Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So now what?

So now what?

Will the Steelers come out to play like we know they can next week, or fold up like a cheap lawn chair?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: So now what?

the Steelers will dominate next week for two main reasons:

1) the Steelers are a proud team and are winners.

2) the Seahawks suck.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    the Steelers will dominate next week for two main reasons:

1) the Steelers are a proud team and are winners.

2) the Seahawks suck.

uuuuuuuuuuummmm I don't mean to be a stick in the mud ,,,but thats what we said about the Ravens

However I do agree

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

The perennial, contending Steelers would dominate the Bags next week.

However, we have the occasional year where we aren't that team. And in those years, we struggle to find that identity (i.e. suffocating D) and have a rocky, rollercoaster-like season. I think even in those years, we beat a team like the Bags 8 of 10 times. But we don't shut them down, like we know our '08 team would've, or last year's team would've.

I think this next week will say a lot about what kind of season we can expect.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

"So now what?"

In my opinion, the Steelers of 2011 are going to have to rely on the offense to win games of any importance. The defense will be fine against the bottom feeders, but against playoff teams the offense has to come to the forefront and take over. If you win the toss, you take the ball and try to put points on the board, do not defer and put your defense out there hoping for a three and out, it isn't happening against a good offense.

It's time for the Steelers to transform from relying on its defense to relying on its offense. The offense is younger and needs to take this season by the horns starting next weekend.

IMO, that's "what now"

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    In my opinion, the Steelers of 2011 are going to have to rely on the offense to win games of any importance.
    The offense turned the ball over 7 times yesterday against a quality defense. I didn't see anything better from them than I did the defense yesterday.
    The defense will be fine against the bottom feeders..
    IMHO..the same could/can be said for the offense.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades
    In my opinion, the Steelers of 2011 are going to have to rely on the offense to win games of any importance.
    The offense turned the ball over 7 times yesterday against a quality defense. I didn't see anything better from them than I did the defense yesterday.
    The defense will be fine against the bottom feeders..
    IMHO..the same could/can be said for the offense.
    That may be true, but, with the rules the way they are and the younger squad being the offense they are the unit that is going to have to win games. Can they do it against the good teams? I have no idea, but the question was "Now What?" and I don't believe the Steelers can rely on the defense to win games or keep them in games. I don't believe the "Now What?" is to rely on the defense as in the past. The offense needs to score points and hope the defense can get a few stops per game. The days of completely shutting down offenses may be over.

You may be right about the offense and not being able to do it, in my mind, they need to do it or it will be a long season. The NFL is going to be one big fast break this year and if you aren't averaging 25+ points per game you're going to be left behind. That's my take, there's no use trying to buck that trend, it's here, it's real and it's what will be necessary to win, IMO.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

The NFL is going to be one big fast break this year and if you aren't averaging 25+ points per game you're going to be left behind. That's my take, there's no use trying to buck that trend, it's here, it's real and it's what will be necessary to win, IMO.
    Agreed. That has been trend. However, I haven't seen many signs from this offense over the last few years (and certainly NOT yesterday) that would suggest they are a big time scoring machine. They just haven't put up a lot of points and definitely not enough to compensate for a defense that gives up 24+ a game. I think we're are going to have to count on both the offense and defense racking up wins against weak sister teams and hope for some miraculous transformation before gaining a wild card entry into the playoffs. Just my opinion....
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend

we don't win most shoot outs... the only way we win is if the D shows up. This could be 2009 all over again if our D continues down this path.

Legend

"So now what?"

In my opinion, the Steelers of 2011 are going to have to rely on the offense to win games of any importance. The defense will be fine against the bottom feeders, but against playoff teams the offense has to come to the forefront and take over. If you win the toss, you take the ball and try to put points on the board, do not defer and put your defense out there hoping for a three and out, it isn't happening against a good offense.

It's time for the Steelers to transform from relying on its defense to relying on its offense. The offense is younger and needs to take this season by the horns starting next weekend.

IMO, that's "what now"

Pappy
    Pappy--Totally agree. It is exactly what I have been saying all of the off season since it was obvious to anyone who wanted to see what the Pats did to us, the Jets comeback that fell short and the Packers. Our defense has been figured out and our DC is the last one to figure out that we have been figured out. That is what happens when you are too in love with your own creation.

IMO our only chance for a good season relies on the offense not being abysmal like they were yesterday. We are going to have to score lots of points because we sure look like we are going to give up lots to any play off caliber team.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!