight?-

Lookin' forward to seein' what Gilbert can bring to the table.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As well as Flozell? that might be hoping for a little much. this kid has been getting most of his work at LT and is raw. He is going to make mistakes. But, hopefully he will improve during this softer portion of the schedule and can be hitting his stride in a few weeks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers rookie Gilbert gets nod at right tackle

By Scott Brown
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011

With Willie Colon out for the season, the Steelers will turn to a rookie at right tackle.

Marcus Gilbert will make his first career start Sunday when the Seattle Seahawks visit Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game.

Gilbert, a second-round pick in April, takes over for Willie Colon, who had surgery this morning to repair a torn triceps.

The Steelers have placed Colon on injured reserve and signed offensive tackle Jamon Meredith.

Meredith worked out for the Steelers today along with veteran Ray Willis. The 6-5, 312-pounder started four games for the Bills in 2009, when he was in Buffalo with Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler.

Meredith's signing rules out the Steelers bringing back Flozell Adams or Max Starks to fill the void left by Colon's second season-ending injury in as many years.

Gilbert has been playing primarily at left tackle, but the Steelers like the progress the former University of Florida standout has made following a slow start to training camp.

"He's shown he's not a fish out of water," Tomlin said. "We like his pedigree. He's a talented guy."

In other injury news, Tomlin said outside linebacker James Harrison is "fine" after sustaining a knee contusion in the Steelers' 35-7 loss in Baltimore last Sunday.

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery and outside linebacker Chris Carter are still working through hamstring injuries, Tomlin said. Both are expected to try running today, and Tomlin said he is hopeful both are able to practice tomorrow.

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/print_756534.html#ixzz1Xrns1hFJ"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Xrns1hFJ[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Was it me or did we run the ball against the Ravens as well as I can remember??? Until we got down and pass pass pass was the game plan???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems to me like Gilbert would be better suited at LT than RT. Wonder why we wouldn't try Gilbert on the left and move Scott over to the right side.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Was it me or did we run the ball against the Ravens as well as I can remember??? Until we got down and pass pass pass was the game plan???
    I thought we were running the ball pretty well early, until we peed in the pool w/o Matt Spaeth to do it for us.

Buckle up, young man. We need you to come through for us.

Starter

User Info Menu

If Gilbert plays the whole year, I will bet anyone he will give up at least 30-40 sacks all by himself. I also bet Ben will get sacked 90 + times this season...and I seriously doubt I will get any takers on this bet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Seems to me like Gilbert would be better suited at LT than RT. Wonder why we wouldn't try Gilbert on the left and move Scott over to the right side.

probably a continuity thing, by putting Gilbert at RT you can leave the other 4 starters alone and allow them to develop some chemistry together.

God knows they need it...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha