Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game One = One Game

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Game One = One Game

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    time to re-build the defense

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Common Ruthless, did you see the defense turn the ball over 7 times???

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

no, but I did see Ray Rice gain over 100 yards rushing, averaging 5.6 ypc with 2 TDs ( 1 rushing, 1 receiving) while Flacco threw for 224 yards with 3 TDs and zero interceptions and a 117.6 passer rating.

the Ravens' defense completely outplayed our defense, forcing 7 Steelers turnovers while our defense wasn't able to force even one Ravens turnover. our offense was horrible today, but our defense got pushed around all game long and made Joe Flacco look like he was an elite QB, which he's not.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

no, but I did see Ray Rice gain over 100 yards rushing, averaging 5.6 ypc with 2 TDs ( 1 rushing, 1 receiving) while Flacco threw for 224 yards with 3 TDs and zero interceptions and a 117.6 passer rating.

the Ravens' defense completely outplayed our defense, forcing 7 Steelers turnovers while our defense wasn't able to force even one Ravens turnover. our offense was horrible today, but our defense got pushed around all game long and made Joe Flacco look like he was an elite QB, which he's not.
    I can't argue with any of this, but calling for us to completely re-build the defense after 1 game is reactionary nonsense.

It's one loss, for goodness sake. People need some perspective.

How many games did the World Champion Packers lose last year? Six. And not all of their losses were to playoff-tested teams like the Ravens...they managed to lose games to the likes of the Redskins, Dolphins, and Lions last year...and yet still somehow won the Super Bowl. Go figure. Losses happen. Even embarrassing ones. Let's see how the team responds before bringing in a priest for last rites.

How many games did the World Champion Packers lose last year? Six. And not all of their losses were to playoff-tested teams like the Ravens...they managed to lose games to the likes of the Redskins, Dolphins, and Lions last year...and yet still somehow won the Super Bowl. Go figure. Losses happen.

the Packers may have lost six games last year, but not one of their losses was by more than six points.

Starter

Agreed. It is only one game. If we are going to take a beat down (which we clearly did) then it might as well be on the road in week one against our most bitter rival. Put this one behind us and move on.

You have to realize that we were playing with the house's money today. If we would have won on the road against our rival then it would have been nice.

If we lost (which we did) then it was to be (somewhat) expected.

So what.. Give it a rest. I remember long ago when a particular team got destroyed by the Bengals and Browns to open up a season. The total scores of those 2 games were like 92-10, and guess what? We STILL made the playoffs and almost made it to the SB.

Just like Ruthless and everyone else is saying- RELAX, take a deep breath, and be patient. The season is 17 weeks long- lets see where we are in late October.

Woodley said after the game today that they are expecting to play a long 19 game season- its week 1....

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Me personally I am having a hard time with not just this one game, but the last 6 games the Steelers have lost over the past 20 games. They all have the same theme. Very little pressure on the QB.

LeBeau has changed. Plan and simple.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Trying to Put a Positive Spin on the Steelers 35-7 Loss to the Ravens in Week One

by Anthony Defeo on Sep 11, 2011

Offensive lineman Jonathan Scott #72 of the Pittsburgh Steelers looks on from the bench during the closing minutes of the Steelers 35-7 loss to the Baltimore Ravens

Boy, I haven't felt this bad after the first game of a Steelers' season since the 1989 opener at Three Rivers Stadium when the Cleveland Browns throttled the Pittsburgh Steelers, 51-0.

Ironically enough, it was that same franchise--this time, as the Baltimore Ravens--who gave me that same, sickening feeling today.

The Ravens did their best to ensure that Steelers fans wouldn't have much to twirl their Terrible Towels about today as they pounced on Pittsburgh from the opening-kickoff and never let up. Baltimore jumped out to a 14-0 lead early-on and led, 21-7, at halftime.

Any thoughts of the Steelers repeating their playoff comeback were thwarted on the first play from scrimmage in the 3rd quarter when Ravens' defensive tackle Haloti Ngata charged into the backfield and nailed Rashard Mendenhall just as he was taking the hand off and forced a fumble in-which the Ravens recovered.

Baltimore took advantage and scored immediately, and after punter Sam Koch caught the Steelers napping on the extra point try and ran it in for two-more points, the Ravens were up, 29-7, and never looked back, cruising to a 35-7 victory.

The Steelers turned the ball over an astounding seven times today, and this continued a trend that has seen the team commit 14 turnovers in their last four games dating back to their Divisional playoff match-up against Baltimore in January.

Today was also the third time in the last four games that Pittsburgh fell behind by two-scores or more.

They were fortunate to overcome their early mistakes against the Ravens in their previous meeting, but today was just a disaster.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Steelers looked out-classed most of the day. Unlike the Ravens front-seven that seemed to harass Ben Roethlisberger the entire afternoon, the Steelers could barely get off the ball against Baltimore's supposed patch-work offensive line.

Ray Rice rushed for over a hundred yards and a touchdown and torched Pittsburgh's pass-defense with several catches underneath for crucial third-down pick-ups and another score.

Joe Flacco had plenty of time to throw the entire afternoon and was only sacked one time and very rarely knocked down or even hurried.

Troy Polamalu seemed invisible, once again. His only action of note was being at the center of a brawl late in the game.

All-in-all, just a bad day to a be a Pittsburgh Steeler and a Pittsburgh Steeler fan.

Now, for the good news! The Baltimore Ravens looked like a Super Bowl team today. I'm not really referring to their performance on the field (although, their dominance over Pittsburgh was Super Bowl caliber), I'm talking about their reactions on the sideline.

Towards the end of the game today, Baltimore's players and coaches looked like a team that had just exorcised a demon. John Harbaugh almost looked like Bill Cowher at the end of Super Bowl XL.

Speaking of that, I half-expected someone to present the team with some sort of trophy right after the game ended, that's how happy and relieved the Ravens looked after dominating Pittsburgh.

It's pretty obvious that Baltimore's singular focus since January 15th was beating the Pittsburgh Steelers. Today, they did that. They were the better football team, there is no way even the most die hard and stubborn Steelers fan can say otherwise. Baltimore beat the Steelers with Roethlisberger under center. Flacco looked like an elite quarterback. The Steelers were totally out-classed, out-hustle, out-schemed, and out-muscled.

What's the good news in all of that? It's only week one.

In 1989, the Pittsburgh Steelers rebounded from that horrific game to make the playoffs.

In 1997, the Steelers lost, 37-7, to the Dallas Cowboys before the home folks but went on to claim yet another division title and make it all the way to the AFC Championship game.

Back in 2003, the Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of two-straight division titles, totally out-classed the Baltimore Ravens in a week one match-up at Heinz Field. I think we all remember how the season unfolded for both teams. The Steelers totally fell-apart the rest of the way and finished the year 6-10. The Ravens rebounded to go 10-6 and win their first division title in team history.

The New England Patriots were also totally out-classed in week one of the 2003 season when they went to Buffalo and were stomped, 31-0. They finished their season with a 14-2 record and won their second Super Bowl.

Why am I saying all this? I mean, it has nothing to do with today, right? No, but most teams don't truly hit their stride and find their identities in September. Also, some teams peak in September, and others peak in January.

Can you picture the Baltimore Ravens playing any better than they did today? Can you picture the Pittsburgh Steelers playing any worse than they just did today?

Unlike the '89 group, this Steelers team has the heart of a champion. They've been to the top of the mountain. They know how to rebound from some pretty embarrassing losses and not only survive, but thrive.

The Ravens gave Pittsburgh their best knock-out punch, but all they did was knock them-down.....not out. It's only round one.

Have the Ravens overtaken the Steelers? I'll let you know in round 12.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump