Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Troy

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers sign Troy

Does that make Wallace the only notable free agent next year? Where could I find when the contracts of our players expires? Is there a website with all that info?

Adrian Petersen contract means we will probably hear from chronic malcontent Chris Johnson again.

Legend

User Info Menu

FROM TWITTER
    I am happy to say that I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!
    @tpolamalu Troy Polamalu
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd have been ok with franchise QB money for Troy.

Wooooohoooooooo!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

The entire contract should be guaranteed as far as I'm concerned. I hope they wrote in some 1 or 2 optional years, in case at 34 years of age Troy still has some gas left in the tank.

Steeler fans should start appreciating Troy, 4 years will go by quickly and that may be the last time he plays.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

i have no problems w/ the terms of the deal if the rumors are correct.

Troy is the overall best SS in the league and quite possibly the best defensive player in the league when he's healthy. The Steelers defense is significantly dependent on his outstanding play as represented by the Steelers record when he's NOT playing.

When a big play needs to happen, it's like Troy is a magnet to the ball. I'm happy the Steelers got this worked out and Troy will retire a Steeler. Congrats Troy, you deserved it.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why are other contracts even being compared here. Troy doesn't need to give the FO a hometown discount... he's more than lived up to his contract and he's the best safety in the game. He most certainly deserves the best contract... not only by the merit of his play but also by how he's represented the organization. One of the true character guys in the league. Big kudos to yet another future hall of famer from our beloved team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan
    Like was said, we don't know if those numbers are true. But if they are, it is hardly a discounted deal. I mean 4 years at almost 37 million ? Weddle's new deal was 5 years for 40 million, and Ed Reed;s deal was for 6 years at 44 million. That makes Troy's average per year deal well over those two players. So it's not like Troy gave us a Home Town discount here.
    Ed Reed's 6 year/$44 Million deal was signed in 2006. What the hell does that have to do with Troy's contract signing in 2011?

My next question to you is why are you bringing Weddle into the conversation? I had to go look up what team he was on. Do you really think he compares to Troy, or Reed, or Berry or even Earl Thomas?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Polamalu agrees to four-year extension
    [url="http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-rt-fbn-steelers-team-reports1012d07a1-20110910,0,5302456.story"]http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-rt-fb ... 2456.story[/url]

SafetyTroy Polamalu has agreed to a four-year extension with the Steelers that puts him under contract through 2014, according to multiple reports.

"I am happy to say I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler," Polamalu wrote on his Twitter account Saturday.

Financial terms weren't immediately available. Polamalu had been scheduled to enter the final year of his contract set to earn $6.4 million. But the sides have been working on an extension, and the Steelers recently locked up fellow defendersLaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons with multi-year deals.

Polamalu and the Steelers had been approaching an important deadline, as the team has a policy not to negotiate contracts once the regular season begins.

The three-time All-Pro Polamalu has also been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls.

--Pittsburgh-Baltimore has been a razor-close series but the Steelers have won six of the past eight, including victories in two of the past three post-seasons on way to theSuper Bowl.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley said this summer that theRavens would never get to a Super Bowl because they could not get past the Steelers first. Safety Ryan Clark tweeted there really is no rivalry between the teams because the Ravens don't win enough and "both teams have to win equally" to make it a rivalry.

QuarterbackBen Roethlisberger, who had his nose broken last Dec. 5 in Baltimore when swiped by Halot Ngata, asked his teammates to cease and desist with any more comments about the Ravens.

"It's a huge rivarly," Roethlisberger insisted, "and I keep telling our guys to stop tweeting stuff and everything because I'm the one who feels the brunt of it, not them, not the defensive guys."

Some Steelers have tried to downplay the importance of their game against the Ravens, calling it merely one of 16, but it's much more than that. The Steelers have virtually every starter back and with the lockout and a veteran team and coaching staff, they should be weeks ahead of a team like Baltimore that has undergone many more changes in personnel.

A loss under those circumstances in the first game to the Ravens would not be a good sign for Pittsburgh and could keep them behind them the rest of the season. Pittsburgh also hasn't lost an opening game since 2002, when they were drubbed in New England.

"We just open up well, it's a knack we have," said offensive tackleWillie Colon.

They last opened against Baltimore in 2003, back when that was a regular occurrence. The Steelers and Ravens opened the season three times over a six-year span from 1998 through 2003. Even though most people believe theAFC North Division again will come down to Steelers-Ravens with Cincinnati and Cleveland trailing badly, the series will conclude by the ninth game of the season and not in December as has been the case the past five seasons and nine of the past 10 seasons, setting up for some late-season drama in the playoff chase.

That makes Sunday's game even more urgent.

"You want to go out there and put on a great show and let them know what the division is going to be like," wide receiverHines Ward said. "As a player, you know it's going to come down to Baltimore and Pittsburgh all the time. It's a challenge for us to be a dominant road team. What better way than go into Baltimore and see if we can steal one."

SERIES HISTORY: 31st regular-season meeting. Steelers lead series, 18-12, plus are 3-0 in the post-season. The Steelers have won six of the past eight, including their most recent game in Baltimore Dec. 5 that virtually decided the AFC North title. They then beat the Ravens in the playoffs at Heinz Field on way to their eighth Super Bowl appearance. The Steelers also have an 8-7 overall record in Baltimore.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, September 10, 2011
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56168.html[/url]

The Steelers concluded a busy offseason with an 11th-hour signing of one of their best and most recognizable players.

The team agreed to a four-year contract with strong safety Troy Polamalu, locking up the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year through the 2014 season.

"I'm happy to say I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!" he wrote on his Twitter account Saturday.

Polamalu, 30, signed his new contract at Pittsburgh International Airport before the Steelers flew to Baltimore.

He is the fourth defensive player the Steelers have signed to a long-term contract since late July, joining cornerback Ike Taylor (four years, $28 million) and linebackers LaMarr Woodley (six years, $61.5 million) and Lawrence Timmons (five years, $50 million).

The Steelers also signed right tackle Willie Colon (five years, $29 million) during the preseason.

Polamalu, who tied for second in the NFL with seven interceptions last season, was entering the final year of a contract he signed in 2007. He was due to make $6.4 million this season.

The nine-year veteran and the Steelers narrowly beat a deadline in completing the deal, the terms of which were not immediately available. The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts during the regular season.

Team officials could not be reached for comment. But the news brought rejoicing from teammate and fellow safety Ryan Clark.

"Thank God! My brother (Polamalu) will retire a Steeler! That's the way it should be! Thank God!" Clark wrote on Twitter.

Polamalu has been named first-team All-Pro three times (2005, '08, '10) and been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls. He was the 2010 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The signing may quell concerns Steelers fans have about Polamalu's health.

Polamalu missed two games last December with an Achilles problem, and the injury hampered the six-time Pro Bowler for the rest of the season.

He has missed 21 games during the past five seasons.

Polamalu admittedly was not 100 percent when he reported to training camp in July. But he looked like one of the most dynamic players in the NFL in the Steelers' second preseason game last month when he intercepted a Michael Vick pass and returned it 36 yards.

Polamalu also popped right up after the Eagles quarterback took him down with a shot to the knee.

"I feel good," Polamalu said late last week. "It's irrelevant how I feel. It only matters how I play."

With Polamalu signed, the Steelers only have one of their cornerstone players entering the final year of his contract. But receiver Mike Wallace will be only a restricted free agent after this season, his third in the league.

That means the Steelers can choose to match an offer made by an opposing team. They likely would receive at least a first-round draft pick in return if Wallace signed elsewhere.

Read more: Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html#ixzz1XcFFDyXB"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1XcFFDyXB[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, September 10, 2011
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56168.html[/url]

The Steelers concluded a busy offseason with an 11th-hour signing of one of their best and most recognizable players.

The team agreed to a four-year contract with strong safety Troy Polamalu, locking up the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year through the 2014 season.

"I'm happy to say I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!" he wrote on his Twitter account Saturday.

Polamalu, 30, signed his new contract at Pittsburgh International Airport before the Steelers flew to Baltimore.

He is the fourth defensive player the Steelers have signed to a long-term contract since late July, joining cornerback Ike Taylor (four years, $28 million) and linebackers LaMarr Woodley (six years, $61.5 million) and Lawrence Timmons (five years, $50 million).

The Steelers also signed right tackle Willie Colon (five years, $29 million) during the preseason.

Polamalu, who tied for second in the NFL with seven interceptions last season, was entering the final year of a contract he signed in 2007. He was due to make $6.4 million this season.

The nine-year veteran and the Steelers narrowly beat a deadline in completing the deal, the terms of which were not immediately available. The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts during the regular season.

Team officials could not be reached for comment. But the news brought rejoicing from teammate and fellow safety Ryan Clark.

"Thank God! My brother (Polamalu) will retire a Steeler! That's the way it should be! Thank God!" Clark wrote on Twitter.

Polamalu has been named first-team All-Pro three times (2005, '08, '10) and been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls. He was the 2010 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The signing may quell concerns Steelers fans have about Polamalu's health.

Polamalu missed two games last December with an Achilles problem, and the injury hampered the six-time Pro Bowler for the rest of the season.

He has missed 21 games during the past five seasons.

Polamalu admittedly was not 100 percent when he reported to training camp in July. But he looked like one of the most dynamic players in the NFL in the Steelers' second preseason game last month when he intercepted a Michael Vick pass and returned it 36 yards.

Polamalu also popped right up after the Eagles quarterback took him down with a shot to the knee.

"I feel good," Polamalu said late last week. "It's irrelevant how I feel. It only matters how I play."

With Polamalu signed, the Steelers only have one of their cornerstone players entering the final year of his contract. But receiver Mike Wallace will be only a restricted free agent after this season, his third in the league.

That means the Steelers can choose to match an offer made by an opposing team. They likely would receive at least a first-round draft pick in return if Wallace signed elsewhere.

Read more: Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html#ixzz1XcFFDyXB"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1XcFFDyXB[/url]

The Steelers need to be careful with this approach if Wallace has another great year. Another team could very well be willing to give up a first round pick and pay large dollars for a WR that is already an 85%-90% finished product rather than taking a "chance" and drafting a 1st round WR that needs to be developed into an NFL quality WR.

I'd rather they get him signed and be done with it. The Steelers hit the jackpot with Wallace, don't throw it away and I'm sure Kahn and Colbert will do just that.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount