Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Watch the GOP Debate this week?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Anyone Watch the GOP Debate this week?

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Gridlock is the best that I can hope for, at least, if nothing gets done I can't get hurt any worse than I already am being abused by our "benevolent" (yea, right) government.
    Sad but true.

At the end of the day, all activity by gov't turns out bad. Any idea to spend money or make a rule almost always has negative consequences.

So our best hope is inactivity.

Wonder if some candidate could run on the platform of "I won't do anything and you'll be better off as a result"?

The idea that the president or congress or any gov't figure can positively impact my life is almost laughable to me.

I kinda wish someone famous would run a "Don't Vote" campaign (a la MTV's Rock the Vote). Seriously, who votes for the Dem and Republican candidates? Time and again the choices are bad and I really think they only reason these guys get any votes is the media guilts people into believing it's their civic duty to vote.

I think the media decides who they will vilify and who they will cover up for. The American voter listens like the zombies they are, and just buys the media crap.

Check out this Gallup poll just released:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149624/Ma...eive-Bias.aspx

I don't trust the other 45% who trusts the media.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

If Ron Paul can't make something happen this election, then I sure hope his son, Rand Paul, takes a few cracks at it over the next couple of election cycles.

I'm looking forward to voting for Rick Perry in the primary. Whoever wins in that primary process will be the candidate I vote for in the general election. The worst candidate in the GOP right now is still better than our current president, IMO.

The candidate I would most like would be a hybrid of most of them. That candidate doesn't exist so I'll cast my vote for the person with what I think are the best experience, philosophy and vision for the country.

So many people used 2008 as an American Idol election and voted for the guy in office now. They liked him and didn't think experience or a track record mattered because they thought it couldn't get any worse than Bush. They were wrong. Really, really wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    So many people used 2008 as an American Idol election and voted for the guy in office now. They liked him and didn't think experience or a track record mattered because they thought it couldn't get any worse than Bush. They were wrong. Really, really wrong.

Well said. It's really sick how much power the media has. Plato was right: It's preposterous to think that the average person has what it takes to decide on government.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

I don't think the media is the main problem in the poor quality of candidates available. The problem is that BOTH sides are really controlled by the same group - the financial class. The difference is the Dems pretend otherwise, and the Republicans make no bones about it.

The big bailouts: where did they go to ... the banks. How much of that money from the government (i.e., OUR money) wound up in OUR pockets? Hardly any.

Who was running the country when the bailouts were made? FIRST it was Bush and the Republican Congress (remember it was Nov or Dec 08 when the first bailout was set up) ... THEN it was Obama and the Democratic Congress.

Absolutely NO difference in policy between the two extremes. That's because no one can get elected without Wall Street money. And it will never change until people can get elected without slobberknocking the folks with buckets of money.

Just my 2c - "literally"!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    I don't think the media is the main problem in the poor quality of candidates available. The problem is that BOTH sides are really controlled by the same group - the financial class. The difference is the Dems pretend otherwise, and the Republicans make no bones about it.

The big bailouts: where did they go to ... the banks. How much of that money from the government (i.e., OUR money) wound up in OUR pockets? Hardly any.

Who was running the country when the bailouts were made? FIRST it was Bush and the Republican Congress (remember it was Nov or Dec 08 when the first bailout was set up) ... THEN it was Obama and the Democratic Congress.

Absolutely NO difference in policy between the two extremes. That's because no one can get elected without Wall Street money. And it will never change until people can get elected without slobberknocking the folks with buckets of money.

Not to nitpick, but we had a Democrat congress in 2008.

-

Not a nitpick at all, but of course the main point was that it was both the Repubs (Bush) and the Dems (Obama) that have sent up the bailouts for the banks - hard to find daylight between the two when it comes to protecting the people that finance their reelection campaigns.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

-

Not a nitpick at all, but of course the main point was that it was both the Repubs (Bush) and the Dems (Obama) that have sent up the bailouts for the banks - hard to find daylight between the two when it comes to protecting the people that finance their reelection campaigns.
    The difference is that the Reps don't say whether they would do this or not, then do it, while the Dems say that they would never do it, then do it.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

While I have to agree with the point that both parties are really the same (Republicrats) when it comes to the end result, I also must acknowledge a certain individual running this year by the name of Ron Paul. Dr. Paul has been an advocate of free markets and sound money for almost 30 years. While all of his positions may not be "suitable" for the American mass population, his core values are stable and reliable. Go back 20 years, when he ran as a Libertarian, you will hear much of the same that he is talking about now. My point is this, his voting record is flawless when it comes to standing by his values. Ron Paul also will not change his talking points or positions (Flip-Flop) for a certain crowd or vote. He is truly a representative of and for the American people.

Also San Antonio, you are right when it comes to politicians slobbering all over the wall street financiers and billion dolor investors. Seems to be the only way you gain any "credibility" , if you can call it that, is by being backed by multi-billionaires who have there hands in the medias playbook. This then becomes more interesting when you find that most of the general population will just simply accept what the media tells them and vote accordingly.

I have a bit of light however on this subject, because this time around we have a REAL choice. Ron Paul has the credibility and the support to back him on his positions. There is going to be a "Black This Out Moneybomb" one week from today on October 19th. The theme truly is to show the media, and all others, that Ron Paul is a real force in this upcoming primary and caucus cycle and that ignoring him will not make him, nor the ideas he presents just dissapear. I believe the current goal for the 24 hour event is around 5-6 million dollars raised. A quick Google search will give you more info on this.

My point in all this is that we all may have different beliefs and we all may have different goals in mind, but, I think we can all agree that peace and prosperity, not only for us, but for our children and children's children is what is important here.